Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Solution for Windows Near Busy Road

Options
  • 22-04-2021 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Nearing the stage of ordering new windows. I live near a fairly busy road, and existing windows are MJ ****e double glazed from 2004. Noisy as hell.

The natural option is just go 3G (no trickle vents) and be done with it. But I’ve heard they aren’t necessarily the best option for sound insulation.

For similar price I can get 2G but with laminated glass on one leaf. Apparently much better at keeping the decibels down and muffling various frequencies compared to pure glass.

Anyone ever upgrade to similar near a road and notice a big improvement with either option? Or have any other input?

Obvious bonus of much more secure windows with the 2G with laminate, but still a bit unsure as u-value would be a better with 3G

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to be satisfied that the windows are the issue

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

KungPao wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Nearing the stage of ordering new windows. I live near a fairly busy road, and existing windows are MJ ****e double glazed from 2004. Noisy as hell.

The natural option is just go 3G (no trickle vents) and be done with it. But I’ve heard they aren’t necessarily the best option for sound insulation.

For similar price I can get 2G but with laminated glass on one leaf. Apparently much better at keeping the decibels down and muffling various frequencies compared to pure glass.

Anyone ever upgrade to similar near a road and notice a big improvement with either option? Or have any other input?

Obvious bonus of much more secure windows with the 2G with laminate, but still a bit unsure as u-value would be a better with 3G

Any help appreciated.

Your going to need acoustic laminates within the panes, a 3G will perform better than the 2G option with the same glass, both thermally and acoustically. The Guardian Glass website is very helpful and you can choose your particular glass build up and assess the acoustic and thermal data sheets from there. I would find out the max thickness of glass the units can take and you will be very quickly able to see your options there then.

As other posters have said windows alone may not resolve the issue

https://www.guardianglass.com/eu/en/tools-and-resources/tools/glass-analytics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Thanks for that.

Windows are definitely the issue. I can barely explain in words how rubbish they are. 2004 timber frame showing signs of rot, trickle vents that when closed still leak air and noise, single rebate/seal, glass panes probably thinner than standard now, just as bad as it gets really. You can hear a little a bird chirping through them.

The thing is, the house is set back a bit and it’s not exactly a main road, no double decker buses or anything, the odd truck, but you can even hear quiet hybrid cars inside sometimes, and if raining can clearly hear the water splashing around in the wheel wells.

Probably a case of over thinking it, just wouldn’t be happy if brand new windows sans trickle vents doubled sealed and better glass wasn’t much better. But surely they would be, with either 2g with laminate or standard 3g?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Research air-gaps and acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I first started working on sound issues in 1972/73 and the one key feature is that if you let sound into you head as a problem as opposed to a transient acoustic experience, its well nigh impossible to get it out again.

This from your post but you can even hear quiet hybrid cars inside sometimes make me wonder

Current example is people with MVHR.
    Once they hear it at 3 am while adoring the great white god after a feed of pints and a takeaway, its in their head forever.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I think quality of a window install would make a big impact. I think youd want any new windows very carefully installed, I guess airtightness tape would be a big thing?

Advertisement