Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-04-2020, 19:13   #1
looksee
Are you cocooning?

We have no idea where this whole Covid 19 business is going to take us, and the last few weeks have been difficult in varying degrees. For many people there is the anticipation that things may begin the ease and life begin to get back to normal, but whether you believe that depends on whether you are optimistic or pessimistic. For sure something will have to happen!

For those of us who are older and /or vulnerable, and following advice to remain at home and cocooned, the possibility of being 'let out' is looking more distant. Its been noticeable since the O&O forum started the people have not been too interested in posting problems that arise with age, but these are exceptional times and maybe people might like to share their thoughts - its really quite likely that this is one of the strangest situations that most of us have ever been in.

So, how are you coping with the situation? Is it getting you down? What are you doing to deal with it all? Are the practical issues of getting supplies your main consideration, or are you more concerned about missing opportunities to chat with friends and family?

My own situation is really not so far causing me too much hassle, though I do have some medical issues that have slowed me down to an extent that I would not be doing my more usual dashing around, even if it were possible. How long that will last I am not sure. I am very fortunate that I have a garden to potter in and plenty of projects that only require the will and energy to do them, so I have no excuse for being bored.

What is your story? How are you coping? Feel free to share your experience, hopes, aggravations and anything else that comes to mind in these really strange and challenging times.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2020, 22:38   #2
IndigoStar

I am. I have a medical condition that leaves me immunosuppressed so I'm used to lying low anyway. A simple illness takes me weeks to recover from and I'm a busy mum of two so I do my best to stay well.
Have my wonderful hubby here to get shopping/meds etc.
Quite happy here, keeping busy in the garden it's a huge hobby of mine so it's lovely to have the time to spend in it.
There's a forest about 20km from here that I would have always gone to everyday after the school run, just me and the dog. Seems trivial but that's what I am really missing.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2020, 08:52   #3
OldGoat

I guess I'm luckier than most. I have a home office, I have family here and I have the occasional excuse to travel beyond my 2km limit (complete with Garda clearance). I'm an introvert at heart and have been practicing social distancing all my life. To be perfectly honest I keep hoping that this last longer, long enough to create a seismic shift in our perception of what was routine and to make this new lifestyle become the norm. My quality of life vis-á-vis work is so much better and this is making me a happier person. I'm more productive both on the work front and the home front now that I don't have that two hour commute. I can start my day as early as I like (usually about 7) and be finished and at "home" by 3 o'clock giving me plenty of time to cook, cut the grass or take some photographs, whatever pleases me.

My wife on the other hand is not having such a glory moment. She is front line medical and the workload on her is wearing to say the least.
Every silver lining has a cloud.
29-04-2020, 22:37   #4
PlentyOhToole

Stay safe Old Goat and family and forum

Don’t be afraid to post whatever you want to post- it’s scary times indeed - I have 2-4 family members in the midst of Covid, one v elderly - please keep lines of communication open - post what you feel- there’s nothing “wrong” here in this forum for folk who are genuine- in the meantime stay safe
(3) thanks from:
22-06-2020, 22:10   #5
campingcarist

Yes, I'm cocooning except when I have to go to hospital for cancer treatment. I live in the back of beyond in the hills of lovely Donegal. No mobile phone signal (forget about this high speed broadband, just get the whole country covered with a mobile signal) so very quiet. Nearest neighbour about 1 km away.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2020, 00:28   #6
looksee
Goodness, that is a bit remote! I'm relatively rural - the nearest shop is about 15 minutes drive away, the hospital is about 40 minutes away (having done two ambulance trips in three weeks!) but I have a few neighbours and a small village - ie a church and a school - a kilometer away.

How are you getting signal to use your computer? We have barely adequate mobile and adequate but patchy wifi here. In the hospital over the weekend there was no wifi (in my particular room/side of the ward), no mobile signal, only rte1 and no visitors. It was very quiet!
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 19:11   #7
campingcarist

Internet signal comes via a satellite dish from a company in the UK. It's expensive at €44.95 a month. But at least I have the internet! From that, I can use Skype for landline connections and What's App (but few businesses use that).

I just changed from the mobile phone's message to Messenger and that seems to work through the internet so I can now get SMS texts. Useful when you log on to somewhere (banks) and they insist of verification by SMS.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 20:17   #8
looksee
That really is not expensive for wifi, I am paying more than that for very average cover.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion