Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Install of Windows 7 SP1 - Security Essentials won't perform first update/scan

Options
  • 19-01-2020 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all. This is an odd one.

I've performed a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on my Dell XPS l502x machine. I like to install Microsoft Security Essentials before any other update to make sure I have basic protection while leaving the machine to install every other update.

What's happening however is that when the program installs it attempts to download it's first update before it will perform an initial scan. It downloads and the progress bar does it's thing until I get error "Connection failed
    The virus and spyware definitions didn't update on XXX (date/time) because of an Internet or network connectivity problem"

I've tried disabling the firewall and downloading and manually installing the updates but no matter how I open the file (be it double click or run as administrator) it won't open at all. The fans Spin up but the update doesn't even show in task manager.

Anyone experience this before ? I'm a fan of mse despite it's flaws.

Internet is working flawlessly on the machine simultaneously.

Thanks all !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Too many updates coming down at once. Try uninstall and reinstall it. Any particular reason for not going to windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Too many updates coming down at once. Try uninstall and reinstall it. Any particular reason for not going to windows 10?

Thanks for your help.

After reading this I decided to give Win 10 a second go as I availed of the free upgrade when it first came out but had issues on my system.

After doing a clean install and using the OEM chipset and motion sensor drivers it looks to be doing the job! Am also liking the Chromium based version of Microsoft Edge.

Now to invest in an SSD.

Advertisement