Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

Don't know a huge amount about most of them players but I reckon Donal O'Sullivan is a quality footballer in the making, I imagine he will stray outside the 45 though

He’s a brilliant hurler too, as is Barry Mahony, the Kerry hurling manager wanted both of them in the hurling panel for 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

You do wonder what good games like today's do for the confidence of young players - yes, the U-20 championship is early this year, but you'd imagine the pick of the crop would get runouts in the League anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

You do wonder what good games like today's do for the confidence of young players - yes, the U-20 championship is early this year, but you'd imagine the pick of the crop would get runouts in the League anyway?

I don't think any of them can play league until the U-20 championship is over.
    Not 100% sure, but I read that there was a plan to change the rule from last year where they couldn't play senior championship until Kerry's involvement with the U-20 championship was completed to not being allowed play league until your county was finished up with the U20 championship.

Anyway there was very few involved today who made any sort of case to be involved with Kerry during the league - the only one you could maybe make a case for is O'Sullivan. Some of them you would be thinking maybe come back in 2/3 years depending on if they develop but for a lot of them it wouldn't be too surprising if they never got to pull on the green-and-gold again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

How did Paul Walsh play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

mystic86 wrote: »
    How did Paul Walsh play?

Worked hard in both attack and defence from corner forward.Was one of the better players yesterday. Definitely a player for the future.
    Physically a couple of years away from being a contender for the senior team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

wackokid wrote: »
    6 goals and 19 points. This must be some kind of a record?
    Did Kerry have a few lads red carded early?

Great scoring by cork against a strong Kerry team. Unfortunately there was no red cards early, cork are just that much better than Kerry. We will have a lot of work to do to try and win Munster this year. Cork should win it handy, I'd say by about 10 points if Kerry are even lucky enough to get to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

dobman88 wrote: »
    Great scoring by cork against a strong Kerry team. Unfortunately there was no red cards early, cork are just that much better than Kerry. We will have a lot of work to do to try and win Munster this year. Cork should win it handy, I'd say by about 10 points if Kerry are even lucky enough to get to the final.

That wont happen anyway. Cos Kerry play Cork in the semi final:D

BPKS wrote: »
    That wont happen anyway. Cos Kerry play Cork in the semi final:D

Should be a handy one for cork so. Win the semi by 10 points and cruise the final. Cant see Kerry making up such a huge difference in such a short space of time. Cork the up and coming team will dominate this decade in Munster and be Dublin closest challengers.

Unsurprisingly, rathmore have parted company with Liam Hassett and local man Derek Moynihan takes over.

In what is a surprise to me, John Evan's has taken over Glenbeigh-Glencar, not sure if he has a connection to the area but that's quite the coup for a small rural club imo. He will bring a world of experience to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭hanamandiol

Should be a handy one for cork so. Win the semi by 10 points and cruise the final. Cant see Kerry making up such a huge difference in such a short space of time. Cork the up and coming team will dominate this decade in Munster and be Dublin closest challengers.

Are you on the "happy baccy" Dobman

• Advertisement

Are you on the "happy baccy" Dobman

Not at all. Never tried it. Just being realistic. We cant ignore that cork win over a strong Kerry side. Cork have been improving for years now and it's starting to pay dividends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Cork are after a brutal decade football wise but still end it with same number of all Ireland’s as Kerry and two league titles more which is a crazy stat. Shows the dominant era of the Dubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Anyone know when the Dublin & Mayo tickets will be on sale? Thought they all went on sale before Xmas last year, could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

big_drive wrote: »
    Cork are after a brutal decade football wise but still end it with same number of all Ireland’s as Kerry and two league titles more which is a crazy stat. Shows the dominant era of the Dubs

Cork won 3 league titles in the last decade???
    Christ that slipped past me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭cms88

Unsurprisingly, rathmore have parted company with Liam Hassett and local man Derek Moynihan takes over.

In what is a surprise to me, John Evan's has taken over Glenbeigh-Glencar, not sure if he has a connection to the area but that's quite the coup for a small rural club imo. He will bring a world of experience to them.

He's connection is more likely €€€€

Saw this on Facebook, Spillane really has some record in fairness, I know many people of a certain age only know him from punditry and are not a fan of him, but you can't but admire the man's records. And Sheehy. Well, all of them really.

Cd6TrNp.jpg

Further on the club managerial merry-go-round, William Harmon takes over at Rahillys, while William Kirby is the new Churchill manager. Disappointing to see Templenoe edged out by Oughterard, but Na Gaeil advance after an epic tussle with Kilmaine - at least both games put the regrading debate to bed, until next year at any rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Saw this on Facebook, Spillane really has some record in fairness, I know many people of a certain age only know him from punditry and are not a fan of him, but you can't but admire the man's records. And Sheehy. Well, all of them really.

Cd6TrNp.jpg

So lucky to have seen those lads play. Spillane overcoming an ACL back when that could finish a fella off shows some guts too.

So lucky to have seen those lads play. Spillane overcoming an ACL back when that could finish a fella off shows some guts too.

Indeed, missed '83 but went on to win 3 more AI medals after his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cd6TrNp.jpg

Look at his scoreing record and he was not a free taker and operated as a wing forward

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone hear much from recent challenge games played?

Virtually a Championship team being fielded tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1220798899159433217

That's about as strong as you're going to see. Really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Strongest Kerry line up I ever recall for the 1st round of NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Strongest Kerry line up I ever recall for the 1st round of NFL.

Was thinking the same thing. Who knows how much training they have done at this stage but they have certainly named a strong lineup. 4-5 players away from the championship team probably.

Was thinking the same thing. Who knows how much training they have done at this stage but they have certainly named a strong lineup. 4-5 players away from the championship team probably.

And three of those are enforced absentees (Moran injured, Na Gaeil's final tomorrow).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why dont they name the subs bench, like what is the theory behind it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Na Gaeil 1-8 to 1-4 ahead. Scandalous penalty to RC just before half time. Typical referee trying to even things up.

Lots of bad wides from Na Gaeil. Hoping for a strong finish.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Na Gaeil 1-8 to 1-4 ahead. Scandalous penalty to RC just before half time. Typical referee trying to even things up.

Lots of bad wides from Na Gaeil. Hoping for a strong finish.

Ya the game was one way traffic after the Na Gaeil goal

Yeah, they should really have been another four up if they'd taken even half the chances, but dominant overall if they stick to how they're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Big margin of victory in the end. A long time coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Cracking game so far. JOD looks sharp

Clifford is simply unbelievable

Very sharp up front - just need a few more tackles at the back and we've every chance!

• Advertisement

Ref is a disgrace

Fair play to Dublin. Best divers in GAA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ref is a disgrace

:D

In fairness that ref was a joke. Philly McMahon should have been sent off.

Dublin player literally runs into Kerry player and falls down and its a black card when Kerry had the game won. Another dive for Dublin to go up in injury time

Blows back a free when Kerry clean through on goal.

Absolute joker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

In fairness that ref was a joke. Philly McMahon should have been sent off.

Dublin player literally runs into Kerry player and falls down and its a black card when Kerry had the game won. Another dive for Dublin to go up in injury time

Blows back a free when Kerry clean through on goal.

Absolute joker

Thought the ref gifted the last free of the game to Kerry but draw fair result.

Thought the ref gifted the last free of the game to Kerry but draw fair result.

What about the phantom free to Kilkenny for the lead or the ludicrous black card on O’Sullivan before that? Never mind Phillys Conor Mcgergor move on Geaney that only warranted a free. Both sides can probably complain equally about the ref.

• Advertisement

Fringe players- who stood out?
    I thought Kearney was good. Tough player and kicked a great point.
    Impressed with Graham O Sullivan who replaced Begley also. Black card was not warranted. Begley gave away the penalty and as I’ve said before, he is a defensive liability.
    Burns played well when he came on but he is like a bull in a china shop . Won a free but he’s a guy who will over carry too often.
    Dara Moynihan very little impact.
    Killian Spillane quiet enough also.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Fringe players- who stood out?
    I thought Kearney was good. Tough player and kicked a great point.
    Impressed with Graham O Sullivan who replaced Begley also. Black card was not warranted. Begley gave away the penalty and as I’ve said before, he is a defensive liability.
    Burns played well when he came on but he is like a bull in a china shop . Won a free but he’s a guy who will over carry too often.
    Dara Moynihan very little impact.
    Killian Spillane quiet enough also.

Kearney has a promising game alright. I like O’Sullivan too and I think he could have a good future in the green and gold.

That’s hard on Begley, Rock went down like a sack of spuds after barely a touch. I’d agree Begley is not the most natural defender, he is a super footballer though, probably most at home as a half forward tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ref is a disgrace

We're saying the same about you lot on the Dublin page😂😂😂

Fann Linn wrote: »
    We're saying the same about you lot on the Dublin page😂😂😂

Creeping in to the game as a whole and it’s not exclusive to Dublin or Kerry. We all view refereeing performances through the prism of our own team. If lads couldnt see the Dublin feigning and diving that went on tonight though I don’t know what to say to them.

And it’s not just diving, I can’t remember who ran in to graham to get him black carded but it was laughable that the referee fell for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Just home.

Biggest issue for me is Shane Ryan. When Dublin put the squeeze on him he folds on kickouts. Crowley and O'Shea had worked space in two late kickouts and he didn't see them. People in the stand were shouting at him to kick to them.

Needs to be sorted out as it will be the rock we'll perish on.

Think both sides could complain about the ref all day. He was shocking and wanted the game to be about him. Think overall all the bad decisions balanced out.

On Dara Moynihan having little impact. He is just back after a long lay off, thrown into that mix. He will be fine after a few games. What I'd describe as a "tasty footballer".

Clifford lads, what can you say. Absolutely unreal. We needed a score and he produced a goal. Needed a draw and he nailed a pressure free. Think the fact Dean Rock made a point of saying well done soon as it went over says it all. Rock has been there and done it in the highest pressure situations.

Happy with the performance. What a fcuking game.

Think both sides could complain about the ref all day. He was shocking and wanted the game to be about him. Think overall all the bad decisions balanced out.

On Dara Moynihan having little impact. He is just back after a long lay off, thrown into that mix. He will be fine after a few games. What I'd describe as a "tasty footballer".

Clifford lads, what can you say. Absolutely unreal. We needed a score and he produced a goal. Needed a draw and he nailed a pressure free. Think the fact Dean Rock made a point of saying well done soon as it went over says it all. Rock has been there and done it in the highest pressure situations.

Happy with the performance. What a fcuking game.

Would agree on Dara, should have mentioned he was out for a long time injured.

Cliffords skill are unbelievable. Like Cooper but with huge strength added to fend off defenders. On a slight negative, he looked like he was lacking a bit of fitness in second half. We will need another working half forward come championship to track his markers run forward as you can be sure other teams will be trying to get him defending to tire him out.

James O Donoghue was fantastic by the way! Paul Geaney worked his socks off in what looks like a new role for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ref is a disgrace

I thought Kerry were better!

Seriously though....both sides adapted to the ref. They knew he wanted to blow his whistle and if a challenge came in they put on a performance for him.

Ref was consistent but i ****ing hate refs who think its a non contact sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was at the match ref was equally bad for both sides. Tommy Walsh got away with nearly a 20 meter run at one stage without a hop or solo. On the other hand he called back play for two frees for Dublin which looked like he got info in the ear piece.

Shane Ryan's kickout's were very poor for last 10-15 minutes. However Dublin were really pushing up on Kerry at that stage. however he was not looking out to the wings enough. he not fast enough to place the ball but the runs are not geed enough either. This area needs a lot of work. Commerford was excellent for Dublin he will put huge pressure on Cluxton for a place this year.

We need a bit more composure late in the game SoS tried for a point when we should have worked it more. JOD did this early in the match as well as diod Geaney but late in the game we need more composure. Dublin hand us the draw, the free was virtually unscoreable whrere it was first conceded but kicking the ball away and conceding 13( which turned into 15-16 metres) was not something you expect James McCarthy to do.

We started with only one of our normal 3 midfielders available and AS got injured early, O Bealoigh getting injured before HT caused us to use 2 subs and limited our option late in the game. This would have impacted us late in the game and Fenton had a big impact on the game without Jack Barry to mark him. We really need to find another midfielder

All in all a good performance it would have been hard to leave there without a point, We have 3 hard away matches against Mayo, Monoghan and Tyrone. Next Saturday night we need to beat Galway to keep the pressure off us and we need to win all our home matches.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

James was very sharp but you almost feel it's only a matter of time before he'll get injured again - hope I'm wrong on that and we get to see him at his best again.

Kearney did very well when he came on - was he marking Fenton when he came on, because Fenton went on a tear for 3 points in a row and thereafter didn't seem to get forward as much, perhaps he picked up Spillane had a knock and just put the foot on the gas for 10 minutes to exploit that I'm not too sure.

We still look light at the back somewhat. We could do with Peter Crowley to fill the bastard role that James McCarthy takes up for Dublin - as much as I hate him, he was involved in every little scrap, he was in the refs ear, he was slowing the game down towards the end and doing the small things that can win you tight games - we lacked that at the back a bit I thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement