Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord using tenants address for his post.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

They are doing something shady, they are refusing to allow their tenants enjoy their home in peace.

I can't think of any legitimate reason to bully your tenant into collecting your post other than it being something shady. If they can call to the house they are living local so should update the postal address.

Your don't know the landlords financial position. Maybe trying to hold onto tracker? Need address for when they move back.
    Why do people assume the landlord is doing something wrong.

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    That is exactly what I thought when I read the post, Belfe. This property owner's approach suggests that he does not have a tenancy agreement with the people on his property.

It is not that straightforward. If the tenant is paying bills and their own letters going to the address then it is obvious two families cannot live in the one address.

rocjohn wrote: »
    from reading the rtb website ,registration of a tenancy implies state registration of a home address as the site goes onto explain that without registration there may be problems claiming tax refunds,mortgage approval etc .
    I interpreted ( I may be wrong ,its just my reading of what is written by rtb) this to mean that without registration a renter is not officially domiciled in the state and somebody else,in this case the property owner is actually living there.

The landlord had apparently lived in the apartment before we moved in .There was no one present when we viewed it other than the agent. The landlords parents have a property abroad where they live and according to them were involved in the property business and have other properties let out in Dublin.They apparently were using the landlords address for their post before we rented.They do not have any health issues as far as I am aware ( as suggested by one poster) that would necessitate them using our address.

We signed a one year standard lease,following which we attained part 4 rights.We would have moved out two years ago after one particular encounter in the apartment .I made a statement to the Guards that night,but decided not to lodge an official complaint in the hope things got better and because of the extremely tough rental situation.We rented the apartment at slightly above the market rate in the area at the time.
    We have paid the rent in full and on time and have always promptly reported any maintenance issues to the landlord.

If you had an issue a year or so ago definately move.
    You are paying rent into an Irish bank account from an Irish bank account registered yo that address. You can prove you have lived in the property in the form of bills, revenue letters, dr registration, bank accounts registered to the address, work contract. You will be ok so no issue with checking if domiciled at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

tvjunki wrote: »
    Your don't know the landlords financial position. Maybe trying to hold onto tracker? Need address for when they move back.

Last I checked, mortgage fraud was in fact "something wrong..."

Also, the post thing alone might not be proof positive of wrongdoing, but the fact that he also hasn't registered the tenancy makes it a lot more likely that he's up to something shady. And that's all aside from the menacing behaviour that the OP claims the landlord has been engaged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Then they could try something like saying their son is out if the country and they will collect the post for him in case anything important comes. They will only call at a set time once a month and just grab the post and run. And even throw in a free month rent at Christmas for the trouble.

But they don't they call at all times and bully the tenant when they complain.

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    Last I checked, mortgage fraud was in fact "something wrong

Obtaining a mortgage with false information is fraud. I don't think keeping a tracker is fraud. The mortgage is paid that is all the bank wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

This would appear to be a legal tenancy, given information in a recent post.The property owner will be in trouble if he did not register. He will need to pay whatever is owed and register in future.The renter is not obliged to deliver post to the owner. The owner seems very dissatisfied for some reason and may exercise his right to end the tenancy on one of the legitimate grounds for doing so. This appears to be an unpleasant arrangement.

graham,
    Sorry deleted [/quote] in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

For the first 6 months I'd abide it but any longer and previous landlords have found a huge amount of important mail suddenly hasn't arrived to the house. They eventually get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Obtaining a mortgage with false information is fraud. I don't think keeping a tracker is fraud. The mortgage is paid that is all the bank wants.

If the terms of your loan require the property to remain your primary residence and you actively try to hide from the bank that you no longer live at the property and it's now being let out as a rental property and thus you are not abiding by the terms of your mortgage, that is still fraud.

Yes, the bank cares about the mortgage being paid, but they also care that the asset securing the loan is the borrower's primary residence and will be cared for as such. They don't want it in the hands of an unvetted tenant who may damage the property, they don't want it encumbered with a tenancy that will make it more difficult, time-consuming, and expensive to sell should they need to move to repossess it, and they don't want the owner's property insurance policy to be invalidated because the home is being let in violation of that policy's terms and conditions as well, possibly leaving the lender with no recourse to recover their money should the property be damaged or destroyed.

• Advertisement

For the first 6 months I'd abide it but any longer and previous landlords have found a huge amount of important mail suddenly hasn't arrived to the house. They eventually get the message.

Pretty s*itty thing to do, why not just throw the mail in a box for him/her to collect. It’s effortless.

Pretty s*itty thing to do, why not just throw the mail in a box for him/her to collect. It’s effortless.

It’s my house and not someone else’s mailbox. Knock a hundred off the rent if you want that sort of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It’s my house and not someone else’s mailbox. Knock a hundred off the rent if you want that sort of service.

It may be your home, but it's not your house. That behaviour is a bit suspect and I'd have you out of there ASAP.

It sounds like the relationship between the property owner and the renter is beyond repair, to be quite honest. How that happened or whose fault it was is not relevant. The renter appears to have a legitimate lease, but if I were him I would be expecting an early termination on one of the accepted owner's grounds, and I would be looking for somewhere else. Owners and renters do not need to be bosom pals but there has to be a certain good-will factor I cannot understand how anyone would stay in a place where he and his wife felt intimidated as described. Nor is it likely that an owner would wish to continue in a contract with individuals who have reported him to the police.

It may be your home, but it's not your house. That behaviour is a bit suspect and I'd have you out of there ASAP.

It is my house. I have rights to reside in it. He doesn't.

You wouldn't have a chance with me big man. The law is on my side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Try selling "your house".

There are ways and means. Destroying personal property, i.e. post being a good start.

Dont feed the trolls people.

Try selling "your house".

There are ways and means. Destroying personal property, i.e. post being a good start.

That's what these hard man landlords think. They soon forget that they're the ones with a fixed addrsss and tangible assets. And if they're using the tenants house for mail then that will likely be interesting to revenue and banks.

I completely destroyed one landlord that crossed me before.

Don't feed the trolls folks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dennyk wrote: »
    the fact that he also hasn't registered the tenancy
    The PTRB takes an age to update their database.

Anyhoo's, as the OP lives in fear of the landlord, IMO if they're not going to stand up against him, the OP should move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    Dont feed the trolls people.

leave moderation to the moderators. Report posts if you have issues - nobody at all has here yet

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Oh dear. I feel like im in the local chip shop after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If the landlord said to them, hey some mail still comes here for me would it be okay if i popped round once a month at a set time and grabbed it from you. I don't think anyone would have an issue.

But the landlord calls at random unannounced times and demands his post. And has now started bullying a woman over it because they are rightfully sick of these unannounced drop ins.

He claims he has a right to it, but in fact he doesn't. The tenants have a legal right to enjoy their home in peace without this intrusion.

OP, if you want to meet him half way then tell him he can only call at a set time once a month to collect post. Otherwise you won't be able to meet him and he isn't allowed to call unannounced. If he tries to call outside the time set tell him you are unavailable.

Call the PRTB and get this complaint on record. Use their mediation service if you need to.

If he tries to bully you again tell him he will have to enter into mediation with the PRTB if he wants to discuss it further.

Advertisement