Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you realy green.

Options
  • 06-01-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I notice two type of visitors the green forums.
    Type 1. The truly green.
    Type 2. Those that are only interested in saving money short term.
    Wake up. Global Warming is here and if we dont start taking the enviroment seriously soon, we will be spending money keeping our houses cool in the winter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

What do you define as "truly green"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

2 stroke wrote:
    Type 1. The truly green.
    Wake up. Global Warming is here and if we dont start taking the enviroment seriously soon, we will be spending money keeping our houses cool in the winter.
    Cool. So how much Sunflower oil does it take to power your internet connection? .

Seriously though, if there are people who are interested enough to visit a forum to save money AND it perhaps may improve the environment, how bad is that?.
    Personally, if someone takes a smidgeon of effort, who in taking that effort has had a net effect of making a positive impact on the Environment, no matter how small, then that effort was worthwhile. If they learn something that they put to good use in the future, same applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

2 stroke wrote:
    Type 1. The truly green.

If you think we can save the planet without considering economics then you're going to be disappointed. Unless you seriously think you can turn the whole world to your way of thinking.

The 'Type 1s' should take advantage of the 'Type 2s' by offering them green solutions that save them money. We can also benefit from what I'll call 'Type 3s' - those who'll invest in green related R&D if they think they might turn a profit from it.

Rampant capitalism is the only achievable way to save the world from the effects of rampant capitalism :) Anything else is dreaming and of no practical use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The above comment was actualy posted by a friend of mine who had spent some time reading posts saved to my hard drive, but it was posted with my permision and I am sure she will look in to see what stirs.
    Her point realy is there are a number of people that are constantly nocking green ideas purely on pay back time. Others that are trying to avoid bin charges but contaminating recycling centers with raw meat wrappers and paint and aerosol cans.
    And this computer is powered from a battery bank of old batteries charged by 5 alternators running on a opel engine drinking biofuel which is supplementing my heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

So what does your Friend define as being "truly green"?.

• Advertisement

Blacky, I Must ask her when I see her again. She is currently using up quite a quantity of aviation fuel.

The 'Type 1s' should take advantage of the 'Type 2s' by offering them green solutions that save them money. We can also benefit from what I'll call 'Type 3s' - those who'll invest in green related R&D if they think they might turn a profit from it.
    Sarsfield I think you are actualy on to something. Many of those selling green solutions are only interested in greenbacks. as a result we have missold heat pumps all over this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

If we really want to do something for the environment long term then maybe Homo sapiens should stop reproducing itself so much, as it is the biggets poluter on earth.................................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

being "really green" in a consumer society might be nice for you on personal level, but in the greater scheme of things will not change anything. for any real change to occur there will need to be a top down solution which will only be accepted by the general public after a crises has occured. In the mean time saving money or futute proofing my house, career etc are the only options that make sense to me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Between white and black there is a million shades of grey. The same could be said of greeness. My calling cry would be "do what you can, when you can, regardless of what drives you to greeness" From a caotic point of view every little bit does help, and must be seen as a positive action. some peoples journeys are longer than others, 95% of people want to do the right think for themselves and their familys and their country.

Another thing I've learnt is that you can only preach to the converted, so don't preach or lecture, only encourage and assist and inform when asked (short replys only.)

• Advertisement

If we really want to do something for the environment long term then maybe Homo sapiens should stop reproducing itself so much, as it is the biggets poluter on earth
    Wouldn't that just create a bigger pile of condoms?
    By the way is there any green way of getting rid of comdoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

if everybody did a little bit things would improve, but and there is always a but, money makes the world go round. if people want to install WPB for the savings they have been missold as capital cost is to high to make any saving in the short term. approx 15years to make any dent in the inital outlay. solar is good as fuel is free (unless we get a solar tax) we should be concertrating on cars people drive everywhere they buy houses in the best neighborhoods close to schools and shops then drive there:rolleyes: in the merc bmw and 4x4's gas gusslers then they bring their kids to training rugby swimming to get them to execise :confused:

My coment about missold heatpumps refers to the lack of understanding many salespeople have of systems they sell, although I recon they know how much profit/ commision they earn per €1000.
    These systems can work if sized correctly, installed properly and are operated correctly by the customer. However any I know of are running skyhigh ESB bills and will never reach payback.

2 stroke wrote:
    Wouldn't that just create a bigger pile of condoms?
    By the way is there any green way of getting rid of comdoms?

short circuit the wiring.................no need for condoms. Quick and painless;)

Quick and painless
    For who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

mjffey wrote:
    short circuit the wiring.................no need for condoms. Quick and painless;)

Snip, slip, and Bob's your auntie :eek: No thanks!

A very simplesolution to the condom question has been around for years..

eatible comdoms!

:eek: :D;)

Sarsfield wrote:
    Snip, slip, and Bob's your auntie :eek: No thanks!
    We are really of the subject but anyway...... Any real man will tell you it's painless, or do you rather have women taking hormons for the rest of their lives just because you're a coward? ;)

Nice one Oldie.
    Mj, I guess you are one of the fairer?sex. Anyway I plan to stay a real man. I'd rather give up women than send my bits for incineration.

Also of concern is where do all the hormones go? Down the lu, and off to sea? I have heard that this source of hormone pollution is causing problems in sealife, but can't remember the exact article.

Now that I've had 2 children, I am considering the snip. A friend of mine had it only after 8 children, and I understand that it is reversable anyway.

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote:
    Nice one Oldie.
    Mj, I guess you are one of the fairer?sex. Anyway I plan to stay a real man. I'd rather give up women than send my bits for incineration.

Yeh, with your attitute it might be better for woman if you make a u turn when you meet one, and by the way.. what makes a real man.....? Only those bits?????? Poor you.:)

Oldie, yes, there have been problems with these hormones. but the problem I am aware of is in humans in London where drinking water is drawn from the river, traces of female hormones in drinking water are being blamed for low sperm counts and male breasts.
    Mj, I stand by my last post, but I don't think that is all that makes a man a man. I ask though what makes a eunuch a eunuch. We might have to take this to another forum.

2 stroke wrote:
    Oldie, yes, there have been problems with these hormones. but the problem I am aware of is in humans in London where drinking water is drawn from the river, traces of female hormones in drinking water are being blamed for low sperm counts and male breasts.
    Mj, I stand by my last post, but I don't think that is all that makes a man a man. I ask though what makes a eunuch a eunuch. We might have to take this to another forum.

I told you already that we're way of topic.:D
    Last thing though: You're not getting an eunuch. It's not castration you know. You won't even see that it's done. I wouldn't know any male friend who hasn't done it.

Ok. That was it.

How green are you?

Typical woman, won't let me have the last word on subject.

How green am I? Trying to improve. got into it 2 years ago. I recycle as much as I can. I compost, I grow my own veg. House is well insulated and low energy bulbs ect. am experimenting with diy chp & solar panels biofuel ect. Plan to build a sun room from recycled building material.

Advertisement