Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Expat In Netherlands

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I moved to the Netherlands around 2 months ago to live with my Dutch girlfriend.

I almost fully set up with a job, health insurance etc but my I need to get proof I am not married in Ireland or anytime before.
    I know I can get it from the Dutch embassy but that requires taking a day off work to travel to the Hague.

Does anybody know of an easier way of getting it?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

andyd12 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I moved to the Netherlands around 2 months ago to live with my Dutch girlfriend.

I almost fully set up with a job, health insurance etc but my I need to get proof I am not married in Ireland or anytime before.
    I know I can get it from the Dutch embassy but that requires taking a day off work to travel to the Hague.

Does anybody know of an easier way of getting it?

Thanks

First of all, what kind of proof are you talking about: civil or religious or both?

In the case of civil proof, you will definitely not get it from the Dutch Embassy! In the case of Ireland, there is no system to provide such proof as there is in other European countries that follow the Napoleonic code. However, if you contact the Irish Embassy in the Netherlands, they should be able to provide you with a document acceptable to the local civil authorities. However, most likely it is most likely that you will have to visit the embassy and make an affidavit before a consular officer.

For the Catholic Church, you need to contact the parish priest in each parish where you lived in Ireland and they will provide you with the appropriate documents. To avoid translation issues request that they send you the documents in Latin. If you have moved around in Ireland a lot and don't want the hassle, you could try and see if your local parish priest in the Netherlands would be willing to make an application on your behalf to the local Archbishop for a waver under Canon Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

You can apply for the Certificate of Freedom to Marry online, you don’t need to go to the embassy:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/our-services/marriage-and-civil-partnership-abroad/how-to-apply-for-certificate-of-freedom-to-marry/

It’s a hassle free process, I got it earlier this year before getting married (in NL).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭andyd12

pajor wrote: »
    You can apply for the Certificate of Freedom to Marry online, you don’t need to go to the embassy:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/our-services/marriage-and-civil-partnership-abroad/how-to-apply-for-certificate-of-freedom-to-marry/

It’s a hassle free process, I got it earlier this year before getting married (in NL).

Great thanks, I am not planning on getting married as of yet, but its the same certificate I assume??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What do you need it for? The only time i needed to produce that cert was when i was getting married.

What do you need it for? The only time i needed to produce that cert was when i was getting married.

When I went to the townhall to register in the country for BSN and that I am living with my girlfriend etc, they requested it within 3 months of my arrival. A bit odd I thought, maybe I should query it further with them also

• Advertisement

Id query that with them. I did not need to provide that when I registered to live with my girlfriend.

There is a cohabitation agreement (samenleveringscontract) that might need it but that is a much stronger legal thing than simply living together. Maybe there was a miscommunication.

Id query that with them. I did not need to provide that when I registered to live with my girlfriend.

There is a cohabitation agreement (samenleveringscontract) that might need it but that is a much stronger legal thing than simply living together. Maybe there was a miscommunication.

Ye I was just thinking it was perhaps a miscommunication. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted

Same here, I was never asked for a legal proof of marital status when registering with the gemeente. They did have difficulty accepting my birth cert as the real thing though..

They do make mistakes sometimes. I was told I needed to register with the IND which just isn' t true for EU citizens.

Local government isn’t The Netherlands’ strongest suit :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement