Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-06-2019, 16:16   #1
wardy24

IMPORTING A UK HORSEBOX - VRT & TAX Query

Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.
Advertisement
30-06-2019, 10:12   #2
Kamili

If it was converted to a horsebox you will also need an engineers report, basically signing off on the conversion. (As in if it was originally a goods vehicle then converted for use for carrying horses)

Call the VRT office and they will confirm for you.
(2) thanks from:
27-10-2019, 12:03   #3
mammy bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy24 View Post
Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.
Hi I am just about to do the same. Collecting my 3.5 horsebox from uk next week.

Was the process of registering it as a horsebox straight forward?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion