Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

101 Great GAA Scores

Options
  • 23-01-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Going though Youtube the the other night I spotted this video. Also a hurling equivalent was released the same time.

Surprising that there was never another one released and given the decline of the disc format never will be but I'd imagine there must have been some fair scores in the last decade for a modern equivalent.

Thinking of a few examples over the years.
    Colm Coopers goals v Mayo and Dublin 2011
    Michael Murphy v Galway 2015
    Cillian O Connor v Dublin in the 2015 Semi final Replay
    Conor Mcmanus v Tyrone in 2018

What other ones could be up there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Maurice Fitzgerald's sideline in the 1997 All Ireland final,similar to bring the quarter final v Dublin to a replay in Thurles.

Ciaran Mc's winner against Dublin in 2006.

Any number of Micheal Donnellan's points on the run.If I'm correct one in particular v Kildare in the 1998 final.

Countless Conor McManus scores.

Diarmuid O Connor had a couple of corkers v Dublin in first half of the 2015 semi final replay v Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Kevin Cassidy v Kildare 2011 All Ireland Quarter Final.

Keep the tape running for the bonus Geezer footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

seligehgit wrote: »
    Maurice Fitzgerald's sideline in the 1997 All Ireland final,similar to bring the quarter final v Dublin to a replay in Thurles.

Any number of Micheal Donnellan's points on the run.If I'm correct one in particular v Kildare in the 1998 final.

Diarmuid O Connor had a couple of corkers v Dublin in first half of the 2015 semi final replay v Dublin.

My favourite score of all time. I'm biased being from Mayo. But it was so good. Last few minutes, and he picked the ball up back around his own 21 yard line. Laid it of, and sprinted up near the Dublin 21. To be able to take the ball then, and have the confidence, energy and accuracy to bang it over from that angle is exceptional.
    Love watchin David Cliffords effort from close to the sideline – I think it was last year. The camera got an excellent angle of it, from behind him.
    Conor McManus got a score from close to the sideline last year too I think. I don’t know how he did it. From the angle and his body shape, it looked like there was no way he could get enough power into it to to get over the bar, but he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd consider Brian Doohers point from the sideline against Kerry in the 2008 final as good a score as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

shockframe wrote: »
    Going though Youtube the the other night I spotted this video. Also a hurling equivalent was released the same time.

Surprising that there was never another one released and given the decline of the disc format never will be but I'd imagine there must have been some fair scores in the last decade for a modern equivalent.

Thinking of a few examples over the years.
    Colm Coopers goals v Mayo and Dublin 2011
    Michael Murphy v Galway 2015
    Cillian O Connor v Dublin in the 2015 Semi final Replay
    Conor Mcmanus v Tyrone in 2018

What other ones could be up there?

Always thought McHugh's goal in that same Galway game was the best scored that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxiovu7O-S4&t=484

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Ciaran Careys point for Limerick V clare in 1996 in Limerick
    Jimmy Barry Murphys overhead pull goal for Cork V Galway early 80s
    John Fentons goal for Cork v Limerick in 1987 from 60 yards out

Seamus Darbys goal in 82 for Offaly v kerry has to be the most iconic GAA score of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

seligehgit wrote: »

Agreed in Maurice. Had about 3 or 4 great scores in the 97 final. Dublin point spectacular too.

McDonald of course.great score of any era.

Donnellans long run before a point agqinst Kildare.Class

McManus would have about 7 to 8 iconic scores at least I'd imagine.

O connor kicked a few beauty's that day.also kicked 1 great point in the 2019 league final in the second half.even his workfor the second goal was good.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Kevin Cassidy v Kildare 2011 All Ireland Quarter Final.

Keep the tape running for the bonus Geezer footage.

A great score but also a brilliant team move. Was unreal how they manage to hold onto the ball and keep.it in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭supernova5

Peter Duggan's point v Galway [drawn game] 2018

surely one of the greatest individuals efforts seen in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭largepants

John Doyle's point v Limerick in Gaelic Grounds in qualifier in 2008. As good as Maurice Fitzgeralds.

Some of the best scores so far in the league

David Clifford v Dublin
    Conor Mcmanus v Dublin
    Conor Mccarthy v Dublin
    Shane Walsh v Kerry
    Darren McCurry v Kerry
    Evan O'Carolll v Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not sure if on the video but Joe Kavanagh goal v Meath in 99 was a beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

hurler32 wrote: »
    Ciaran Careys point for Limerick V clare in 1996 in Limerick
    Jimmy Barry Murphys overhead pull goal for Cork V Galway early 80s
    John Fentons goal for Cork v Limerick in 1987 from 60 yards out

Seamus Darbys goal in 82 for Offaly v kerry has to be the most iconic GAA score of all time

I've seen Fenton's lots of times on tg4. Completely unintentional goal. He just swiped as hard as he could at a ball that bobbled up nicely for him. Wouldn't rate it as a great score

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

tanko wrote: »
    I'd consider Brian Doohers point from the sideline against Kerry in the 2008 final as good a score as any.

I was there that day and that was a stupendous score.

Tyrone hat on....

Peter Canavan's goal against Kerry in the 2005 final. You couldn't have placed it better if you tried 100 times.

Mulligan's goal against Dublin. More dummys than you'd see in the window of a clothes shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Peadar Carton's goal to win Leinster under 21 in 2006.

Advertisement