Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonOff Low Cost Wifi Switches for Home Automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yes, you have it spot on.
    The alternative would be to use a second SonOff upstream of the mechanical switch that could act as an absolute shutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Great video detailing exactly how to flash the Sonoff with custom firmware, looks much easier then I thought
    https://youtu.be/-JxPWA-qxAk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have ordered a few.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a typical time frame by which stuff tends to reach the Irish postal system after it's been through HK?

Ordered March 30th.
    Shipped April 11th
    Departed HK April 24th
    May bank hol, blah blah.

Guess I should just be patient.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Massive delays with stuff coming from China being delivered by An Post at the moment.

The items are arriving in Ireland and then An Post seem to be keeping them for weeks if not months before delivering!

Item Ordered February 28th, it arrived in Ireland on March 17th, two months later I've received it today from An Post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

bk wrote: »
    Massive delays with stuff coming from China being delivered by An Post at the moment.

The items are arriving in Ireland and then An Post seem to be keeping them for weeks if not months before delivering!

Item Ordered February 28th, it arrived in Ireland on March 17th, two months later I've received it today from An Post!

Thought that was just me,,, A lot of items I'm getting from China are getting massively delayed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Thought that was just me,,, A lot of items I'm getting from China are getting massively delayed.

Nope, 500 post thread with loads of people having the same problem here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057689533

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote: »

i ordered on batch of snoff on November that arrived in April!!!

ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE EXT
    DUBLIN 12
    19-May-17
    17:02
    HONG KONG

Progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Stoner wrote: »
    i ordered on batch of snoff on November that arrived in April!!!

Sorry to be bumping up an old thread, but i was interested in these sonoff units i ordered one to test out.

Quick query for you Stoner, When the power is killed to the Sonoff unit does it take long to connect back to the wifi? or does it need to be paired again?

And sorry to be a Safety Stan but are they CE approved? I would be worried about them going up on fire and the insurance company not covering the damage. I suppose i could put the feed to the Sonoff unit on a rcbo for a small bit of added safety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They hold the wifi code.

They have a CE mark.

No way I'd use them with out fusing them down though

So a plug top or spur with a 5 amp fuse

They hold the wifi code.

They have a CE mark.

Oh good i was a bit concerned about the lack of approval on them, i have heard recently of an incident where an insurance company are refusing to pay out due to a fire from un-ce marked equipment.
    Once they units arrive i will put them through a couple of tests and see how they go. I plan on using 4 channel one of them to control my heating using relays and i will use the single channel as a test board.
    Do you know if they provide any of them that are capable of dimming or are dali dimming?

tweek84 wrote:
    Oh good i was a bit concerned about the lack of approval on them, i have heard recently of an incident where an insurance company are refusing to pay out due to a fire from un-ce marked equipment. Once they units arrive i will put them through a couple of tests and see how they go. I plan on using 4 channel one of them to control my heating using relays and i will use the single channel as a test board. Do you know if they provide any of them that are capable of dimming or are dali dimming?

No they are not Dali, there is no seperate control circuit they switch the power on and off

I have ones with the rf remote on them too

No they are not Dali, there is no seperate control circuit they switch the power on and off

I have ones with the rf remote on them too
    Yes but do sonoff do a dali type controller, i have seen that they do a led kit complete but i haven't seen the controllers seperate.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They hold the wifi code.

They have a CE mark.

Which CE mark?
    CE_Marks_lrg.jpg

Edit they have no CE mark.

tweek84 wrote:
    Yes but do sonoff do a dali type controller, i have seen that they do a led kit complete but i haven't seen the controllers seperate.

TBH I don't know sorry, I didn't realise you were up to speed on it.

I've seen 16 amp ones for the American market but haven't see them for 220V.

Maybe they have a better range for different markets TBH I'd be very surprised if they had a Dali interface

One very handy thing with SONOFF it has a feature where you can share a device. This is handy as you can control other devices in other locations or let others control your devices without opening all devices to others.

For example, you could install one on your mother's heating and share it with your account you can then turn on and off her heating but she can't see your devices.

tweek84 wrote:
    Quick query for you Stoner, When the power is killed to the Sonoff unit does it take long to connect back to the wifi? or does it need to be paired again?

I checked that they are back up in about 3 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭GryKyo

I checked that they are back up in about 3 seconds

I have several sonoff switches, some of which I have reflashed and use via Node-Red and MQTT. The Sonoffs are fairly robust but depending on what is happening on your router, DHCP etc they can take a while to re-connect to WiFi. On the stock firmware the Sonoff requests an IP address from the dynamic range on your router. Any re-connect delay can often be your router and the DHCP management however and if this is a problem where a fast re-connection is needed then I suggest re flashing and using a static IP address. Devices generally connect instantly in this case.

As an example: I have quite some bit of kit in my attic space ranging from CCTV to network switches, a PoE power supply and TV antenna amp, all powered and all "potentially" a fire hazard. I have a smoke alarm up there which is set up to connect to the WiFi and push-message my phone in the event of smoke. This uses a static IP address and from activation to message pop-up on my phone is under 5 seconds. The sonoff switches can take minutes depending on the mood of the various equipment!

With regard to Sonoffs, these are fantastic resources, especially if you hack stuff: Pete Scargill's Tech Blog, as is Jonathan Oxer's SuperhouseTV channel on YouTube. Also John Ward has been testing the Sonoffs for max power rating and will test the case for "self extinguishing" soon. For the keen hacker: For inspiration on sensible home automation perhaps trust "The guy with the Swiss accent", Andreas Spiess on YouTube.

Hope that helps

Garry

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what is the smoke alarm?
    Do you have it configured to power everything off it's activated?

air wrote: »
    Out of interest, what is the smoke alarm?
    Do you have it configured to power everything off it's activated?

Bog-stock (I think from Woodies DIY) smoke alarm. I have several ESP8266 micro controllers about the house for some automation, one example HERE where my garden shed connects as a new zone on my home alarm system over WiFi. These smoke alarms use the same control IC in most cases and have a dedicated pin to connect to a fire alarm panel for those installations where they are hard wired. I have a simple circuit on mine that uses this signal and a transistor to power up a circuit containing the ESP8266 only when the alarm is triggered. This setup means that the standard 9V battery powers the WiFi but only when the alarm sounds so battery life is normal. There is a very simple script on the ESP8266 (A Wemos D1 Mini) which upon power-up does the following:
    • Connect to a static IP address over WiFi
    • Connects to Pushbullet's API using https and pushes a message
    • Repeats the push every 20 seconds until silenced

I have no controls hooked up to this, it is only a means to know that there is a problem looming out of site in the attic area (one hopes never for real :eek:)

Hope this helps

Garry

Thanks Garry, I didn't realise most of the cheapos had an alarm panel output, that makes life easier, I'll do some poking about.
    I will configure something similar for a dehumidifier in order to switch it off if it ever emits any smoke!
    Cheers.

air wrote: »
    ... I'll do some poking about... if it ever emits any smoke!
    Cheers.

I found This Datasheet and just tried pin 7 on the smoke alarm control IC, bingo. I use a TIP41C (100v, 6A) transistor which is a massive over kill, a 2N2222 would do to power up a LM1117 LDO DC-DC regulator. This is what supplies (cant remember exactly!) either 3.3V or 5V to the micro controller which does the rest.

Hope this points you in the right direction

Garry

GryKyo wrote:
    Hope that helps

It does, John Ward give them a good go all the same.

I've 4 of them and I don't use them for anything. I flashed one to get it into my smartThings hub.

Is like a 16amp unit.

They are good but if kit.

I've no issues with up time onto the router. But I dont use them as much as you.

Also I've a couple of the ones with the rf control. I tried to pair it with lightwaverf, sane frequency but it didn't work

I've a few other 433 MHz items to try

One or two folks have questioned the security of the Sonoff app. I guess on the basis that it has access through your router/firewall and takes the WiFi creds off your phone or tablet during setup?
    I have not however seen any vulnerabilities described and the process of passing your WiFi credentials happens when your phone is connected directly to the Sonoff module while the module is an "access point". It then restarts in "station" or "client" mode and connects to your WiFi. This would suggest to me that the creds are not passed to the module via a server in China during setup and I guess if it is well designed the Sonoff module need only establish some sort of secure key during the setup? That said how this stuff actually works is above my pay grade!

I bought a box of them for my own use and to sell on. I even figured my kid might try to move some at a car boot sale and get a taste for enterprise and business but few ordinary non-technical people seem interested. I have given a couple to friends, one in an extension lead (yes, the earth passes through the Sonoff case!) and she uses it on an electric blanket. She was for ever waking up 3/4 cooked at 4:00am with the blanket turned on, a simple rule in the timer schedule fixed that.

An other use I have for these is re-booting your home router. These can benefit from a re-start from time to time and the Sonoff is ideal. Again properly installed in a short extension just program the Sonoff to turn off for 1 minute at 4:30am every Monday morning for example. The time schedule is stored locally in the module so the relay will go off and then back on again once the module itself is still plugged in, QED!

Garry

GryKyo wrote:
    An other use I have for these is re-booting your home router. These can benefit from a re-start from time to time and the Sonoff is ideal. Again properly installed in a short extension just program the Sonoff to turn off for 1 minute at 4:30am every Monday morning for example!

Will it turn back on, I assume that's why you have an off on sequence, I assume wifi drops out when the router is off but the internal timer is local in the unit

There's no access to the unit when it's off

It's a small point, when the unit is completely powered off or unplugged there's no cloud platform where you can change the settings on it like you can with lightwaverf or smartThings so no sync when it's back online etc

Sharing units us fantastic though

Will it turn back on..?

Yeah, that is how it works with the schedule stored locally in the switch. I tried this and while the switch was in the middle of a scheduled switch off for 1 minute I pulled the WiFi down and the switch still followed the schedule and came back on. Handy for doing this restart job.

Hope this helps

Garry

• Advertisement

Ikea have ceiling roses cw fkex and an E27 lamp holder for 3 euro.

The rose itself is large enough to hold the Sonoff

Advertisement