Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New guidance on CBAs

Options
  • 28-05-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

So I've just been sent this link

Isn't this a bit late? I have a few students who did a pretty lacklustre CBA at the end of April/start of May and now won't have a chance to do a better one next year. When I think of the energy expended getting them to engage - it would have been so much easier to keep teaching the course. Nothing has changed in the outlook in the last 6 weeks so I don't see why this guidance couldn't have come earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I totally get the frustration of the announcement being so late but in a way I'm surprised we actually got this information this academic year. I do think it is a welcomed thing and should be looked at going forward. One CBA going forward that encompasses elements of the current two insofar as is possible in some subjects. There will also be a change to some ATs, because schools who choose to leave and sign off on CBA 1 - the AT will have to match that as opposed to being linked directly to CBA 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

LW2018 wrote: »
    I totally get the frustration of the announcement being so late but in a way I'm surprised we actually got this information this academic year. I do think it is a welcomed thing and should be looked at going forward. One CBA going forward that encompasses elements of the current two insofar as is possible in some subjects. There will also be a change to some ATs, because schools who choose to leave and sign off on CBA 1 - the AT will have to match that as opposed to being linked directly to CBA 2.

100%
    The opportunity should be taken to reduce it to one CBA and save 3 weeks tuition time . The reality is CBA overload was only just being felt .
    If the “blended learning “ model does indeed come into effect then they have to be reduced.
    The second year CBA in my subject simply can’t happen as it’s stands now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

km79 wrote: »
    100%
    The opportunity should be taken to reduce it to one CBA and save 3 weeks tuition time . The reality is CBA overload was only just being felt .
    If the “blended learning “ model does indeed come into effect then they have to be reduced.
    The second year CBA in my subject simply can’t happen as it’s stands now anyway

It would be so difficult to run 2 of them - particularly as you say with blended learning. The loss of genuine tuition time is always at the back of my mind with them - have started guiding them towards work that is applicable for their written exam where possible to keep the learning tipping over... Hopefully this will ease a lot of the assessment pressure of students and be advised and recommended going forward. I think all in a school community would be in favour of this.

Advertisement