Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blended Learning

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There will be a serious burnout issue with principals and deputy principals this year if July provision is taken up in schools.

A horrible couple of months trying to deal with every quibble under the sun and then told that they are not entitled to holidays.

Well I hope those condescending principals who were promoting predictive grades in the Irish Times are going to step up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Treppen wrote: »
    Well I hope those condescending principals who were promoting predictive grades in the Irish Times are going to step up :pac:

You will find the loudest principals in print are the most absent on the ground. The best principals in the country are largely invisible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Having had time to digest it I am now so angry .
    Time for the unions to step up.

On the one hand the govt want everyone to comply with restrictions and social distancing all summer (which I have done all along ) but on the other hand they want us just to forget about them at the end of the summer . In schools only . Rather than put more funding in !
    There are 1200 personnel in our school. Who will all go home to families etc .

If this is the “plan “ they may as well just open the whole country up right now to hell .
    Interestingly universities are continuing with a “blended learning “ model until at least January . No lectures basically . Only tutorials, labs etc

We are in danger of being thrown to the wolves (note the start of that document refers ONLY to student wellbeing and THEIR families ).
    The unions have a long summer ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

km79 wrote: »
    Having had time to digest it I am now so angry .
    Time for the unions to step up.

On the one hand the govt want everyone to comply with restrictions and social distancing all summer (which I have done all along ) but on the other hand they want us just to forget about them at the end of the summer . In schools only . Rather than put more funding in !
    There are 1200 personnel in our school. Who will all go home to families etc .

If this is the “plan “ they may as well just open the whole country up right now to hell .
    Interestingly universities are continuing with a “blended learning “ model until at least January . No lectures basically . Only tutorials, labs etc

We are in danger of being thrown to the wolves (note the start of that document refers ONLY to student wellbeing and THEIR families ).
    The unions have a long summer ahead

I reckon it'll be all back to normal by September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

NUIG sent that email today
    That is their revised plan
    I don’t think it will change again .

https://www.asti.ie/news/physical-distancing-for-schools-must-be-in-line-with-public/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think they need to differentiate between primary and post primary.There are issues in each that do not exist in the other.Blended learning might work for secondary students-not a hope for primary students (obviously ignoring the fact of having a parent at home to supervise the online learning, and the extra work burden on teachers at basically having to double job). There is a lot more movement around schools during the day in secondary than primary.Secondary students can understand distancing a lot better than primary. Different sets of challenges, needing different solutions.A broad brush application of solutions is not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

That was 27 pages of nothing much. Just an official document for the record. Meaningful discussion does not take place in a public document like that.

And McHugh is probably content enough to act the maverick on social distancing happy in the knowledge that it'll be a different Minister for Education who'll have to deal with the problem ultimately. There's also the reality that by trying to pretend it'll be business as usual in August they avoid the tricky question of how exactly it'll work.

We should be due a Simon Harris soundbite on maybe reopening schools in July to catch up. Those Sunday newspaper headlines won't write themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ohhhh that's soooo definitely going ahead.... "By hook or by crook".

*Cough* ( Into my elbow , obvs.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don’t think so, they are kite-flying at present . Even at 1 m, many primary classrooms won’t have space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got sent the tui’s response on Friday night.
    Realistically though if the Minister says we must go back
    With no social distancing can the unions do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Israel has noted a spike in coronavirus cases as schools, businesses, restaurants, bars, tourist attractions and other establishments reopen, leading to 177 schools and educational institutions throughout the country closing again after 493 students and teachers tested positive for the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maybe we also need to remind the policy makers that we don't have the basic infrastructure in this country to support any kind of 'blended learning'. The national broadband plan is a mess.

I don't have a stable internet connection at home, I'm straining to work from home on a mobile hotspot, there's no way my children can also be on concurrent video calls to various teachers. Who is going to suddenly supply the hundred thousand laptops and printers needed, and even set up a home study space for children. Utter nonsense.

Advertisement