Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electricity prices on the way down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Just checked EI:

Price reduction for homes so looks like it

We recently announced that we are reducing our prices. From 1st April electricity rates will be reduced by 2.5% and gas by 11.5%, which will mean that people spending more time at home will be less impacted by energy bills.

https://www.electricireland.ie/news/article/electric-ireland---Helping-our-Customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was just thinking about this earlier.

I signed up for the One Big Switch thing but now it looks like I'll be locked into a year of quite high prices. Anyone who signed up know if that's the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I signed up for the One Big Switch thing but now it looks like I'll be locked into a year of quite high prices. Anyone who signed up know if that's the case ?

if your supplier drops prices - i imagine all will, you will see the savings also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I assume that rates are fixed for the term of the contract. You will have to wait til next year to get any benefit from the drop in prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

clevtrev wrote: »
    I assume that rates are fixed for the term of the contract. You will have to wait til next year to get any benefit from the drop in prices

Not necessarily. Often there’s a small fee for breaking the contract. They should do the sums and see if it’s worthwhile..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Often there’s a small fee for breaking the contract. They should do the sums and see if it’s worthwhile..

thats true generally 50 quid to cancel. Given the proposed price decreases are in the realm of 2-5% then it will not generally be work cancelling unless you are a heavy user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The Govt will come up with another green initiative to take it off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just like oil to fuel, the gas prices don't make a massive difference to electricity prices.

Where I work electricity is bought on a wholesale basis plus "pass through costs"

These pass through costs are 7.2c per unit, the agency fee is 1c (that's what goes to the supplier) and the electricity is just under 6c

So about 14c + vat and its a biggish user. (30k + bill a month)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Darc19 wrote: »
    Just like oil to fuel, the gas prices don't make a massive difference to electricity prices.

Where I work electricity is bought on a wholesale basis plus "pass through costs"

These pass through costs are 7.2c per unit, the agency fee is 1c (that's what goes to the supplier) and the electricity is just under 6c

So about 14c + vat and its a biggish user. (30k + bill a month)

Yep the TUoS ( Eirgrid fee for transmission ) and DUoS ( ESB Networks fee for Distribution ) make up a good chunk of the fee. Then add standing charge , carbon levy and PSO levy and the cost per unit isn’t to influential, Also 30% is renewables do not gas related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Considering changing from night rate, now that we're both working at home in the daytime and the kids have consoles/tv etc fired up too.
    Where's best to figure out usage rates and costs? And is there much cost to change the meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A couple of weeks ago FloGas was showing up as cheapest for me but now it's Electric Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 236 ✭✭evolveDD

the mother received 120 euro check from her electric provider. how nice of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

About to change the provider, should i wait? Have electric car so bills do get high

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Have flogas announced any cuts to gas rates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

the corpo wrote: »
    Considering changing from night rate, now that we're both working at home in the daytime and the kids have consoles/tv etc fired up too.
    Where's best to figure out usage rates and costs? And is there much cost to change the meter?

I can't remember exactly, but I asked that question recently of the ESB, and I think it was in the ballpark of €400, or so. I know it's not cheap. Best check yourself though as my memory is questionable at the best of times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 236 ✭✭evolveDD

uli84 wrote: »
    About to change the provider, should i wait? Have electric car so bills do get high

just curious.. how much is high and what type of car? Just curious my man. Thanks for sharing knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

uli84 wrote: »

If you don't already have one make sure you get a night time meter. Most electric cars allow you to specify a time when they take charge so you can do it so that it will charge at the might rate when it's cheaper

Advertisement