Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19 year old, motorcycle insurance

Options
  • 25-05-2020 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, does anybody have any idea of which company is the most reasonable to deal with for my first motorcycle insurance policy?

I am 19 with an A2 licence and have a 2017 KTM Duke 390. I contacted Liberty who told me that I would have to have my licence for 3 years before even quoting me!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

AXA (direct)
    Principal
    Carole Nash

(Both of the latter are under written by AXA)

Also worth looking into MCE, they were due to pull out of the Irish market last year but from reading on Facebook, apparently they’re still trading here.

Have you a full licence or is it a learner permit?

Consider the rider assessment through AXA or Liberty if you go with either, the other companies are only brokers and don’t recognise same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Max_Honda

AXA (direct)
    Principal
    Carole Nash

(Both of the latter are under written by AXA)

Also worth looking into MCE, they were due to pull out of the Irish market last year but from reading on Facebook, apparently they’re still trading here.

Have you a full licence or is it a learner permit?

Consider the rider assessment through AXA or Liberty if you go with either, the other companies are only brokers and don’t recognise same.

Thanks, I currently have a learner but have my IBT booked. I was getting the quote on the basis of me having the IBT done (full licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Max_Honda wrote: »
    Hi all, does anybody have any idea of which company is the most reasonable to deal with for my first motorcycle insurance policy?

I am 19 with an A2 licence and have a 2017 KTM Duke 390. I contacted Liberty who told me that I would have to have my licence for 3 years before even quoting me!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

So who insured it up to now ??

I suspect the problem is that its a KTM, not your age....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks, I currently have a learner but have my IBT booked. I was getting the quote on the basis of me having the IBT done (full licence)

IBT isn't a full licence, IBT is the training needed to be allowed ride on the road.

Liberty are a waste of time, told me the same at 35 on a 250. Principal worked out best in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

I’m with galwaytt in that it’s probably the bike is the issue here. Also IBT does not get you a full licence just to clarify that, it’s training to enable you to ride alone while learning so you can prepare for your test down the line. Did you already buy the bike?

• Advertisement

I’m with galwaytt in that it’s probably the bike is the issue here. Also IBT does not get you a full licence just to clarify that, it’s training to enable you to ride alone while learning so you can prepare for your test down the line. Did you already buy the bike?

Thanks for the advice, I was under the impression that once I completed the IBT I could apply for my full licence, thanks for clarifying that. No I have a deposit put down on one with a dealer in the UK and I hope to have it over here within the next week or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

If you have your learner permit for at least 6 months when you do the IBT you can apply for the full test then. Unfortunately you need to have held the learner permit for at least 6 months before you can sit your full test. (same applies to cars)

As others have said ring Carole Nash and Principal. It's not a good idea buying a bike before you have figured out the insurance cost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for the advice, I was under the impression that once I completed the IBT I could apply for my full licence, thanks for clarifying that. No I have a deposit put down on one with a dealer in the UK and I hope to have it over here within the next week or two...

Not quite - my young lad is in the throes of it, here's the how-to:
    1. Theory Test.... which allows you to get a...
    2. Learner Permit.... which allows you to do your...
    3. IBT.....which allows you to...
    4. Ride on the Road..... as a Learner, with your L-tabbard etc until you have....
    5. 6 months riding on the road done..... which allows you to.....
    6. Apply for your Test....and which, once passed allows you to....
    7. Ride whatever category bike your test was, for 2 years, before you 'progress' to something else

So, I would think the timescale for all of the above is at least 9 months, and more likely a year. By which time you'll be....24 ?

So, you've steps 1 & 2 done, waiting on #3. Hopefully that will be soon enough: bikes don't have the same limitations lessons-wise as cars, but it'll be at least 4 months. It's only after you have your IBT done and 6 months riding done that you can even apply for your test, and I suspect the waiting list will means you're looking at 2021 for your test.

By which time you'll be 24.

Whenever your birthday is kinda key - very close or reasonable to, just pause and go straight to the A. If not, remember if you do the Test on A2, whilst you don't have to do any further test to get the A later - but you will have to do Mod 5 Training - you still can't change to an A bike for 2 years after your test. At which point your 26.

I know which I'd do.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not quite - my young lad is in the throes of it, here's the how-to:
    1. Theory Test.... which allows you to get a...
    2. Learner Permit.... which allows you to do your...
    3. IBT.....which allows you to...
    4. Ride on the Road..... as a Learner, with your L-tabbard etc until you have....
    5. 6 months riding on the road done..... which allows you to.....
    6. Apply for your Test....and which, once passed allows you to....
    7. Ride whatever category bike your test was, for 2 years, before you 'progress' to something else

So, I would think the timescale for all of the above is at least 9 months, and more likely a year. By which time you'll be....24 ?

So, you've steps 1 & 2 done, waiting on #3. Hopefully that will be soon enough: bikes don't have the same limitations lessons-wise as cars, but it'll be at least 4 months. It's only after you have your IBT done and 6 months riding done that you can even apply for your test, and I suspect the waiting list will means you're looking at 2021 for your test.

By which time you'll be 24.

Whenever your birthday is kinda key - very close or reasonable to, just pause and go straight to the A. If not, remember if you do the Test on A2, whilst you don't have to do any further test to get the A later - but you will have to do Mod 5 Training - you still can't change to an A bike for 2 years after your test. At which point your 26.

I know which I'd do.

Thanks, but I am 19 now (20 in July)

Advertisement