Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Killer?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Probably a bit optimistic, but could this forum be a possible AH killer? I've been reading through the past few days (never posted) and am liking what I see!

I will of course try to find something obscure and interesting to post so I can make my contribution!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I see no reason why this forum and AH can't co-exist. If anything this might well turn out to be the serious version of AH some people have been looking for, which will be great for both forums since the people who want to talk serious will come here while AH will have less people complaining about things not being taken seriously there. I know I have opposed this idea before (not the EYH forum, the idea of a serious version of AH) but I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was under the impression that AH was the lighter side of Boards and the serious stuff was discussed in the other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Yore Ma

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

super-rush wrote: »
    I was under the impression that AH was the lighter side of Boards and the serious stuff was discussed in the other forums.

True but often people will post a serious topic in AH because they know that the forum gets a huge amount of traffic and there's a bigger chance of their thread being noticed and replied to.

I think too that this forum can become what some people have always thought that AH 'should' be if they were the admin but I'd love to think that it would be moderated lightly so that it doesn't become too rigid and a forum for nerds...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'll hijack this thread rather than starting a new one.....

CAn we being a new thread by asking a question rather than linking to an article ?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    CAn we being a new thread by asking a question rather than linking to an article ?

You can of course. As long as the question isn't AH material, work away.

As for this forum killing AH, I doubt it. AH and this forum are, in my opinion, polar opposites. There is no reason as to why the two can't mutually exist. I can only hope that it becomes half as popular as AH, though.

Edit: Just to answer/give my opinion on two other issues raised. This could be a serious alternative to AH, as long as the discussion remains in line with the ideal behind the forum's creation (i.e. that it must be capable of expanding your mind, adding to your knowledge etc.). Also, this isn't necessarily a nerdy forum, it won't be moderated so harshly as to turn it into a nerdy forum. As long as discussion fits with the ideal behind the forum, then it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

orestes wrote: »
    I see no reason why this forum and AH can't co-exist.

I think AH has a unique role on boards, but what you may find is that articles discussed here will be brought to AH (fully credited!:mad::pac:) and discussed in a lighter fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I don't mean that the AH forum will be deleted, but EYH will be more popular. I think this forum was a good idea IMO and I'm glad to see the forum request was granted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

This is now my new favourite forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

By no means. I love AH for it's silliness and light-humoured. I think EYH is abit more for serious debate and discussion although humour isn't frown upon either. But like if someone replied with the first pun they thought of for first post to reap thanks like in AH (which is one of the most annoying things about AH) it'd be frowned upon...I think. I hope this forum doesn't become too high-brow either though, but not retardedly silly at the same time.

Ask Jammeh, he's forum god here.

• Advertisement

At first I thought that this might be the long sought after serious equivalent to AH, but the more I get to know this forum, the less realistic that statement seems.

This won't kill AH, this forum won't even damage any other forum. Why? Because it's completely different to all others. This forum requires some kind of an article/video/etc. to create a discussion. People long for a serious equivalent to AH. Well, Humanities is (partly) it.

I can still only hope that this forum becomes one tenth as popular as AH, though.

As for this becoming too high-brow, I can't see that happening. It will be strictly moderated between myself and The Minister (it has to be), and puns/jokes won't be allowed to derail a thread. There have been a few silly threads/posts posted so far, but they've been cleaned up (if we let one in that's of a calibre we don't like it might start a "chain-reaction"). We want this forum to be highish-enough-brow (higher than a lot of other forums, anyway), but not so high that it's off putting.

I like the way it's going at the moment: I like the style of articles that are posted and I like the style of debate that's emerging. One thing though: articles/videos etc. aren't posted very frequently. That's one thing I that hope changes soon (hopefully it will with time).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I don't mean that the AH forum will be deleted, but EYH will be more popular. I think this forum was a good idea IMO and I'm glad to see the forum request was granted!

As good as this forum is I doubt it would ever be more popular than after hours. More people like talking about how much of a spastic Ryan Tubridy is than talking about creating a star. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As good as this forum is I doubt it would ever be more popular than after hours. More people like talking about how much of a spastic Ryan Tubridy is than talking about creating a star. :)
    TUBRIDY IS A LEGEND!

And the final box to tick on my quest to meet all Late Late presenters...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hmm. Plushier chairs. Cigar Cabinet. Clear absence of Terrance's vomit... yeah this could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You can of course. As long as the question isn't AH material, work away.

As for this forum killing AH, I doubt it. AH and this forum are, in my opinion, polar opposites. There is no reason as to why the two can't mutually exist. I can only hope that it becomes half as popular as AH, though.

Edit: Just to answer/give my opinion on two other issues raised. This could be a serious alternative to AH, as long as the discussion remains in line with the ideal behind the forum's creation (i.e. that it must be capable of expanding your mind, adding to your knowledge etc.). Also, this isn't necessarily a nerdy forum, it won't be moderated so harshly as to turn it into a nerdy forum. As long as discussion fits with the ideal behind the forum, then it's all good.
    I'm currently on hiatus, but I look forward to moving threads from AH to here when I return. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Terry wrote: »
    I'm currently on hiatus, but I look forward to moving threads from AH to here when I return. :)

thread-killer!

Advertisement