Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters 2.1 Requirement

• 09-05-2020 3:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if a conditional offer for a masters where I must receive a 2.1 is set in stone? What are my chances of getting in with a 2.2? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

It will probably depend on the number of applicants per place. If it's a competitive course academic achievement is one way to cut people. If there are not enough applicants the college probably won't say no to the fees of anyone wanting to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

“the college probably won't say no to the fees of anyone wanting to do the course”

True, I suppose, but what if a person isn’t able for the course (not referring to the OP here)? I wonder about this because I’ve been talking to lecturers and PhD supervisor about doing a PhD (English) and have received very positive feedback about my topic and writing ability. I’m old enough to realise that this is encouragement and kindness, etc. I applied for a scholarship and didn’t get it. Now I’m thinking of self-funding because the encouragement has given me a level of belief that it’s worth it. BUT I do wonder if colleges are geared towards getting money in and, therefore, open to more applicants than should be considered in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Having recently finished a masters in NUIG I think the requirement for a 2.1 is a reasonable one. The workload is intense and the level is harder than undergrad. However if I was the admissions person I would be interested in why the applicant got a 2.2. If there were external circumstances that lead to it and maybe the applicant is a mature student with some life experience to add to academic achievement I’d look on that more favourably than someone who was 21/22 and going straight from undergrad with average grades.
    Apply anyway and write a good personal statement. You’ve nothing to lose by applying.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Paulbeth wrote: »
    “the college probably won't say no to the fees of anyone wanting to do the course”

True, I suppose, but what if a person isn’t able for the course (not referring to the OP here)? I wonder about this because I’ve been talking to lecturers and PhD supervisor about doing a PhD (English) and have received very positive feedback about my topic and writing ability. I’m old enough to realise that this is encouragement and kindness, etc. I applied for a scholarship and didn’t get it. Now I’m thinking of self-funding because the encouragement has given me a level of belief that it’s worth it. BUT I do wonder if colleges are geared towards getting money in and, therefore, open to more applicants than should be considered in reality.

Maybe I'm being too cynical but I think the reality today is that universities are run like a profit making business. I'm not sure if universities really care too much if you're academically able. 1.1 or a 3rd class honours degree, I don't think it matters as long as there's space available on the course and your primary degree is in a commensurate field.

I did my masters in the UK. One of my housemates was from a non EU country and was doing a MBA. As they were non EU their course fees were £20,000. They failed the taught part of the masters and they weren't allowed to complete the dissertation. I think all they ended up getting was a post graduate diploma in business. I don't think the university cared too much. You could debate the morality of the university accepting the student's money in the first place/offering them a place but I think it's a case of buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Maybe I'm being too cynical but I think the reality today is that universities are run like a profit making business. I'm not sure if universities really care too much if you're academically able. 1.1 or a 3rd class honours degree, I don't think it matters as long as there's space available on the course and your primary degree is in a commensurate field.

I did my masters in the UK. One of my housemates was from a non EU country and was doing a MBA. As they were non EU their course fees were £20,000. They failed the taught part of the masters and they weren't allowed to complete the dissertation. I think all they ended up getting was a post graduate diploma in business. I don't think the university cared too much. You could debate the morality of the university accepting the student's money in the first place/offering them a place but I think it's a case of buyer beware.

Yes. Such a pity that it’s like this. The scholarships are very competitive, so I didn’t feel too defeated at not getting one. Still, at the back of my mind I was thinking, “If my topic and writing skills are so good, how come I didn’t get one?” I started to question the encouragement I was getting - not that the faculty staff weren’t realistic about costs. I guess I would get through a PhD with lots of effort and they probably knew that. But it would cost me lots of money too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement