Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD GAMSAT 58* to 59*?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just noticed this on the UCD GEM page...can’t link as I’m a new user.

Any idea as to why the 2 scores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

Random allocation - some people who get 58 will get in, some won't. Anyone with 59 got in to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ERpunk

DivaDanto wrote: »
    Random allocation - some people who get 58 will get in, some won't. Anyone with 59 got in to the course.

Thanks for the reply, this isn’t true though, both myself and a classmate who got 59 were not offered UCD spots, that’s why I’m curious they say 58* to 59*, some people with 59 didn’t get in while some with 58 did it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

was it 58* for the year before 2018 entry and then 59* for 2019 entry? I thought thats what it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

DivaDanto wrote: »

This definitely is not true.

I just looked at the website. To me, it just looks like they are giving a general range. Doesn't specifically say what year it relates to. Also, when the GAMSAT scores are put down with a * it means not all with that score get in so it would not make sense for there to be 58* and 59* in the same year because the GAMSAT is the only deciding factor - so they couldn't have offered some people with a 59 and not others but also offer some people with a 58.

The application process in all GEMS courses in the same so once you have a 2.1 in your first level 8 degree, your admission is solely based on your GAMSAT score. So it is impossible to fully predict what the cut off will be because the results are obviously variable year on year. The universities choose a cut off score that allows them to fill their spots with enough students so UCD has 77 - if 70 students get 60 or above, then the score will likely be 59* as they will offer to the 70 students with a 60+ and another 7 students to fill seats through the random lottery.

During the first week or two, there are people that drop out and new people that come in. Again, these are people who luck out in the GAMSAT lottery and get randomly pulled.

In my opinion, somebody with a 58/59 is quite likely to get in to GEMS but not guaranteed to be the one you may want.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

I know this is not exactly on topic, but does anyone know how many people enter UL with the cut off points?

Would most of the students be there with points above 56 or would it mostly be 56 and 55?

I am only wondering as I received 55 from my first GAMSAT and hoping to improve it this year, and just in case that does not work out, am I able to rely on my 55 (I'm guessing not so much).

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

Peek1 wrote: »
    I know this is not exactly on topic, but does anyone know how many people enter UL with the cut off points?

Would most of the students be there with points above 56 or would it mostly be 56 and 55?

I am only wondering as I received 55 from my first GAMSAT and hoping to improve it this year, and just in case that does not work out, am I able to rely on my 55 (I'm guessing not so much).

Thanks.

I think a lot get in on 55, the year before all 55s got in and it went to 54, its just all luck based depending on what year you apply....this whole thing is very lottery-like lol

I think a lot get in on 55, the year before all 55s got in and it went to 54, its just all luck based depending on what year you apply....this whole thing is very lottery-like lol

Totally agree, honestly it would be nice to get a spot this way, but would love to earn the spot for definite with something above a 55.

Definitely depends on the year how many get in on the * score. For the 2019 intake, UL definitely had people on the waiting list on 55 who didn't get in.

I believe UL may have offered more places in round 0 than they had knowing there would be a % that would not accept or drop out. They did not put out any offers in round 1 last year so the intake was full from round 0 on 55*.

I don't envy anyone on a border line score as unfortunately I think if you are on a * Gamsat score it is just a total crap shoot as to whether you or somebody else get a spot.

Thanks for the info, I had thought that's the case for border line scores.

Even though I'm not relying on the 55 as I'm hoping to increase the scores right now, I wonder what are the chances of decreased points for this year. Even if it's by a single point?

Thanks for the info, I had thought that's the case for border line scores.

Even though I'm not relying on the 55 as I'm hoping to increase the scores right now, I wonder what are the chances of decreased points for this year. Even if it's by a single point?

The round 0 score has been 55/55* for the last 4 or 5 years so I personally wouldn't bet on it dropping. But I'm very happy to eat my words in August because it could go down - nobody knows. I know it is a crappy place to be sitting around waiting to know for months after the exam - if you are sitting it again in the next few weeks even a 1 or 2 point increase should put you in a much more secure position I would imagine.

• Advertisement

RoundPony wrote: »
    The round 0 score has been 55/55* for the last 4 or 5 years so I personally wouldn't bet on it dropping. But I'm very happy to eat my words in August because it could go down - nobody knows. I know it is a crappy place to be sitting around waiting to know for months after the exam - if you are sitting it again in the next few weeks even a 1 or 2 point increase should put you in a much more secure position I would imagine.

That is my understanding also in regards to point fluctuation, nobody can really say, the only reason I mentioned it is because of the corona shenanigans that's been happening, but could work the other way around too.

And also yep, I'm sitting the first exam this weekend like most people here at the moment and id be happy with a one or two point increase for sure, I was only worried incase I suddenly got sick or anything along the lines and would have to rely on the 55.

RoundPony, sounds like you are already a gem? if so mind if I ask which college?

That is my understanding also in regards to point fluctuation, nobody can really say, the only reason I mentioned it is because of the corona shenanigans that's been happening, but could work the other way around too.

RoundPony, sounds like you are already a gem? if so mind if I ask which college?

Yea I do agree this situation could have an impact for sure - I was thinking that there might be more of an impact next year as most people this year would likely already be convinced they want to study medicine where next year people might have more opportunity to think about it during the pandemic (completely overanalysing this :D:D)

Yes I’m in UL.

Advertisement