Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2020, 22:12   #1
Eddie Ere

Laptop for Software Dev/Programming

Hi folks, so I have done a search on this and a lot of the results have bought up people looking for recommendations on laptops in the 750€+ range. I am not in a position to spend that money on one at the minute, max spend would be around the 450€ mark.

I'm starting a course in software development which will involve coding and programming. Besides that it will get typical office use with Word/Excel and the like. Mobility is not that important, I don't mind if it's a little bulky. Warranty not a huge issue as long as it's got one. Have always used Windows, so I would be more inclined to one that runs it.

I wouldn't consider myself a dunce when it comes to tech, I'm just looking for some help from those who are more experienced and knowledgeable!
I understand RAM is a key component and an SSD? Thanks for any help and suggestions on a purchase.
Advertisement
21-01-2020, 12:06   #2
fmcato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ere View Post
Hi folks, so I have done a search on this and a lot of the results have bought up people looking for recommendations on laptops in the 750€+ range. I am not in a position to spend that money on one at the minute, max spend would be around the 450€ mark.

I'm starting a course in software development which will involve coding and programming. Besides that it will get typical office use with Word/Excel and the like. Mobility is not that important, I don't mind if it's a little bulky. Warranty not a huge issue as long as it's got one. Have always used Windows, so I would be more inclined to one that runs it.

I wouldn't consider myself a dunce when it comes to tech, I'm just looking for some help from those who are more experienced and knowledgeable!
I understand RAM is a key component and an SSD? Thanks for any help and suggestions on a purchase.

Consider the following for development:
- Development tools take quite a bit of RAM and load tons of libraries from disk.
- When coding you'll be looking at tons of text on screen, and the more text you can see without straining your eyes the better.
- Lots of typing symbols you rarely see in regular texts (e.g. |)

You definitely want a 256GB+ SSD, a full HD screen and 8GB+ RAM. Also I'd try to get a 14+ inches screen.

Plus test the keyboard, specially for typing symbols you see usually in programming (; & | <> {} () etc.). Some cheap laptops do with a single shift key and that makes a world of difference.
Thanks from:
21-01-2020, 22:12   #3
Eddie Ere

Thanks for the reply and the helpful information.

I've been suggested both of these, which are the absolute maximum of my budget:

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/lenovo-...uk/version.asp

Can anyone help with a decision, there's not much to split them in my eyes!
23-01-2020, 23:10   #4
fmcato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Ere View Post
Thanks for the reply and the helpful information.

I've been suggested both of these, which are the absolute maximum of my budget:

Can anyone help with a decision, there's not much to split them in my eyes!
The intel one, battery lasts longer.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion