Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Guelich": Was bedeutet es auf Englisch?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I encountered this word when I was looking at the website of the Stadtarchiv Koeln. I've looked for it up in my dictionary and online, but I can't find its English meaning. Can anyone help? It's a noun by the way, and appears as a stand alone word describing a category of archival documents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I never heard that word before. Are you sure it's not a name or a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Korruption und »Gülich-Aufstand«

............ Einer der bekanntesten Fälle ist der »Gülich-Aufstand« im Jahr 1680. Der Kölner Kaufmann Nikolaus Gülich organisierte damals die Proteste gegen Amtsmissbrauch und Korruption in der Stadtverwaltung. Nikolaus Gülich erklärte damals, dass »Köln wie Jerusalem scheitern und Kindeskinder leiden würden, wenn der Meineid, das Stehlen und Säckeln nicht abgestellt würden.« Die Proteste und der Sturm des Rathauses führten zur Verurteilung von drei Bürgermeistern und hatten 1683 Neuwahlen des gesamten Kölner Rats zur Folge.

http://www.stadtrevue.de/index_archiv.php3?tid=40&bid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks... :o

Advertisement