Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Hue Bulbs now with Bluetooth!

Options
  • 27-06-2019 3:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Philips are now adding Bluetooth to their range of Hue smart bulbs, starting in the US:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/27/18715370/philips-hue-bluetooth-smart-bulbs-no-hub

That means you can control the Hue bulbs from your phone, without the Hue Hub.

However the downside is that you can't control the bulbs when you are outside your home (outside of bluetooth range). These bulbs will continue to support Zigbee, so they will still work with the Hub if you have one.

This won't really effect those of us who already have a Hue Hub. It is more aimed at people who just want to try out one or two smart lights, without needing the cost of a hub.

If you are planning to get a lot of bulbs, a Hub is still recommended. But it reduces the cost of entry to try it out.

Previously I've recommended to only get wifi bulbs if you only plan to get one or two bulbs, otherwise get Hue. Now once these launch in Europe, I wouldn't recommend wifi bulbs anymore. I'd say everyone should start with these Hue bluetooth bulbs and if you like, upgrade to a hub.

Smart move by Hue.

And maybe we will see some of the non bluetooth ones reduced when these go on sale.

Advertisement