Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Global warming threatens US security"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

probe wrote:
    A glimmer of hope (that the message will ultimately get through to the WH)?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/15/warming.military.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

.probe

I read that article as an argument favouring increased military expenditure to secure scarce supplies rather than one favouring engaging in any planet saving measures.

I suspect GWB would interpret it that way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

The basic issue here is the availability of drinking water for human consumption and food production in a changed climate environment.

It will hit the US as well as the Middle East, and other parts of the world.

What military action/solution do you think they have in mind?

Nuke the entire population of the Middle Eastern oil producing areas, so there will be no demand for drinking water? So that the US can continue to drive SUVs that consume 25 to 30 l/100km - Irish style?

Perhaps you should read the article a second time? I even wonder why someone who purports to have an interest in green issues (assumption based on your viewing this topic) bothers to post such rubbish?

Aside from reducing greenhouse gas emissions, the solutions here lie in green energy based water desalination technologies to provide drinking and irrigation water. Not dumb military action. I suspect that the authors of this report are just as pissed off with dumb dysfunctional anglo saxon politicians demanding military solutions to pull rabbits out of the hat to ensure the re-election of their political "leadership", and are simply doing their bit to try and prevent the next phase of this brain dead stupidity.

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

probe wrote:
    I even wonder why someone who purports to have an interest in green issues (assumption based on your viewing this topic) bothers to post such rubbish?

Wow! That's quite rude. But I'm not going to be put off trying to be green by rudeness :)

Anyway, much of the article is about how there WILL be resource wars.
    The report says that in the next 30 to 40 years there will be wars over water, increased hunger instability from worsening disease and rising sea levels and global warming-induced refugees. "The chaos that results can be an incubator of civil strife, genocide and the growth of terrorism," the 35-page report predicts.
    "We're going to have a war over water," Root said. "There's just not going to be enough water around for us to have for us to need to live with and to provide for the natural environment."

The Generals may be arguing for action to mitigate the problem but quite clearly are telling the Government to be prepared for military action.

Advertisement