Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black bits on inside of mouth guard

Options
  • 11-02-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a mouth guard made for me by dentist and was happily wearing it at night to protect the expensive work done on my teeth.

However it has developed some blackening in one side of the molar area, and from googling, I think it might be some sort of mildew or mould.

I was going to try to clean it with vinegar, google says soak it in vinegar for half an hour and then do a thorough clean.

Is this safe to do? Or will the vinegar have a bad effect on the whatever it is that it's made of?

Any advise? Can't afford a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Soak it in denture tablets. Vinegar would leave a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Hi I got a mouth guard made for me by dentist and was happily wearing it at night to protect the expensive work done on my teeth.

However it has developed some blackening in one side of the molar area, and from googling, I think it might be some sort of mildew or mould.

I was going to try to clean it with vinegar, google says soak it in vinegar for half an hour and then do a thorough clean.

Is this safe to do? Or will the vinegar have a bad effect on the whatever it is that it's made of?

Any advise? Can't afford a new one.

Do you have any mercury fillings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Meeoow wrote: »
    Soak it in denture tablets. Vinegar would leave a taste.

Yeah I used to do that twice a week, even before the black bits emerged, and they did nothing to reduce them once they started.
    coathanger wrote: »
    Do you have any mercury fillings ?

Mercury?? I think most of my old silvery fillings have been replaced by modern white ones. Must have a look to see if there are any on that side. Do you think they might cause discolouration? That it isn't some kind of mould/mildew at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Yeah I used to do that twice a week, even before the black bits emerged, and they did nothing to reduce them once they started.

Mercury?? I think most of my old silvery fillings have been replaced by modern white ones. Must have a look to see if there are any on that side. Do you think they might cause discolouration? That it isn't some kind of mould/mildew at all?

Yes I do, I have a mouth guard & it’s stained in the areas where I have the old fillings & the dentist says it’s nothing to be concerned about. . .

Advertisement