Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes

Options
  • 19-02-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Found out recently im a type 2 diabetic.
    Im floored and i dont know where to start......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Hope you’re ok, a shock I’m sure. Do some research on the ketogenic diet, I think diabetes UK have some good info on it. Very good outcomes with diabetes type 2. Good luck, you’ll get there whatever route you decide to go regarding treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Have a good look around Diabetes.co.uk

There's loads of very good debate and threads there that should be helpful. I was diagnosed last June, and last week got into remission with a HaBc1 of 40.

Best of luck with this, it's a big head scratcher. Lot's and lot's to think about. Weightloss is an obvious first step, I've gotten down about 35lbs but since last November I've struggled. I completely stopped eating bread pasta etc, which was a great help but I've been on a weight Plateau for a while now. The battle between low carb and Low Calorie is a b***h.

I go to a dietician who insists that I should have carbs with every meal, the website above most people there swear carbs are extremely evil, it can be difficult to steer a solid path.

It's very easy to let your get over filled with information around this.

A good first step may be just to try and get into as healthy a spot as you can in the short term. Do the things that you know will do you good, more exercise, better food choices etc.

Very best of luck with this journey. If you look through the diabetes.c.uk website you will see loads of people that have gotten the disease into remission quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Thanks,the food one is the I'm going to find hard.
    What you can and can't eat.
    But I will have a look on the website tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

dubstarr wrote: »
    Thanks,the food one is the I'm going to find hard.
    What you can and can't eat.
    But I will have a look on the website tomorrow.

There's a big thread on Diabetes with many regular posters, go say hi, might be daunting with some of the tech talk if you are browsing but they are a helpful bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Hi, I hope somebody could help. My late father was a diabetic, having first suffered the illness in at 60. I recall he was on monetard & actrapid, two insulin brand names probably now discontinued.

I recently have experienced intermittent on and off slight tingling of both hands in the last week( I had been trimming a hedge with an old fashioned hedge clippers and wondered if this could be the reason also as not used to manual work) Knowing quite a bit about medicine I instinctively thought of diabetes. I have not experienced any other symptoms.

Do you think one would experience more than one symptom.

Obviously I will ask my gp for a fasting blood glucose test.

Thanks for any help. Just trying to put my mind at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kinney

Hope you're doing ok, OP. How are you? Can you share your experience ever since you found out about the disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Maybe ... hedge trimmer will do that if you are not used to it.

Also bad use of computer keyboard, mouse, phone, tablet. Need light physio to deal with these. Also vertical mouse much better than horizontal. I had similar issues.

But, also get everything else checked.

Advertisement