Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a projector or TV?

Options
  • 23-01-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I have recently moved in a new house and my 42 inch samsung looks too small for the living room.

I'd mostly use the TV/projector in the living room to watch Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime.

The smart functionality makes my life lot easy as I don't need to have my laptop plugged anywhere, also I can keep the tv stand very clear.

However, I'd need to get a huge TV to fit in this room and I'm really considering buying a projector instead.

What are the limitations compared to a TV?

Also price matters! I'm on a very short budget :(

Thanks!!

wHiRhdg.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If your viewing is in your living room and includes daytime/regular lighting conditions, And you like smart tv functionality, I’d strongly recommend you get a larger tv - try measuring up for a 65” tv, it’d be about 1400mm (57” in old money) wide, 34” high. Dimensions for TVs can be found on online retailers or manufacturers websites so you can easily fund out what you think will suit size-wise.

A projector will not perform well in normal lighting conditions, you will need to have some kind of light control in the room, it will need to be ceiling mounted with associated signal and power cable installation, will need a sound system ( av receiver, speakers or up-market sound bar) to enable you to connect various sources to the projector and provide sound. You’ll also need a fixed or retractable screen - if someone tells you you can just point it at your cream wall and you’ll be grand, you’ll end up having spent your money to obtain the worst possible video quality.

A projector can be used to view the kind of stuff you’d watch on tv, but it’s not a substitute or alternative to a TV.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

The Ritz wrote: »
    If your viewing is in your living room and includes daytime/regular lighting conditions, And you like smart tv functionality, I’d strongly recommend you get a larger tv - try measuring up for a 65” tv, it’d be about 1400mm (57” in old money) wide, 34” high. Dimensions for TVs can be found on online retailers or manufacturers websites so you can easily fund out what you think will suit size-wise.

A projector will not perform well in normal lighting conditions, you will need to have some kind of light control in the room, it will need to be ceiling mounted with associated signal and power cable installation, will need a sound system ( av receiver, speakers or up-market sound bar) to enable you to connect various sources to the projector and provide sound. You’ll also need a fixed or retractable screen - if someone tells you you can just point it at your cream wall and you’ll be grand, you’ll end up having spent your money to obtain the worst possible video quality.

A projector can be used to view the kind of stuff you’d watch on tv, but it’s not a substitute or alternative to a TV.

Ritz.

Great answer, thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have a projector and it's awesome for sports events and movies but you really need a dedicated room for it separate from your normal 'living room'.

As a previous poster has mentioned, it's not just a projector that you'd need, an amp, screen and speakers at a minimum - the price will add up.

Add in things like blackout blinds/heavy curtains and painting the room a really dark colour and it may be an impracticable proposition - particularly for your partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I bought my current house 2 years ago and the previous owner left the projector and screen. As has been said, light is a big factor especially when trying to watch something on a bright summer's day. The fan also makes a bit of noise which is most noticeable when the volume is low.

The bloody thing stopped working a few days ago, hence the reason I'm in this forum!.

Advertisement