Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implant retained dentures

Options
  • 17-02-2021 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have a 42 yr old 3 unit bridge which is coming to the end of it's very long life. I have been told that it cannot be replaced because the 'stumps' holding it in place would no longer be able to offer support. They are my top three teeth. In my late 60's I don't think I can justify really expensive treatment but equally cannot bear the thought of a denture. I do intend to go for a proper dental consultation and advice but I am wondering if anyone has any experience of implant retained dentures and how they find them. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have a 42 yr old 3 unit bridge which is coming to the end of it's very long life. I have been told that it cannot be replaced because the 'stumps' holding it in place would no longer be able to offer support. They are my top three teeth. In my late 60's I don't think I can justify really expensive treatment but equally cannot bear the thought of a denture. I do intend to go for a proper dental consultation and advice but I am wondering if anyone has any experience of implant retained dentures and how they find them. Thanks

If its just a 3 unit bridge you may be able to get a implant bridge. This is screwed in place and does not come out. A very satisfactory solution, not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things and if you get another 42 years out of it thats money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Fitz II wrote: »
    If its just a 3 unit bridge you may be able to get a implant bridge. This is screwed in place and does not come out. A very satisfactory solution, not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things and if you get another 42 years out of it thats money well spent.

Hi thank you for replying. I was never told about this so something I will definitely look into. I am presuming that even though the 2 anchor teeth/stumps are no longer stable this will not be a problem for an implant bridge? Also I'm told my bridge is porcelain so what material would I look for in the replacement. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Hi thank you for replying. I was never told about this so something I will definitely look into. I am presuming that even though the 2 anchor teeth/stumps are no longer stable this will not be a problem for an implant bridge? Also I'm told my bridge is porcelain so what material would I look for in the replacement. Thanks

4 implants is enough to support a full bridge of teeth for a lot of people. Find a dentist who does that sort of work often and get a consultation.

Advertisement