Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery alternative to storage heaters

• 26-01-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Just a thought that popped into my head recently while watching a YouTube video on the Tesla powerwall.

My apartment is heated exclusively by electricity, primarily by storage heaters.

I found myself wondering about the economics of replacing storage heaters with regular electric heaters but powered from a battery which charges on night rate electricity.

Given the lack of controllability of storage heaters, losses during times when I'm not home etc., there would be some advantages to batteries. They can hold their energy better than a hot brick, have electronic timers and thermostats and so on.

As I'm not aware of any such products I guess the economics aren't there but does anyone have an estimate of how close (or far) batteries are from competing with storage heaters?

Also how would the energy density compare? Would a battery with equivalent capacity of a storage heater be the size of my living room?

As you can see I've done none of the math on this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Just a thought that popped into my head recently while watching a YouTube video on the Tesla powerwall.

My apartment is heated exclusively by electricity, primarily by storage heaters.

I found myself wondering about the economics of replacing storage heaters with regular electric heaters but powered from a battery which charges on night rate electricity.

Given the lack of controllability of storage heaters, losses during times when I'm not home etc., there would be some advantages to batteries. They can hold their energy better than a hot brick, have electronic timers and thermostats and so on.

As I'm not aware of any such products I guess the economics aren't there but does anyone have an estimate of how close (or far) batteries are from competing with storage heaters?

Also how would the energy density compare? Would a battery with equivalent capacity of a storage heater be the size of my living room?

As you can see I've done none of the math on this!

Looks like somebody has been thinking along the same lines as you:

https://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/plug-and-play-radiator-doubles-home-energy-storage-solution-lower-electric-bills.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

ercork wrote: »

Thanks for that. Interesting. The article is 3 years old and they haven't taken over the world yet so I'm guessing the economics still aren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I suppose the first thing to find out is how much juice one of you current storage heaters takes in on a normal off peak cycle, then compare that to an equivalent battery or power wall ...
    Are your storage heaters any good , or do you feel that the house is being heated when you don't want it to be ..?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I suppose the first thing to find out is how much juice one of you current storage heaters takes in on a normal off peak cycle, then compare that to an equivalent battery or power wall ...
    Are your storage heaters any good , or do you feel that the house is being heated when you don't want it to be ..?

Definitely wasting energy heating the place when I'm out. Also, if the weather warms up quickly, the storage heaters don't care and keep chucking out the same heat as if it was sub zero outside. Or if there is a sudden cold snap, I need to boost the storage heat with peak rate electric heating.

I could possibly set and manage the storage heaters better but the basic operation will still be very wasteful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Storage heaters should all be smart devices these days.

Linked to your calendar and the weather forecast.

Including things like how warm your house gets from cooking or water heating or sunlight. ie. there's a thermostat somewhere checking how warm the rooms normally are.

• Advertisement

I was on Google checking if something as simple as replacing the bricks in a storage heater with a battery made sense yet and my own post came close to the top of the list! The economics of battery storage have surely changed a lot in the last 4.5 years.

Is there such a product yet? Even a plug-in heater that charges it's battery overnight and unlike a storage heater, I can set a thermostat or simply turn it off and not waste charge when I don't need it. But preferably someting internet connected so I could remote control it too.

Also, Sorry, probably broke a zombie thread rule but can't delete :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anything run off a battery will produce heat directly or indirectly. Using a heater would be one of the most wasteful ways of using electricity.

A good well installed heat pump would give you several times the heat a simple heater would.

A dehumidifier should also give you the latent heat of water vapour condensing. And dry your towels.

Or use 'waste' heat from other devices. Use a cooker or kettle, Turn on the TV, ramp up the FPS on computer games.

In theory in the past you could mine bitcoins as you'd still get the same heat and perhaps earn a little to offset the cost.

Washing machines and dishwashers would mean a lot of heat lost down the drain so not so good as heaters.

Using waste heat from cooking, gaming, etc. isn't controllable in terms of temperature or timing and could encourage wasteful use of heat generating appliances.

Air source heat pumps not always practical for apartment dwellers like me.

Battery storage heaters could - in theory at least - charge when there is excess generation and cheap electricity.

I'm interested in the economics as well as the efficiency. And I'd measure efficiency not in mathematical terms of energy losses, but in terms of total kWh per annum (or total CO2 emissions) to keep my apartment warm.

Advertisement