Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Collected the LTE this morning and fired it up, very easy setup process via the phone, no reference to LTE during setup, I can only assume that once you have a compatible plan the watch app configures the eSIM automatically, fingers crossed it will work here eventually. I was getting the series 3 anyway and the extra storage for music meant the LTE model was the only option for me. The mobile data settings show Plan > No Sim and Status > No Connection

It’s a 6 week wait now for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Blazer wrote: »
    It’s a 6 week wait now for it.

It was always going to be the model to get especially in countries that the available service, the LTE functionality pretty much completes the watch, I can’t think of much else it needs outside of a dedicated multi sport watch but that not it’s target. Be interested to see the gps be LTE breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

So u have it working Thumper ?? all set up perfect /??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Looking at my own life I don't see the real need for LTE. How often are you going to go out without your phone?

Main advantage would be for sports but outside that I would prefer to browse internet etc on my phone so could still have a watch connected to it.

Also, reading reviews that LTE use seriously drains the battery so I think that severely restricts its appeal.

I think all the tech companies should focus on new battery technology as that is the key to future products.

Overall I don't the think the LTE is good enough to warrant the extra purchase costs as well as the extra it's going to cost with your carrier, most likely €10 per month.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Looking at my own life I don't see the real need for LTE. How often are you going to go out without your phone?

Main advantage would be for sports but outside that I would prefer to browse internet etc on my phone so could still have a watch connected to it.

Also, reading reviews that LTE use seriously drains the battery so I think that severely restricts its appeal.

I think all the tech companies should focus on new battery technology as that is the key to future products.

Overall I don't the think the LTE is good enough to warrant the extra purchase costs as well as the extra it's going to cost with your carrier, most likely €10 per month.

Sports - This is where the LTE watch is needed. Imagine being able to go for a run or to the gym and not having to bring your phone. You can still get calls/texts as needed and also stream from Apple music.

Health- This potentially is a big one down the road which Apple are working on. Your watch will be monitoring your heartbeats and can alert for any issues.
    Lets say your heart stops or you get a stroke or heart attack etc , your watch can immediately detect it and since the apple watch is already capable of knowing whether its on your wrist then it can call emergency services and ping your location. How many lives can be saved ?
    Then you hear of the the diabetes add-ons which Apple are working on..again the watch could detect a diabetes attack and alert emergency services again.

AR- This is the biggie...down the line your phone /watch will be capable of projecting images ie webpages/movies etc onto glasses etc which will eliminate the need to actually touch your phone.
    Each advance in technology leads us closer to this.

The question about LTE isn't whether it suits one person but the added potential it brings to the watch both now and in the future.
    Eventually we'll look back the same as now and wonder how we managed without smartphones but it will apply to the watch as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    So u have it working Thumper ?? all set up perfect /??

All set up no issues, working perfectly, there’s no lag anywhere that I have discovered where as series 1&2 definitely we’re not as zippy

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For me when I go for a run or a swim or a surf I do that to get away from the world and don't want to be contacted so for me there no need for it and it would be a complete nightmare having my peace and quiet distracted by phone calls and texts and email that would not do my stress levels any good.

For me when I go for a run or a swim or a surf I do that to get away from the world and don't want to be contacted so for me there no need for it and it would be a complete nightmare having my peace and quiet distracted by phone calls and texts and email that would not do my stress levels any good.

thats what the "do not disturb" is for :D

Sports - This is where the LTE watch is needed. Imagine being able to go for a run or to the gym and not having to bring your phone. You can still get calls/texts as needed and also stream from Apple music.

Health- This potentially is a big one down the road which Apple are working on. Your watch will be monitoring your heartbeats and can alert for any issues.
    Lets say your heart stops or you get a stroke or heart attack etc , your watch can immediately detect it and since the apple watch is already capable of knowing whether its on your wrist then it can call emergency services and ping your location. How many lives can be saved ?
    Then you hear of the the diabetes add-ons which Apple are working on..again the watch could detect a diabetes attack and alert emergency services again.

AR- This is the biggie...down the line your phone /watch will be capable of projecting images ie webpages/movies etc onto glasses etc which will eliminate the need to actually touch your phone.
    Each advance in technology leads us closer to this.

The question about LTE isn't whether it suits one person but the added potential it brings to the watch both now and in the future.
    Eventually we'll look back the same as now and wonder how we managed without smartphones but it will apply to the watch as well.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

The only scenario you show that would benefit from LTE is the run one. Why somebody out on a run would want to receive a phone call is beyond me though.

The health and AR examples you give can also work with a watch connected to the phone.

No doubt a watch connected to LTE is advantageous but it must be implemented properly and work well and it does not seem to be there yet.

Connectivity must be guaranteed but also the battery issue must be resolved.
    A battery that dies after a one hour call is just not good enough.

I don't get the point you're trying to make.

The only scenario you show that would benefit from LTE is the run one. Why somebody out on a run would want to receive a phone call is beyond me though.

The health and AR examples you give can also work with a watch connected to the phone.

No doubt a watch connected to LTE is advantageous but it must be implemented properly and work well and it does not seem to be there yet.

Connectivity must be guaranteed but also the battery issue must be resolved.
    A battery that dies after a one hour call is just not good enough.

Someone on call from work maybe?
    I used to go running after work but I'd still be on call. Because of that I'd had to lug a phone around. With such a watch I wouldn't have to.
    I don't get why so many people on here doesn't get the whole cellular watch..is it a lack of technology understanding or something? Ever since the first apple watch rumoured people were looking for a cellular version.

The AR one is a future development.
    Why on earth would you pair a watch to a phone to extend AR to glasses when either the watch alone will be powerful or the glasses themselves would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I got the non-LTE one on Friday going to crack in open today when I get a chance.

Went for non LTE as
    • There’s no infrastructure and doesn’t look like there will be for some time
    • I wouldn’t be prepared to pay an extra €5 or €10 a month for the use I would get from that service (if it did become available)
    • The only time my watch and phone are apart are in the gym and I can be uncontactable for that time
    • I took a call on the Watch before and in my opinion I looked like a complete knob speaking into my watch so I wouldn’t be keen on getting into a habbit of it. Although I do admit it would be handy for emails and other notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LTE cant even make calls here yet on the majority of networks, a use case for it is at least 18mo off and even then companion SIMs won't be cheap.

Someone on call from work maybe?
    I used to go running after work but I'd still be on call. Because of that I'd had to lug a phone around. With such a watch I wouldn't have to.
    I don't get why so many people on here doesn't get the whole cellular watch..is it a lack of technology understanding or something? Ever since the first apple watch rumoured people were looking for a cellular version.

The AR one is a future development.
    Why on earth would you pair a watch to a phone to extend AR to glasses when either the watch alone will be powerful or the glasses themselves would be.

I do get it, I am not stupid but I don't think this is a good implementation of it.

An LTE watch that can only last an hour is not good enough.

Also, not getting a signal all the time is not good enough.

I do get it, I am not stupid but I don't think this is a good implementation of it.

An LTE watch that can only last an hour is not good enough.

Also, not getting a signal all the time is not good enough.

give it time...battery life will improve.

give it time...battery life will improve.

Yes,on future models. Not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Just got dispatch notification .... Eeeeeeeeeek !!! *happy dance*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I’m a little confused with the silent, dnd and theatre modes. Which mode should I use if I want haptic for notifications?
    If I want no notifications and no lift to wake up in bed which mode is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

* silent will give you haptics but not ding if connected to wrist (my watch is constantly in silent mode, should be default imo).
    * DND will not give you haptics or dings if connected to the wrist.
    * Theatre will give you haptics but will not turn on the display with wrist movement, you have to tap the screen for it to turn on, perfect for say... the theatre.

* silent will give you haptics but not ding if connected to wrist (my watch is constantly in silent mode, should be default imo).
    * DND will not give you haptics or dings if connected to the wrist.
    * Theatre will give you haptics but will not turn on the display with wrist movement, you have to tap the screen for it to turn on, perfect for say... the theatre.

Cheers so for sleeping I want dnd and theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

First day with Series 3 (Non LTE) it’s much faster than the Series 0 I had previously and the battery seems to be vastly improved.

Up at 06:15 and just turned it off with 75% remaining

• Advertisement

Year after first 48 hours with mine I had 45% battery.

Caved in and ordered the non Lte one which is arriving today.
    Still miffed over it as I had promised myself the steel version this time around but hey it’s a new toy :)
    Will hold off on the steel version until the carrriers support it which will probably be series 4/5 at that stage.

Caved in and ordered the non Lte one which is arriving today.
    Still miffed over it as I had promised myself the steel version this time around but hey it’s a new toy :)
    Will hold off on the steel version until the carrriers support it which will probably be series 4/5 at that stage.

Thinking of doing the same. I might get the Nike one for series 3 then when lte comes to Ireland go stainless or ceramic.

Going non lte this time round will allow them to work on battery and perhaps size of the watch so that by the time I get one I reap the benefits of waiting.

My series 0 is practically unusable on watchOS 4. Putting it down with 20% battery at night whereas it was easily 50% on watchOS 3.

Thinking of doing the same. I might get the Nike one for series 3 then when lte comes to Ireland go stainless or ceramic.

My series 0 is practically unusable on watchOS 4. Putting it down with 20% battery at night whereas it was easily 50% on watchOS 3.

Hopefully the display will be improved as well. On the steel and ceramic since the glass is sapphire the display is not as clear as the sports watch which uses ion x glass. One of the mates had a steel v2 and I had the Nike one and mine was clearer and whites were white wheareas they were dulller yellow looking on the steel version. You would never notice it unless using at the watches side by side but I would always get a rise out of him when askin him about his yellow watch :)
    It’s just a feature of sapphire as the light has thicker glass to shine through hence some distortion.
    It’s only became noticeable with digital displays.

Is yours the original single core watch? Would explain the slowness. They were brutal slow at launch anyway.

Is yours the original single core watch? Would explain the slowness. They were brutal slow at launch anyway.

Yup. Just checked I have enough air miles to convert to €420 on a prepaid card. that’s decided it for me, series 3 for me.

Yup. Just checked I have enough air miles to convert to €420 on a prepaid card. that’s decided it for me, series 3 for me.

Next day delivery as well so get it in ASAP and you’ll have it tomorrow for the weekend

Next day delivery as well so get it in ASAP and you’ll have it tomorrow for the weekend
    Ah I was going to get a physical card so that I could use it in compub and buy a band too. I don't think Apple allows you to split a basket over two payment methods.

I'm in no huge rush though

Just as well, I’m not sure if compub are selling it yet? At least not on their website.
    Also amazon for the bands :) way cheaper and just as good.

Just as well, I’m not sure if compub are selling it yet? At least not on their website.
    Also amazon for the bands :) way cheaper and just as good.

Ah. Iconnect has them so assumed compub would :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Did everyone get Apple Care +? Is it worth it?

Advertisement