Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook Problem

Options
  • 02-11-2019 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all
    I hope someone can help with a problem I'm having with Outlook 2010, for the past week I'm getting send receive errors. I have tried the repair thing on it and Office but no luck.
    I've attached a pic of the errors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What antivirus you have?
    Disable mail scanning or disable altogether temporary and do testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Hi all
    I hope someone can help with a problem I'm having with Outlook 2010, for the past week I'm getting send receive errors. I have tried the repair thing on it and Office but no luck.
    I've attached a pic of the errors.

Can you telnet to it? If you are not sure, Google how to telnet pop3 email server.

This should narrow it down to an outlook problem, or a networking problem of some description.

Have you changed ISP recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Can you telnet to it? If you are not sure, Google how to telnet pop3 email server.

This should narrow it down to an outlook problem, or a networking problem of some description.

Have you changed ISP recently?

It's been over a year since I changed ISP, everything worked ok until last week.
    I tried the telnet and I got what is in the pic below
    Thanks

It's been over a year since I changed ISP, everything worked ok until last week.
    I tried the telnet and I got what is in the pic below
    Thanks

Works fine from here.

Who is your current ISP? Could you take a screenshot of the server settings?

Works fine from here.

Who is your current ISP? Could you take a screenshot of the server settings?

Current ISP is Aptus
    where do I get server settings?

• Advertisement

Current ISP is Aptus
    where do I get server settings?

You can get your server settings by following this link. https://www.sanebox.com/help/299-outlook-2010-how-do-i-find-my-server-settings

Can you connect your pc/laptop to a hotspot on your phone if it's from another network?

And while it won't solve this issue, eircom.net emails, and their system is completely outdated and constantly causing problems. Maybe look into setting up a Gmail or similiar, and forwarding the eircom emails to it.

You can get your server settings by following this link. https://www.sanebox.com/help/299-outlook-2010-how-do-i-find-my-server-settings

Can you connect your pc/laptop to a hotspot on your phone if it's from another network?

And while it won't solve this issue, eircom.net emails, and their system is completely outdated and constantly causing problems. Maybe look into setting up a Gmail or similiar, and forwarding the eircom emails to it.

Thanks for your patience ET
    Here's a few screenshots

Thanks for your patience ET
    Here's a few screenshots

Change your incoming server to webmail.eir.ie and outbound to mail1.eircom.net

Change your incoming server to webmail.eir.ie and outbound to mail1.eircom.net

I changed the incoming to webmail.eircom.net and outgoing to the same as you said after looking at the settings on the phone. One mail came in but I tried sending and it failed.

I changed the incoming to webmail.eircom.net and outgoing to the same as you said after looking at the settings on the phone. One mail came in but I tried sending and it failed.

Leave the incoming as it is, but revert your outgoing server. If that doesn't work, you may need to get the outgoing server from Aptus, each ISP will have their own.

Stick up a screenshot of the error if it fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I gave up my eircom.net address a few months back as running a business from it became a head wreck.

I now use an info@mywebsiteaddress email address. Superb!

My problems with eircom.net were that, all of a sudden, I couldn't include my web address in my email template signature. If I sent it to a recipient who was also using an eircom.net address, the email would go straight into their spam folder and they would have to look for it there (as we discovered).

Put simply, eircom.net email addresses are a joke. They are a legacy hangover which eir.ie inherited when they took over the company, and they do not support it. (Before I changed, I tried using Eir support. They will only deal with you if you have an Eir account number. I don't; I'm with Virgin.)

As of this last week, emails which I am sending to eircom.net addresses (using my new email address) are again going straight into their Spam folders. What's more, when they retrieve them, they cannot reply to them unless they remove my web address from the body of the text.

Fortunately, these are just a couple of private emails. All my business emails are fine. No one would run a business from an Eircom.net address. I must have been one of the last! :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ps. Changing email address is simple, as I discovered. You don't have to tell anyone.

You simply set up your new email address as your primary address and ensure that a copy of all emails sent to your old email address enters your new Inbox. (You can set this up in Outlook)

Now, all replies to emails sent to the old address are sent from the new email address. (You can also set this up as a preference in Outlook. When you click Reply to an email sent to the old address, the new address appears in the sender address bar. Easy!)

Secondly, all new emails are sent from your new email address - obviously!

Eventually, you simply wean your correspondents off your old address without them even noticing.

Simple.

Eircom.net addresses are junk. Make the move. You won't regret it.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Eircom infrastructure is unreliable the client errors are because the ping from your client to their server is not returning anything in the time frame the client expects, therefore you could suspect you have too much latency or worse network drop outs, which would not surprise me given past experience with them. try a different email server such as GMAIL easy to add to outlook if its the same then time for an internal and external network troubleshooting to determine a plan of action if not then its Eircom's email server. Unless you really need POP, IMAP is more efficient.

I have the problem sorted, I happened upon this https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/issues-sending-eir-webmail/ so I phoned Aptus and I had to change the outgoing server. It seems to be working ok now.

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

I have another question though not related to Outlook but it is to SMPT Server setting.
    I have put the Aptus setting in my phone and it works fine when on wifi at home but when I'm away and using mobile data I can't send an email, does this mean I would have to change the setting for wifi and mobile data? Bit of a royal pain if so.
    Would anyone have the setting for Vodafone, I don't see anything on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

..... does this mean I would have to change the setting for wifi and mobile data? Bit of a royal pain if so.....

Do you still want to maintain eir account......?

Do you still want to maintain eir account......?

If possible, yes.

Advertisement