Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can one do - surgery needed for Procedure not available in ireland??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you tried seeing a consultant in the likes of sports surgery clinic in Santry?
    The HSE are not going to fund surgery for something you’ve not even been diagnosed for. Try GoFundMe or buy a National Lottery ticket.

It has been diagnosed.
    From CT scans - Computed Tomography

The CT scans are a particular set of scans that it seems aren't performed in Ireland either or performed in some of the private hospitals but I was unable to have them here and contacted many centers.

A CT Scanogram it is called

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shazamm wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment.
    It doesn't help.
    Watch the video above and you'll have more understanding then.

The comment is the situation though and its not going to change

From the little reading I did less than 10% of the small amount of people who have this syndrome need surgery and there appear to be lots of non surgical treatments that can help so it sounds a bit to me like you should look at how you learn to live with this as you can't afford the surgery

Could you try crowd funding or something like that. Community fundraisers are also really good and communities have raised money to send people abroad for treatments There are definitely rare conditions out there and with our small population it’s not difficult to get that doctors won’t have seen everything. I wish you well and hope you get support.

beauf wrote: »
    Don't they have scheme for treatments not available in Ireland...

https://www2.hse.ie/services/treatment-abroad-scheme/treatment-abroad-scheme.html

Thank you, I wish it was that simple and your help would work

I have not had any success applying for this through the treatment abroad scheme. And I've applied
    I've spent 3 years on this already.

gansi wrote: »
    Could you try crowd funding or something like that. Community fundraisers are also really good and communities have raised money to send people abroad for treatments There are definitely rare conditions out there and with our small population it’s not difficult to get that doctors won’t have seen everything. I wish you well and hope you get support.

Thanks, gansi
    Yes it does seem to be the only hope
    Unfortunately the costs are very high

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So what countries if any treat it in their public system?

It has been diagnosed.
    From CT scans - Computed Tomography

The CT scans are a particular set of scans that it seems aren't performed in Ireland either or performed in some of the private hospitals but I was unable to have them here and contacted many centers.

A CT Scanogram it is called

It hasn’t been diagnosed by a doctor in Ireland which is more my point.

strandroad wrote: »
    So what countries if any treat it in their public system?

The UK used to treat it but not anymore it seems.

I'm not sure where else tbh, the netherlands and germany I think, I'm not sure about spain and france.

The USA do treat it and are very experienced in it but that is all private care.
    There have been irish patients treated there in the past for similar conditions - through insurance though and the costs were over 1 million - paid via quinn insurance -

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/eight-year-old-sean-the-bravest-boy-in-ireland-28902630.html

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/eight-year-old-sean-the-bravest-boy-in-ireland-28902630.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Is temporarily moving to another jurisdiction an option ?

Maybe research various health insurance plans to see if the condition is listed in the small print ?

Enquire as to whether there are any UK consultants whose reports would be recognised by the HSE ?

It hasn’t been diagnosed by a doctor in Ireland which is more my point.

I appreciate your point.

But he/she doesn't know exactly what they're looking for if you get me?
    So how could they diagnose it then?

Cappagh hospital -

The CT scan and CD of it was shared with the consultant and he came back - and named a number of conditions that I didn't have

The scan was shared with a consultant in the UK also and I even shared diagnosis with the irish surgeon who wouldn't even comment on it.

Later on he did mention there abnormalities but again - this was after being told I did not have the condition.

But this is neither here nor there - If he has no experience in it, he has no way to treat it. But he also would not refer me to anyone who did and refused to see me afterwards.

• Advertisement

Is temporarily moving to another jurisdiction an option ?

Maybe research various health insurance plans to see if the condition is listed in the small print ?

Enquire as to whether there are any UK consultants whose reports would be recognised by the HSE ?

The reports are recognised by the uk surgeons yes.
    Up until the UK leaving there were for sure, every report throughout the EU would be recognized.

These are very good suggestions - I have exhausted the first one and seen many consultants on the nhs but funding for the NHS has now changed a lot.
    I really wouldn't know where else to go to get the treatment - there are 4 surgeons worldwide that treat this successfully - 3 are in the US.

It is listed in the small print also - in order words

How many years since you first sought a diagnosis?

I'm not sure where else tbh, the netherlands and germany I think, I'm not sure about spain and france.

Research it then, as a EU citizen you have the right to move there if need be and it is indeed life changing.
    The USA do treat it and are very experienced in it but that is all private care.
    There have been irish patients treated there in the past for similar conditions - through insurance though and the costs were over 1 million - paid via quinn insurance -

That boy had a femur missing. Are you sure that you're not falling for some internet quackery? Commercial clinics in the US are not always operating in good faith when it comes to patient's best interest vs their profit.

approx 3 I would say

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I appreciate your point.

But he/she doesn't know exactly what they're looking for if you get me?
    So how could they diagnose it then?

Cappagh hospital -

The CT scan and CD of it was shared with the consultant and he came back - and named a number of conditions that I didn't have

The scan was shared with a consultant in the UK also and I even shared diagnosis with the irish surgeon who wouldn't even comment on it.

Later on he did mention there abnormalities but again - this was after being told I did not have the condition.

But this is neither here nor there - If he has no experience in it, he has no way to treat it. But he also would not refer me to anyone who did and refused to see me afterwards.

I did a bit more googling and there are very few reputable sites that mention this syndrome, none of the likes of the Mayo Clinic, the NHS etc

Whereas if I Google another rare syndrome called ehlers dahoff syndrome there are plenty of those reputable sites with extensive information, so I'm a bit sceptical tbh

Research it then, as a EU citizen you have the right to move there if need be and it is indeed life changing.

That boy had a femur missing. Are you sure that you're not falling for some internet quackery? Commercial clinics in the US are not always operating in good faith when it comes to patient's best interest vs their profit.

Did you watch the video - I've it added to the first post again - Yes I'm not
    Ain't . That. The truth ...........them yanks

I did a bit more googling and there are very few reputable sites that mention this syndrome, none of the likes of the Mayo Clinic, the NHS etc

Whereas if I Google another rare syndrome called ehlers dahoff syndrome there are plenty of those reputable sites with extensive information, so I'm a bit sceptical tbh

Very good point, it is just a name given for a combination of two different issues. it is good to be sceptical - it a condition slighltly like knock knee in a way for the layman - but its very diffeerent in reality - google the videos of it

Technichally it called femur anteversion and tibial torsion -
    google these and google the photos of
    torsional mal alignment syndrome
    or the above
    femur anteversion and tibial torsion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The Americans will operate on anything of you give them enough money.
    When someone has a financial incentive to treat you, I think that devalues their opinion.
    The father of orthopaedic surgery is British. I find it strange they don't recognise the condition on the NHS.

Did you watch the video - I've it added to the first post again - Yes I'm not
    Ain't . That. The truth ...........them yanks

The boy in the article you linked seems to have a completely different condition than the boy in the video though.
    "Before Sean was born, we weren't aware there were any problems," she recalls. "So when we saw that his right leg was only level with his left knee (because his femur didn't grow), it was quite a shock.

"His left arm also ended at the elbow and his right elbow was missing.

2 excellent short videos

• Advertisement

413da44f4eafda2e3592d29410d294df.jpg

413da44f4eafda2e3592d29410d294df.jpg

What's the cause of the pelvic tilt or is the photo just not straight?

Rodin wrote: »
    The Americans will operate on anything of you give them enough money.
    When someone has a financial incentive to treat you, I think that devalues their opinion.
    The father of orthopaedic surgery is British. I find it strange they don't recognise the condition on the NHS.

They recognise the individual parts they do. The name is just a combition of the two

https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/intoeing/

What's the cause of the pelvic tilt?

come again?

What's the cause of the pelvic tilt or is the photo just not straight?

The condition - the bone alignment tilts the pelvis

They recognise the individual parts they do. The name is just a combition of the two

https://www.nuh.nhs.uk/intoeing/

But they don't fix the individual parts on the NHS?

The condition - the bone alignment tilts the pelvis

You've had previous arthroscopies?

The boy in the article you linked seems to have a completely different condition than the boy in the video though.

That doctor is the one who treats the condition the most - He wrote the handbook on the biomechanics of orthopaedic surgeon.

It was an example of patients from ireland being treated by him

The reason why knee and hip replacements can be so successful is down to him

dror paley principles of deformity correction

Principles of Deformity Correction is a comprehensive text on the analysis, planning, and treatment of lower limb deformities in an accessible and instructive format. It teaches the analysis, planning, and methods of deformity correction.

But they don't fix the individual parts on the NHS?

They do in children yes, but one bone at a time.
    The surgeons with more experience can do it all together *USA

Unfortunately many in the uk don't have the experience it seems

• Advertisement

You've had previous arthroscopies?

No I haven't but most patients do end up with knee scopes many times yeah

Advertisement