Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-06-2020, 10:35   #16
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopboggybog View Post
Both are actually crap.

Cork is probably the strictest place in Ireland.

Kilkenny wins hands down
Sorry but how do you draw that conclusion? Kilkenny has only 2 nightclubs, both of which are quite country as far as I recall, lots of seating, bar stools and bogger music.

OP is looking for dance clubs. Kilkenny is better than the bigger cities if you're looking for a more relaxed atmosphere but obviously the OP is looking for something a little more exclusive. I don't see how Dublin has any competition in Ireland in that regard.
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 10:38   #17
LaptopGremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
Sorry but how do you draw that conclusion? Kilkenny has only 2 nightclubs, both of which are quite country as far as I recall, lots of seating, bar stools and bogger music.

OP is looking for dance clubs. Kilkenny is better than the bigger cities if you're looking for a more relaxed atmosphere but obviously the OP is looking for something a little more exclusive. I don't see how Dublin has any competition in Ireland in that regard.
Just for clarity, that includes Cork?

And yes, dance clubs, electronic music, fullvenues, short skirts, energetic chicks, diversity etc

Dublin hands down, Cork doesn't feature?
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 10:44   #18
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiltloop View Post
Early 00s were definitely the golden time for me anyway. It could be just down to the age I was then (20 - 21) but there were some great little sweaty clubs around Dublin at the time banging out some good hard techno and there was always an after party or warehouse/beach rave.
Its without question the golden time for nightlife in Dublin ,
When the crash it it decimated the scene its never been the same since, So much variety and so many great spots and the punter was even different back them ,

Even Ibiza isn't the same as it was back then
03-06-2020, 10:46   #19
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaptopGremlin View Post
Just for clarity, that includes Cork?

And yes, dance clubs, electronic music, fullvenues, short skirts, energetic chicks, diversity etc

Dublin hands down, Cork doesn't feature?
1)Yes there is no competition in rest of Ireland. It's a handsdown win for Dublin if that's what you're looking for.

2)There is no way you are for real. Right?
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 10:52   #20
Balmed Out

I used to prefer the Cork however nightclub wise it's gone way down hill and pub wise it used to have a lot more variety but over the last 20 years many have copied the same format leaving a sameness feel to many which is what I would have complained about Dublin pubs. The better pubs seem to ring the city centre too so you kind of need to know where you're going. Gigs wise Dublin has always been miles better.
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 11:05   #21
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post

dublin has no real competition for anything and i say that as someone who likes cork a lot
03-06-2020, 11:09   #22
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by namloc1980 View Post
"not to be poof". Imagine being at the point of creating a thread and creating a narrative about nightlife in Irish cities just to show your intolerance. Find better things to do OP.
Post from the 1990s? Haven't heard that term in years.
03-06-2020, 11:25   #23
Fieldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Not sure the OP even understands that without "Poof's" and people of other races, nationalities and cultures we probably wouldn't have house and techno music...

*Shrugs*
03-06-2020, 11:35   #24
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
Get out the Time Machine

1990s?? More 1960s 1970s Carry on films, Dick Emery, or The Comedians as in " Paddy went into this pub, there was a Paki and a poof sitting at the bar"
Advertisement
03-06-2020, 11:37   #25
bb1234567

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
Its answer is without question Dublin , its a bigger City so has way more to chose from and wider variety ,
People may not like Dublin or Dubs and prefer a smaller City feel but if your to compare both on night life and are honest its Dublin hands down,

Now in saying that I think night life in Ireland peaked in the early 00's , I don't think you will ever see night life like that again in Ireland ,
There a number of reasons it was the height of the boom , so many people out so many clubs to chose from , Money a plenty , Social media wasn't around really so people where out to just enjoy themselves not for pictures or to be seen somewhere,
Now young people all know each other from Instagram and the likes back then you'd bump into some have a cracker of a night and never see them again , It also cause tension in some clubs as people no everyone else's business ,

Early 00's they where good times to be young and on the party scene, ,
Much younger population back in early 00 as well
03-06-2020, 11:38   #26
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
dublin has no real competition for anything and i say that as someone who likes cork a lot
Well you can't beat the west coast for rural scenery. Country folks in Ireland also go on about how much friendlier / non pretentious they are in country pubs. But I think this is nonsense, in small towns you're a lot more likely to be eye-balled and then ignored after being deemed to be a 'blow-in', they only get friendly (or agro depending on what stage they are in their manic depressive cycle) when they get to the stage of alcohol poisoning of being unable to fully open their eyelids. I get a lot more chat to strangers in Dublin than I would anywhere else, especially if you go a little bit outside the City Centre to say Rathmines/Ranelagh, Stoneybatter/Phibsboro etc. also the chat is generally coherent and good banter, not drunken babble without any consonants.
Thanks from:
03-06-2020, 11:39   #27
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldog View Post
Not sure the OP even understands that without "Poof's" and people of other races, nationalities and cultures we probably wouldn't have house and techno music...

*Shrugs*
odds of OP being a real person are basically 0
(2) thanks from:
03-06-2020, 11:52   #28
Peter T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmed Out View Post
I used to prefer the Cork however nightclub wise it's gone way down hill and pub wise it used to have a lot more variety but over the last 20 years many have copied the same format leaving a sameness feel to many which is what I would have complained about Dublin pubs. The better pubs seem to ring the city centre too so you kind of need to know where you're going. Gigs wise Dublin has always been miles better.
Id agree with you here. Most popular pubs and clubs in cork are owned by the same few people. They then all fall into the same format and realistically you could be in any of them and they feel the same. Same music and almost the same set week in week out. You do get gigs popping up but not frequent as dublin. Plenty of good pubs but off the beaten track for people just visiting for a weekend.
03-06-2020, 12:49   #29
LaptopGremlin

Cork sounds like another overly Irish culturalized city/town?

See, I see a long line of college gals queuing for a nightclub with basically 95 to 99% of their legs on display and it's.....

The degree and frequency to which Cork offers this in contrast to Dublin is the ultimate issue I'm trying to address here.

Now it's a college town so I'm sure there's some, but by the sounds of things it pales in contast to the big smoke.
03-06-2020, 12:58   #30
cgcsb

You sound like a wind-up merchant that is unfamiliar with western civilization.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion