Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into House next week

Options
  • 28-06-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

We are moving to an existing build bungalow house next week. What are peoples thoughts on getting Broadband / ESB etc set up in advance?

Should i get the phone line UAN and ESB MPRN in advance etc from the auctioneers ? The ESB will hardly be cut off would it ?

Should the existing owners leave me the alarm codes etc ?

I've also been thinking of a few things that we need to do in and around the house move next week. Can anyone think of anything that i'm missing ?

1. Sign up for bins / waste management
    2. Electricity a/c set up
    3. Broadband set up
    4. Arrange for locks changed on the day
    5. Get alarm codes / alarm check
    6. Change address for services - bank, car insurance etc

Thank-you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

We moved 3 months ago. The house was previously rented but vacant for a number of months before we got keys.

Elec- call the energy company you are going with, set up and account with them and just call them on the day you move in to give them a meter read, they will look after it after that.

we had to get new bins as there were none in the house when we got it, we signed up over the phone and they delivered the bins within 7 days.

Broadband we set up when we got the keys, we were a couple of weeks without it but it wasnt major to us.

We got alarm codes from the EA when we got keys, got the alarm battery checked the week after we moved in. Turns out not one of the sensors on the windows/door were working so ended up having to get a whole new alarm system.

Changing addresses is easy enough.

One thing i would suggest is making sure you have keys for all windows/doors in the house. we didn't do this and have ended up with a door that we cant open to our back garden and a window in an upstairs bedroom that doesn't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

turnipsky wrote: »
    The ESB will hardly be cut off would it ?
    Set up a new account under your name, to ensure you're not paying someone elses debts.
    Should the existing owners leave me the alarm codes etc ?
    Find out who fitted the alarm as well; it'll be great to know should you encounter any issues later.
    3. Broadband set up
    1. Plug a home phone handset into the main phone socket in your home.
    2. If you hear a dial tone, the line is active.
    3. For further details dial 19800 - an automated service tell you the telephone number of the line.
    4. Arrange for locks changed on the day
    Easy enough to do this yourself if you wanted to.
    6. Change address for services - bank, car insurance etc
    Consider getting post from the old house redirected to your new house for the next 6 months, in case you miss anything; http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

You're fairly well covred there ... as mentioned dont bank on the alarm to be in working order!

You're power wont be cut off before you move in, but if the house is vacant you could always go take your reading a few days prior to moving in.

When you are getting new locks consider getting them 'keyed alike' so that the same keys opens every lock... very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 turnipsky

thanks for all the responses so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

UAN is for the account rather than the house. You'll likely have to set up from scratch using the address.

Now if someone had the ARD key that might be helpful but it's rarely given out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

if you have carpet, you will need a vacuum cleaner. If there is lawn, you will need a lawnmower.

Advertisement