Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Skeptical Environmentalist on Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont know why you are all taking time to argue with someone who believes that they're ( dont know who 'they' are) using commercial aircraft to spray toxins over cities...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194839

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭casey212

fits wrote: »
    I dont know why you are all taking time to argue with someone who believes that they're ( dont know who 'they' are) using commercial aircraft to spray toxins over cities...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194839

Don't digress. That post was shut down because he could not refute my argument.

I linked to that post in order to show that you believe in some stuff that most people would find far-fetched.

I linked to that post in order to show that you believe in some stuff that most people would find far-fetched.

Just because something is outside the perceptions of the average person does not impinge on its truthfulness. Do you base your opinions on their relation to accepted thought, or are you opinions infact merely accepted thought in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

casey212 wrote: »
    You are still willing to take their funds?? What does that say for your moral viewpoint
    I was being facetious. You implied that scientists are afraid to speak out against their "masters", the government. I'm telling you that is nonsense - I would be amazed if any TD has ever read anything I have written.
    How could you possibly review all papers, don't be ridiculous.
    Of course it's ridiculous, but you are the one refuting the man-made global warming theory, when it seems that, based on this statement, that you have not considered all the scientific evidence.
    Referenced to whom.
    Whoever produced the work.
    I could write a paper and refernce my dog, whats wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Now you are being facetious. You can write a paper if you want, but if you're going to reference domesticated animals, or any other animals for that matter, you are unlikely to have it published in a peer-reviewed journal (or any other journal for that matter). You could try the Daily Mail...

Anyway, a scientific paper is far more than an "opinion".
    How do you know? Just because something is widely accepted does not make is correct.
    It's quite easy to prove. In fact, you could do it yourself if you have the time.
    There a countless cases of people being ejected from both the medical and scientific community of heresy.
    Give me one.

• Advertisement

You are taking things I have said out of context. The reference to my research not including all papers did not include the qualifying argument.

Don't twist my words, or split remarks into seperate disagreeing arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

We know that CO2 acts as an insulator. We know that more CO2 == more insulation

How do you know? Just because something is widely accepted does not make is correct.

I know because of my understanding of science.

Similarly, it is my understanding of mathematics that allows me to know that 1+1 = 2 (and yes, I have gone through the rigorous proof of that apparently simple statement).

It is not because something is widely accepted, no more than it was because someone in a white coat told it to me in an authoritative voice.

The beauty of science is that by its very nature it is falsifiable. If you disagree with an established scientific claim, then it should be trivial to show how it is false.

If you want to establish that CO2 is not, as science says it should be, an insulator, then the onus is on you to show how established scientific theory is incorrect. Alternately, you can abandon science, and make an emotional appeal about who we trust.

Is that what you're asking us to do...abandon science in favour of emotion? Or can you actually show that CO2 is not an insulator?
    So does Pollack only stand up for some truth?

Define truth.
    It was you who claimed he was standing up for it in the first place. It is not my place to define what you meant.
    Are you not even slightly perturbed that the argument you take is 100% in agreement with the stance taken by Big Oil and related industries?

I assume you have solar panels that provide electricity and ride a bicycle.
    Very glib...but I notice that you're not answering the question.

Lets not even go into the fact that your portrayal of government being a driving force behind all of this is almost entirely at odds with the actions of (say) the American government, who have spent the last 7 years denying global warming occurs, then accepting it occurs but refusing to accept its man-made (a bit like you). Lets ignore that they've suppressed reports and tried to gag scientists to prevent them publically supporting the theory of human-drive global warming.

You argued that research is ultimately government funded, which makes it fundamentally dodgy. Pollack is "standing up for the truth" you say, and you make hints that people like him could lose his funding because they don't toe the government line.

Of course, this would all be a lot stronger if hte US government actually accepted the scientific consensus regarding global warming, instead of being one of its most outspoken critics. They have suppressed reports which support the idea that human-driven CO2 emissions are responsible. They have attempted to silence scientists from speaking in favour of the idea that human-driven CO2 emissions are responsible.

In the first 4 years of the Bush administration, they refused to accept that it was established that global warming was happening at all. In the second term, they've accepted that its happening, but dispute that its caused by CO2, and equally dispute any suggestion that man-made emissions have caused CO2 levels to rise.

So in effect, you want us to believe that the American government secretly support the very thing that the evidence says they have tried to suppress. Meanwhile, Big OIl, who make the same nature of argument as the current American Administration, should be trusted...apparently because our world is dependant on their products.

Who are the US you refer too.
    Those reading your arguments, of which I am one. Hence "us" rather than "me".
    There a countless cases of people being ejected from both the medical and scientific community of heresy.
    Can you tell us who they were, or establish that their "heresy" was truth as you claim with Pollack?

bonkey wrote: »
    I know because of my understanding of science.

Your understanding of science?? What research have you personally conducted into this matter, where do you get your facts/figures. All information used must be independent.

"Climate change will be considered a joke in five years time, meteorologist Augie Auer told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury Federated Farmers in Ashburton(New Zealand) this week. Man’s contribution to the greenhouse gases was so small we couldn’t change the climate if we tried, he maintained. “We’re all going to survive this. It’s all going to be a joke in five years,” he said. A combination of misinterpreted and misguided science, media hype, and political spin had created the current hysteria and it was time to put a stop to it"

You are taking things I have said out of context.
    No I have not. You said:

"I can assure you none of my opinions are formulated without extensive research into all areas of the specific topic."

This would imply that you have read, in detail, several scientific papers on the subject. Given that you have dismissed man-made global warming as a hoax, then, as bonkey says, you should have no trouble picking holes in the data presented in said papers.

djpbarry wrote: »
    No I have not. You said:

"I can assure you none of my opinions are formulated without extensive research into all areas of the specific topic."

This would imply that you have read, in detail, several scientific papers on the subject. Given that you have dismissed man-made global warming as a hoax, then, as bonkey says, you should have no trouble picking holes in the data presented in said papers.

You are drawing flawed assumptions, where in the statement is it mentioned that I had read all published papers on global warming?? Also your original reference was not to the quote above, rather a seperate quote altogeather.

• Advertisement

All information used must be independent......

....... told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury Federated Farmers in Ashburton(New Zealand) this week.

You're funny :D

You are drawing flawed assumptions, where in the statement is it mentioned that I had read all published papers on global warming??
    I didn't say "all", I said "several", which you ought to have if you have conducted "extensive" research into "all areas" of the topic that is global warming.

You're funny :D

I don't get your point. How does this affect his original data?

I didn't say "all", I said "several", which you ought to have if you have conducted "extensive" research into "all areas" of the topic that is global warming.

You are running around in circles here, arguing a point created by yourself. Where have I mentioned the number of papers I have researched??

You are running around in circles here, arguing a point created by yourself. Where have I mentioned the number of papers I have researched??
    So you have not considered any scientific papers in your "extensive research"?

You're basically accusing all scientists of being party to some wider government/UN agenda to bring about this hoax, and to contradict it... you cite some speaker who spoke at a farmers conference in New Zealand???

I'm sure that since you're so well read on the whole issue... that you know that agriculture is responsible for about 30% of greenhouse gas emissions... and therefore some parochial farmers conference in New Zealand cant really be considered an independent or unbiased source of information.

Your understanding of science??

Do you have a problem with that idea?
    What research have you personally conducted into this matter, where do you get your facts/figures. All information used must be independent.

And once again, casey212 attacks science by abandoning the scientific method.

You are taking the stance that science is wrong. You have offered no reason, other than an appeal to distrust. You have, interestingly, offered no reason why you should be trusted.

You have certainly offered no reason why science is wrong. YOu insist that it is, question why we should trust it, but cannot offer a single scientific explanation to back up your theory.

I have no intention of going into detail regarding my scientific knowledge when your very question makes it clear that you are dealing with this on a scientific level.

"Climate change will be considered a joke in five years time, meteorologist Augie Auer told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury Federated Farmers in Ashburton(New Zealand) this week. Man’s contribution to the greenhouse gases was so small we couldn’t change the climate if we tried, he maintained. “We’re all going to survive this. It’s all going to be a joke in five years,” he said. A combination of misinterpreted and misguided science, media hype, and political spin had created the current hysteria and it was time to put a stop to it"

I note that this opinion supports the notion of greenhouse gases. What do you think they may be, given that dismiss the very idea that CO2 plays such a role?

So you have not considered any scientific papers in your "extensive research"?

What makes you say that. Go back through the points stated. You cannot break statements down when and where you choose.

I'm getting a headache.

What makes you say that. Go back through the points stated. You cannot break statements down when and when you choose.
    I'm going to make this really simple:

How many peer-reviewed, scientific papers have you read on the subject of global warming?
    I'm getting a headache.
    I'm way past headaches...

• Advertisement

You're basically accusing all scientists of being party to some wider government/UN agenda to bring about this hoax, and to contradict it... you cite some speaker who spoke at a farmers conference in New Zealand???

I'm sure that since you're so well read on the whole issue... that you know that agriculture is responsible for about 30% of greenhouse gas emissions... and therefore some parochial farmers conference in New Zealand cant really be considered an independent or unbiased source of information.

What is the basis of your beliefs on the issue?? Or like the others do you believe what is widely promoted.

What is the basis of your beliefs on the issue??

I'll tell you what they're not based on.... the need to find some global conspiracy in everything from jet trails to scientific research. :D

bonkey wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with that idea?

And once again, casey212 attacks science by abandoning the scientific method.

I am questioning your stance on this issue. You refer to science yet you cannot provide your own independent source, or any other for that matter.

I'll tell you what they're not based on.... the need to find some global conspiracy in everything from jet trails to scientific research. :D

I told you before, don't digress into side issues. I am dealing with you head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

I'm getting a headache.

I agree. This guy is a dingbat. It's like arguing with a drunk. What's the point?

I am dealing with you head on.

Well whoopy doo!

You refer to science yet you cannot provide your own independent source, or any other for that matter.

Can you clear up where the disagreement is here.

Do you :

a) disagree that science even claims that CO2 is an insulator,
    b) agree that science claims CO2 is an insulator, but disagree with science, because you believe CO2 is not an insulator.

If its the former, I'll be more than happy to supply you with references to improve your scientific knowledge.

If its the latter, then we both agree that science makes the claim that CO2 acts as an insulator. What we disagree on is whether or not that estabilshed scientific theory is correct in this regard. In this case, I need supply no reference until you offer a credible, scientific challenge to the established theory....unless you believe we should abandon the scientific method when dealing with scientific issues.

You people are indoctrinated and house trained.

You people are indoctrinated and house trained.

look in the mirror honey ;)

• Advertisement

octo wrote: »
    I agree. This guy is a dingbat. It's like arguing with a drunk. What's the point?

Who is the late comer?

Advertisement