Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is this?

Options
  • 10-01-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Any ideas on what this might be???

Edit: for some reason the main picture is uploading upside down!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A 7 legged spider!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

ardinn wrote: »
    A 7 legged spider!

Not like any spider I have ever seen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I think it is injured as there looks like a leg stump on right

Is it some sort of pond skater?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dicranopalpus_ramosus_(23520030985).jpg

Dicranopalpus ramosus is a species of harvestman. Males are up to 4 mm long, females can reach up to 6 mm. Both sexes have very long legs (especially the second pair can reach up to 5 cm), with a distinct elongated apophysis that reaches almost to the end of the tibia. This makes their pedipalps look forked. Their body is brownish with dark markings, the females being lighter colored.

D. ramosus from Leverkusen, Germany
    The forked pedipalps and the resting posture, with the legs stretched to the sides, makes this species easy to identify, although the traditional method of collecting invertebrates does not prove adequate: of 103 individuals captured in Belgium, only one was found in a pitfall; all others were collected by hand.

Adults can be found from August to November, mostly in gardens and on outer walls, but sometimes also inside.

Thank you ardinn fascinating!!!

So its a Dicranopalpus ramosus or harvestman.

Does that mean its a type of daddy long legs

• Advertisement

https://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/Species/183922

According to above the first sighting in Ireland was 1994 and the latest recorded sighting was September 2015. Might be worth contacting them col with your photo and info to updatre the record.

I just googled flat spider

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:D:D:D Honesty is a rare quality these days, ardinn. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the red yoke? egg sack?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be honest I never even considered the possibility that it could be some type of spider!!! it just looked too different from what I expect a spider to look like.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement