Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simplify windows 10 for an OAP

Options
  • 20-12-2019 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions about getting windows 10 interface locked down to bare essentials.

OAP had a laptop 150 miles away from me and I want something like android nova launcher, to hide all the clutter and lock wanted programs and icons into position so she doesn't get confused or flustered.

Have teamviewer for remote access but need to make windows sterile and to the point if it is at all possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Place shortcuts on the desktop.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

antix80 wrote: »
    Place shortcuts on the desktop.

That is all.

Can they be locked so they don't move, can bookmarks be placed and locked?

Think Irish country mammy crying down the phone as she's lost something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You're a bit limited unless you set yourself up as admin and mammy as a user with limited privileges - bit like a corporate network where you cannot delete, install etc.
    So you need to be looking into Group Policy Editor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Install teamviewer on their machine, it'll allow you to dial in from anywhere, save on the headaches of trying to trouble shoot over the phone.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Install teamviewer on their machine, it'll allow you to dial in from anywhere, save on the headaches of trying to trouble shoot over the phone.

He said in the opening post he has TeamViewer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

He said in the opening post he has TeamViewer.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Have you considered Chrome OS ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

left field option -
    Keyboard short cuts so apps can be opened or switched to by Ctrl-Alt-Shift-X or whatever.

Write down on list, it's also much easier to explain on the phone than describing icons that may be hidden.

Of course it used to work much better in Windows 95

Or a programmable keyboard, but that's a separate issue if it misbehaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Maybe tablet mode would be suitable?

Among the beauts here are:
    Caught by Microsoft tech support scam
    Premium texts totalling 250 euro
    Switching off the laptop WiFi then ringing to say it won't work
    Saving wrong passwords so getting constant locked out of banking
    She saved a space in a Gmail password and instead of calling me, paid a guy to reset it, I'm getting Google security alerts, even though she asked me to manage it.

And it goes on and on.

I have her laptop, she is abroad. How can I lock it down tight?

Maybe set her as a user and me admin? I know that stuff but nothing about group policies.

• Advertisement

Have you considered Chrome OS ?
    Why?
    I encourage and use Firefox but think she uses chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Why?
    I encourage and use Firefox but think she uses chrome.

Nope I meant as an operating system not a browser.
    My Mother in law used to have a windows 7 home laptop a few years back and I was always "on call" helping her out with stuff.

About 2 years ago she wanted a new machine as the old one was chronically slow. So we got her a Chromebook, it runs Chrome OS and is perfectly fine for someone who just wan't to use it for browsing.

After about a week of her using it she never rang me about the laptop again and that's nearly 2 years now

Here is a useful link to show you the difference
    https://www.lifewire.com/chromebooks-vs-laptops-4163797

Advertisement