Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Device Error when installing Nvidia driver

Options
  • 23-11-2019 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I've just tried to install an updated driver for my Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card.

I opted for a custom install (graphics and audio drivers only) and a clean install.

After rebooting, I got a Boot Device Error. Windows got locked into a couple of restarts with no solution.

It then offered me a few choices. I chose a System Restore to yesterday.

All is well now.

But, I'd like to update the driver. Is it better to go for the automatic installation of the driver rather than the user choice clean installation? (I hate old trash on my C: drive.)

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ok, so I installed the Nvidia driver by first starting Windows in Clean Boot mode.

But, I now cannot get it to restart all the other processes.

The icons on the screen look like mush!

Now, in Msconfig > General > Normal Startup is ticked.

Also, in the Services tab, everything is ticked. But, most of them have Stopped under Status.

Finally, in the Task Manager, everything is enabled.

So, why are all these processes not restarting and giving me a normal looking desktop?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Sorted!

In the Boot tab, Safe Boot was ticked. I unchecked it and clicked Apply. All is ok after a reboot.

Phew!

D.

Advertisement