Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you halt the spread of Burmese Pythons in the US?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19252080
    The biggest Burmese python ever caught in Florida's wild has been captured in the Everglades, US scientists say.

The snake measuring 17ft 7in (5.18m) and weighing 164lb (74kg) was found in Everglades National Park, the University of Florida announced.

The python - now dead - was pregnant with 87 eggs, also believed to be a record.
    After scientific investigation, the snake will be exhibited at the museum on the University of Florida campus for five years before being returned to the Everglades National Park.
    what returned :confused:
    In 2009, another Burmese python named Delilah, measuring 18ft and weighing more than 400lb, was seized by Florida wildlife officials after it was found that its cage at a home near Lake Apopka was unsuitable.
    181Kg in Euros :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

only conjecture but the record 87 egg count might be indicative of higher egg counts becoming norm in Florida which would explain the seemingly fast spread last few years.. we could be lookin at a highly successful breeder with no natural enemies getting naturally bigger at a younger age eating bigger prey and spreading as that prey source diminishes... basically eating its way across America like an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet on Mary's st !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

How about engineering some sort of pathogen like a virus or whatever that specifically targets that blood line of the species. Make it with a lethal time that is linger than the animals breeding cycle to ensure transmission is ensured. You could also spread the virus over wide areas using aircraft.A bit like myxamatosis was used to kill off rabbits in Austrailia in the 50's but new biotech these days would eneable us to engineer a far more deadly pathogen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think a bounty wouldn't be a bad way to go. If you financially encourage people to hunt and kill them it probably wouldn't be long bringing the numbers down.

Worked for Cromwell and the Irish wolf population :(

How about engineering some sort of pathogen like a virus or whatever that specifically targets that blood line of the species. Make it with a lethal time that is linger than the animals breeding cycle to ensure transmission is ensured. You could also spread the virus over wide areas using aircraft.A bit like myxamatosis was used to kill off rabbits in Austrailia in the 50's but new biotech these days would eneable us to engineer a far more deadly pathogen.

Yeah makes sense logically but I don't know... something like that would have to be right first time and well we're not always great at first time : )

See something like that could prove relatively cheap compared to other routes and IF they could prove that the pathogen only affected reptiles, snakes and specifically pythons then cool, grand do it...but if the pathogen had any chance of changing once out there in the ecosystem things could get hairy.

Here's the classic Cane Toad example/story - quite interesting, scary but interesting.
    Native to Central and South America, Cane toads were introduced to Australia from Hawaii in June 1935 by the Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations in an attempt to control the native cane beetle (Dermolepida albohirtum). These beetles are native to Australia and they are detrimental to sugar cane crops, which are a major source of income for Australia. Adult cane beetles eat the crop's leaves, but the main problem is the larvae, who feed on the roots. Adult cane beetles have a heavy exoskeleton and their eggs and larva are often buried underground, making them difficult to exterminate. Furthermore, conventional methods of pest control, such as pesticide use, would eradicate harmless species of insects as well, making it an inadequate method.[5]
    The cane toads bred immediately in captivity, and by August 1935 more than 102 young toads were released in areas around Cairns, Gordonvale and Innisfail in northern Queensland. More toads were released around Ingham, Ayr, Mackay and Bundaberg. Releases were temporarily limited because of environmental concerns but resumed in other areas after September 1936. Since their release, toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity.[6] Unfortunately, the introduction of the toads has not only caused large environmental detriment, but there is also no evidence that they have had an impact on the cane beetles they were introduced to predate. The toads have steadily expanded their range through Queensland, reaching the border with New South Wales in 1978 and the Northern Territory in 1984. The toads on the western frontier of their advance have evolved larger legs;[7] this is thought to be related to their ability to travel farther.

So we have a history of introducing one thing to get rid of another thing and then creating a bigger problem as a result.. so although the biotech answer might seem the way to go - it would need so much testing which could never really prove its safety that most likely some group or other would prevent its use and slow its development past a threshold point of no return for Burm spread which is probably within the next 5 years if they're talking 100,000 already!!... I saw a doc on it that said a team of about 5 guys a few quad bikes, a few boats and a helicopter only caught bout 30 snakes in the whole year even though they knew they were out there... they couldn't trap them effectively, track them effectively or get to them effectively yet their supposed prey numbers keep dropping as per sightings data - some species are even feared disappeared entirely from the local habitats which is just mad. They know that a large Burm will take anything up to and including 4 foot American crocs or Alligators, adult white tail deer, large fowl, larghe water birds and even fears of them hunting the Florida Panther which I assume is rare as hens teeth so that's not good.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think a bounty wouldn't be a bad way to go. If you financially encourage people to hunt and kill them it probably wouldn't be long bringing the numbers down.

Worked for Cromwell and the Irish wolf population :(

We had Wolves back in time of Cromwell? and it his fault they're gone?
    what an asshole... imagine wild wolves here... how brilliant would that be.
    I'd love the little fear in the back of my mind as I'm jogging around Tick Knock that I could be being hunted without knowing... certainly improve the fitness anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We had Wolves back in time of Cromwell? and it his fault they're gone?
    what an asshole... imagine wild wolves here... how brilliant would that be.
    I'd love the little fear in the back of my mind as I'm jogging around Tick Knock that I could be being hunted without knowing... certainly improve the fitness anyway.

:D would certainly keep the impetus up for maintaining the old cardio. Supposedly Cromwell did put a bounty on wolves here though, they didn't go extinct until the mid to late 1700s as far as I know. I think the cutting down of our trees might have been just as big a factor as hunting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Unfortunately you could be as fit as a fiddle and never be able to out run them
    But yeah cromwell started the bounty on their head
    1786 was last known wolf to be killed and with the way of their territories and Ireland's ever grown population and building they would've definately been wiped out one way or the other
    Imagine if they were in Ireland tho Among the great Irish elk

Back on topic how bout a species of gorilla that thrives on snake meat and let them loose and then when they are overthrown with gorilla make the gorillas work on construction or accountancy
    May aswell the world is fcuked as it is can't make it worse
    Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Unfortunately you could be as fit as a fiddle and never be able to out run them
    But yeah cromwell started the bounty on their head
    1786 was last known wolf to be killed and with the way of their territories and Ireland's ever grown population and building they would've definately been wiped out one way or the other
    Imagine if they were in Ireland tho Among the great Irish elk

Back on topic how bout a species of gorilla that thrives on snake meat and let them loose and then when they are overthrown with gorilla make the gorillas work on construction or accountancy
    May aswell the world is fcuked as it is can't make it worse
    Lol

thorough explanation of invasive species control

• Advertisement

very hard to hunt them they stay undergrowth and only move at all at night.
    it would have to be some sort of trap
    they lay a clutch of eggs in springtime
    What about something from asia that eats their eggs or their new borns? LOL what could go wrong

just reading wiki their wild populations are a threatened species in Asia assuming that correct
    hunted for the leather trade and folk medicines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

What about something that eats their eggs?

Introducing yet another exotic species to control an already present one hasn´t yielded good results in the past. Consider Cane toads in Australia, or mongoose in the Caribbean.

now you're talki but would have to be spread all over the Everglades i.e. be rampant everywhere AND would only eat Burm eggs and not everything else eggs... think rats from ships killed off a few things in New Zealand by eatin their eggs too.

The Cane toad thing is mad... 200,000,000 of them now.... eating loads of stuff and being eaten and therefore killing loads of stuff.. heard that even if a dog drinks out of a dish that a Cane toad has previously sat in in your garden that the dog dies after drinking just once!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

The Cane toad thing is mad... 200,000,000 of them now.... eating loads of stuff and being eaten and therefore killing loads of stuff.. heard that even if a dog drinks out of a dish that a Cane toad has previously sat in in your garden that the dog dies after drinking just once!

Seems that freshwater crocs are dying on great numbers from eating the toads. Salties don´t seem to mind...

scratch the egg plan
    http://whozoo.org/students/stamoo/pythonhtml.html
    [SIZE=-1]Burmese pythons breed early in the spring months. The females lay 12-100 eggs in March or April. After they lay the eggs, they gather them all together and coil around them to incubate them. They will lay coiled around the eggs until they hatch. "The female python is the only snake that can raise its own body temperature". While they are keeping the eggs warm, the muscles will tremble and these movements help the female to increase the temperature around the eggs. They will never leave the eggs to eat. Once the Care hatched, they must learn to exist alone and fend for themselves.[/SIZE]

It would have to be something that hunts the [SIZE=-1]baby pythons?

What if anything besides man is controlling there numbers in Asia?
    What about bringing in more Asians to florida? lol
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

scratch the egg plan
    http://whozoo.org/students/stamoo/pythonhtml.html

It would have to be something that hunts the [SIZE=-1]baby pythons?

What if anything besides man is controlling there numbers in Asia?
    [/SIZE]

King cobras, mongoose, birds of prey...

But like I said, introducing another exotic to control an already present one cannot be a good idea. :S Anything that will eat baby pythons will also eat baby gators, native snakes, birds and mammals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I've eatin snake and it's not bad
    Give me 5 million and il eat my way through Florida with pythons

I have feeling man will prevail in this battle.

What about
    judas snakes
    "Judas snakes" are telemetered pythons that lead researchers to other pythons, which are then captured and euthanized. In the 2006 breeding season, three snakes (one female and two males) were found in association with 15 "new" pythons, and in 2007, two male pythons led to 10 additional snakes. Of the 25 snakes discovered by this method in two years, 19 were captured and removed, and the other six escaped before capture was possible. Following a telemetered female also led to the discovery of the first nest, which confirmed the existence of a breeding population in ENP.

pheromones traps or dogs packs
    The PSST is investigating other innovative strategies to locate and remove pythons, such as isolating the chemical cues (pheromones) that pythons use to attract each other during the breeding season. Once identified, pheromones can potentially be used to lure pythons into traps. Trained dogs also are being evaluated for their effectiveness at sniffing out snakes.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw286

just reading wiki their wild populations are a threatened species in Asia assuming that correct
    hunted for the leather trade and folk medicines
    Hire some Asians ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Hire some Asians ?

Or get Kim Khardashian or someone to capture one and turn it into a handbag and pair of heels, watch all the mindless dopes get a net on a stick and wander into the everglades.

As I type, this could solve the problem of the populations of both pythons and mindless people.

Advertisement