Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The aquatic ape hypothesis of human evolution

Options
  • 21-10-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Another thread made me think of this. It's an interesting idea. Could explain a lot of our features, but then again there are some glaring flaws (such as dealing with aquatic predators and parasites).

Here's a link to a ted video by Elaine Morgan (the main proponent of the aah) and a rebuttal by some internet person;

http://adhominin.com/files/aquatic_ape.html#

Anyway, what ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It is very interesting indeed! I've never heard of the theory and never considered our nakedness in relation to other mammals. My background is in psychology so its never been an issue thats risen in my experience.

Its very suspect that the theory is ignored so much with no good reason. Especially that theres a vacuum of explanation now. Excuse the (double!) pun but it seems to hold pleanty of water...on the surface.

Why should it not be true?

One thing that has just crossed my mind is sweating. Do rhinos, elephants or hippos sweat? is there a correlation there? I know dogs dont sweat but do other hairy/furry animals sweat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

there´s another theory in a book i read ,but which i can´t remember the name of right now,that our nakedness results from our evolving from those primates which were more evolved as the infant of the species ,as infants were more inclined to social cohesion ,and this was a necessary trait in order to survive on the savannahs.
    he also contends in this book that we may have spent several millenia,in our developmental stage,living beside the sea ,somewhere in africa,which gives us our affinity to the sea but i´m not sure about the aquatic-mammal theory being wholly exclusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I think attenboro touched on this inhis Life Of Mammal series.

Basicly te hypothesis was that we evolved upright walking from Wading a lot, and the hair thing was a trait that developed from swimmin a lot but is probably down to Sexualselection to the same extent.

Advertisement