Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Secondment Abroad?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am currently applying for one of the ongoing competitions to join the civil service and would love if anyone here could give me some further information into how secondments abroad work in the civil service- particularly secondments to work as an SNE within the European Commission or to work in the Irish Perm Rep in Brussels.

I've come across a word document from 2017 outlining the process, but would be interested to hear from anyone that might have first hand experience of the process or has any ideas about how common it is to go on secondment abroad (has it become more of less common in recent years?) How competitive is it (ie are you battling for a position against members of civil service from 26 other member states?) Does it largely depend on which department you’re in? (I have noticed Dept of Finance seems to sponsor a lot of people).

Any insight into this would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

BellaCiao wrote: »
    I am currently applying for one of the ongoing competitions to join the civil service and would love if anyone here could give me some further information into how secondments abroad work in the civil service- particularly secondments to work as an SNE within the European Commission or to work in the Irish Perm Rep in Brussels.

I've come across a word document from 2017 outlining the process, but would be interested to hear from anyone that might have first hand experience of the process or has any ideas about how common it is to go on secondment abroad (has it become more of less common in recent years?) How competitive is it (ie are you battling for a position against members of civil service from 26 other member states?) Does it largely depend on which department you’re in? (I have noticed Dept of Finance seems to sponsor a lot of people).

Any insight into this would be really appreciated!

Hi,

I’m in the civil service and have had colleagues posted abroad (Brussels). The government is actively trying to use secondments to the EU commission to increase Irish networking there...as quite a few senior Irish permanent officials with the CION are retiring these years (leaving a big gap).

It’s conpetitive to get seconded posts, as you first need dept approval in Ireland (can sometimes be difficult depending on staffing situations) and then need to be accepted by the CION.

For secondments to the Perm Rep in Brussels that is also in demand and depends on your grade within the civil service and a competitive interview process.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BellaCiao

Hi,

I’m in the civil service and have had colleagues posted abroad (Brussels). The government is actively trying to use secondments to the EU commission to increase Irish networking there...as quite a few senior Irish permanent officials with the CION are retiring these years (leaving a big gap).

It’s conpetitive to get seconded posts, as you first need dept approval in Ireland (can sometimes be difficult depending on staffing situations) and then need to be accepted by the CION.

For secondments to the Perm Rep in Brussels that is also in demand and depends on your grade within the civil service and a competitive interview process.

I hope this helps

Thank you so much for the insight! :) It's great to know that the government is interested in increasing networking within the EU Commission, seems prudent in light of Brexit. My background is in International Relations and I have some knowledge of French and German so the idea of going abroad for a while through CS is something I would be interested in if the opportunity arose.

Would you have any idea what kind of grade you have to be at to be considered for these positions abroad- are opportunities geared towards those at AP level upwards? Also would you have any idea from your friends' experience whether these secondment positions are generally for a short-term period (ie 1-2 years), a longer-term period (ie 3-4 years?) or whether it would depend completely on the position?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement