Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home assistant

Options
  • 30-05-2019 1:28pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone having any joy getting a Nest developer account now that works with nest is in the way out

I can't get one, old accounts work but no new ones

I recently switched smart stats to a nest model 3.

I wanted to add it to Home assistant but hit a brick wall.

Was on to them last night. Told them about my two cameras, doorbell stat and two smoke detectors.

The said don't sell it, please stick with Nest, Love the Brand.

I'll see if they email me. It's a bummer though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have an existing developer account which is still working and I'm relatively lucky that it's just Nest Protects I'm using at the moment.

It's still working at the moment but I'm pretty peeved about the decision to kill the API access all the same. Almost bought a Nest Thermostat last year but went another way and am very glad/lucky I did.

Sorry - no help but am interested in how you get on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have an existing developer account which is still working and I'm relatively lucky that it's just Nest Protects I'm using at the moment.

Nest protect don't work with it anyway sure they don't?

It's a terrible pitty. I'd add more if you had access to the night light and the motion detector.

Even the Nest ifttt channel is muck. Access to low battery is pretty useless as they use it quite well too.

Linking the activated alarm to shutting down your heating was handy that will only work with nest stats now ( it happens automatically without ifttt)

That will be gone in 2 months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Home Assistant can see the Nest Protects and check their status. I'm not sure how fast it will identify the status change if an alarm starts but in theory once the status changes I could use Home Assistant to switch on lights, turn off the heat, etc.

The motion sensor, which each Protect has, is not available via the API for separate use. This is annoying!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The motion sensor, which each Protect has, is not available via the API for separate use. This is annoying!

It's extremely annoying. I've posted on it many times before
    It's a wired motion detector in the middle of my hall and landing that is perfectly placed as a PIR.

I'd the nest protect turning off my lightwaverf boiler switch, worked.

Now I have a nest thermostat unit and it sets this up itself.

Really we should have a gas slam shut valve on the platform. Easily done too with lightwaverf or a flashed Sonoff, but expensive to get it fitted correctly

I agree with you I'm not sure how useful it is knocking off the boiler but it does it so I left it alone.

At least It's automation rather than control.

Btw it's not fully available on the nest hello either correct? I've access to motion but not button press
    I had button press and motion with the ring camera

I need to look at it again. I'd it set up before on a lamp socket, I've a Ikea zigbee lamp in the porch now and that would / might be handy.

Access to the different zones would be great , so turn on a light for an inner zone.

• Advertisement

What have you guys set and working on home assistant?

I've a few things, struggling with others, would love to get lightwaverf working, I've 24 items in the house , I've the soft gui switches added but struggled to get it to register to the hub? Not even sure I'm addressing the units correctly, to be honest the documentation is not registering with me. Need to sleep on it.

Philips hue is very easy as usual, the lux levels are way off though, this would be an issue but there are some soft daylight automations that help .

Anyone try more than one method for flashing sonoffs and has settled on one? I found the gpio link from an rPi directly to the boards worked, but I've only tried standard units

I butchered one to have mains in and LV out, have a few lv in and out things going

I haven't added any RF to home assistant

I've Sonoff RF units that are online and RF paired to a remote built into a switch

I've that copied and can turn it in from the rPi but have not tried it with home assistant. Anyone give this a go?

The Sonoff wifi bridge is great for multi and I termediate switching, anyone ever add one to home assistant?

To be honest the rf bridge on home assistant would be excellent. It would sort out the remaining 2 issues holding me back

Anyway that's my random thoughts on the endless messing around with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Stoner wrote: »
    I've Sonoff RF units that are online and RF paired to a remote built into a switch

I have been tearing out what hair I have left trying this. I have a number of Sonoff plugs (for lamps) in the sitting room timed to turn on/off. I have a Sonoff RF wall switch paired with a Sonoff hub which I want to use to turn-off the lamps when I don't want to wait up all night. When I try to set up the scene the app isn't quiet getting what I want (or maybe it is and I ain't getting it)!

wait4me wrote:
    I have been tearing out what hair I have left trying this. I have a number of Sonoff plugs (for lamps) in the sitting room timed to turn on/off. I have a Sonoff RF wall switch paired with a Sonoff hub which I want to use to turn-off the lamps when I don't want to wait up all night. When I try to set up the scene the app isn't quiet getting what I want (or maybe it is and I ain't getting it)!

Oh all I have in one area is a momentary switch soldered to a battery operated 4 button remote. So the button turns on and off the unit and timers if I want but via rf.

So I turn the lamp off at the wall switch and the app. RF and Wifi

What is a sonoff hub?

Is your sonoff wall switch RF or Wifi

The RF bridge is good as you can use more than one rf switch to switch a unit.

So I can can have rf and wifi on a switch but if I want a second switch (I've MK edge brushed chrome switches I don't like mixing and matching outlets)

So for two way and intermediate switching as I have in my hall i need the bridge as I can only have one RF remote paired to a unit, so I need to convert the other rf signal to wifi to switch the light over wifi, they are all on wifi now really as its easier to have a bridge per switch as they are only 4 channel and the intermediate arrangement is 3 switches

But for one way switching RF direct to the unit is the cheapest way to do it.

Plus all that pairing is easier as you just pair the buttons off to the bridge and its easy to change which unit it switches afterwards.

I'd plans for a smart switch with and rf transmitter in each one, but the range on them was muck. It's much easier to buy a 4 button remote C/W battery fro 2.5 and fit it to the back of any switch you want.

I don't know how to address your issue though, not sure I understand it.

Sorry for the confusion. So I have three Sonoff sockets controlling lamps; with timer on/timer off. I want to be able to override the timer function of the sockets. I have a Sonoff Bridge and a Sonoff RF switch.

I have linked the RF switch to the Bridge. (When I paired the switch to the Hub I picked one button).

My problem is when I try to create a scene in the eweLink App. What I want is: Condition - if “Socket A” is on and “Switch” is triggered, then turn off “Socket A”. If “Socket A” is off and “Switch” is triggered, then turn on “Socket A”.

However when I go to the condition in the app, I can only get one condition either “Socket A” or “Switch” but not both. Am I overthinking this and slowly losing my way?

wait4me wrote:
    My problem is when I try to create a scene in the eweLink App. What I want is: Condition - if “Socket A†is on and “Switch†is triggered, then turn off “Socket Aâ€. If “Socket A†is off and “Switch†is triggered, then turn on “Socket Aâ€.

As you know an rf switch, paired directly to the sonoff is independent of the app and automation. It will simply change the state of the unit.
    I know that is not the answer you want with your kit. But it's why I just ended up without the issue.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this - and I'm still confused (I'm easily confused BTW!!). So any suggestion on how I can over-ride the Sonoff (timer'ed) plugs with the RF switch (through the Bridge)?

wait4me wrote:
    Thanks for this - and I'm still confused (I'm easily confused BTW!!). So any suggestion on how I can over-ride the Sonoff (timer'ed) plugs with the RF switch (through the Bridge)?

Sorry for the delay.

Have your wifi plugs got an RF receiver

The new sonoff RF units can be paired with up to 14 different RF switches at the same time. No need for a bridge

It should say RF 433MHz on the units that have

However these just change the state, so if something is off you can switch it on.

But if something is due to turn on in say 1 hour it will still turn on, the rf switch won't cancel a timed event.

Is that any clearer, we might be confusing each other

I'd imagine that you'd need to code something that had the timers latched to an RF switch so that the switch would deactivate the timer.

That's not something I've tried, or have a need for.

If the plugs don't have an RF signal than you've no parallel path to switch them without a bridge or another device upstream

Unless you add in another units to power off tbe unit altogether

I know this sound mad but thinking about it I have that

I've the extension lead at my office desk fed from a lighrwaverf socket. I have my desk lamp on a sonoff so I just ask the home mini to turn it on and off.

I can power down the whole desk including the desk lamp. So thats a hardware way of doing it. I don't need it though, the lamp has no timers.

Anyway if you are in Dublin you can borrow an RF bridge of you want.

You can pair an rf switch to the bridge, then tell the bridge to switch on or off a sonoff device via wifi.

It's a way of getting rf to a unit that doesn't have the RF receiver.

Thanks for all this stoner. I was making it too complicated for myself. I have a RF switch, a bridge and a rake of sonoff sockets. I wanted to be able to turn off on on the sockets if the timer had them on. So in my first condition statement in the app I was saying if the switch is clicked AND the socket is on, turn off the socket. The AND bit was killing me. The statement that works is: if the switch is clicked, turn off the socket. And then I have a second scene, if the switch is clicked, turn on the socket. I'll be clicking all night! :D:D

Advertisement