Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish photographs for identification - ruins, kirks,hospital

Options
  • 24-04-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I would like to travel to Ireland and locate these ruins, churches and locations. I am told the photos may have historical value and/or be of interest to others. Please note they were taken 100 years ago +/- so the locations will look different today. Can anyone help by identifying the locations. Please go to Flickr.com/photos/jameshaycuthill/ many thanks.

The Irish family names which are likely associated are Meek, Campbell's at Ravenhill, Rev. James Clarke, possibly Cuthill, Connell, Lady Peel and maybe Moriarty. My Grandmother was Moyra Moriarty Meek Cuthill born near Belfast in 1886+/-, an educated nurse, musician and travel enthusiast. These are mostly her travel photos from 1910 approx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Hello,

I'm not of much help I'm afraid. Only one photgraph caught my eye. It's the second photo on the second page. It's Baronscourt in County Tyrone. It's the Duke of Abercorns house. The family name is Hamilton, if that's any help to you.

If your dates are right, then the Lady Peel in the photo, would be Emily Peel, daughter of the Marquess of Tweedale, and wife of Sir Robert Peel, who was Chief Secretary of Ireland for a few years.

That's all I have I'm afraid. Best of luck with the search.

P.S on the first page, I would bet that the photograph is of a roman catholic church rather than a kirk. I could be very wrong, but from my basic knowledge, kirks tend not to have steeples. It has the style of a catholic rather than church of ireland building. Many of the C of I chuches have a square tower rather than a steeple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 James Hay Cuthill

Many thanks, I'm confident of my dates within a year or at worst two and thus your Lady Peel information gives me a new avenue to pursue. I think that Emily Peel may have studied with Moyra and I'm told travelled to Canada with her. Having a real name rather then Lady Peel should really help. Experience tells me that these little clues often yield breakthroughs.

I think you are right about the churches. I should have known that myself.

Is your online name a Tolkien reference? Love his books.

Going to Google Baronscourt now. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

if you have names and dates there was a census in 1911 which you can search online. from that you can get their general location within that tmeframe that will narrow your search considerably

if you have names and dates there was a census in 1911 which you can search online. from that you can get their general location within that tmeframe that will narrow your search considerably
    Thanks Ken
    I think I have attempted this but unfortunately Moyra had left the family home by 1911 and I think was in Canada by then. I am told her brother was Sam Meek and I have no parents names. No Meek searches have yielded me anything. I'm not absolutely sure about the census, something in my head is saying I thought the records were destroyed in a fire. Do you have a link by any chance?
    Thanks for your help. James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Do you have a link by any chance?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

• Advertisement

Hello,

I'm not of much help I'm afraid. Only one photgraph caught my eye. It's the second photo on the second page. It's Baronscourt in County Tyrone. It's the Duke of Abercorns house. The family name is Hamilton, if that's any help to you.

If your dates are right, then the Lady Peel in the photo, would be Emily Peel, daughter of the Marquess of Tweedale, and wife of Sir Robert Peel, who was Chief Secretary of Ireland for a few years.

That's all I have I'm afraid. Best of luck with the search.

P.S on the first page, I would bet that the photograph is of a roman catholic church rather than a kirk. I could be very wrong, but from my basic knowledge, kirks tend not to have steeples. It has the style of a catholic rather than church of ireland building. Many of the C of I chuches have a square tower rather than a steeple.
    Turned out your identification of Baronscourt led to 5 other photos I have being identified also at Baronscourt but different buildings. Many thanks.

I'm thinking that Emily Peel may have been the mother of the Peel I'm searching for. Moyra was born in 1886 and Emily in 1824 as I recall, so it seems unlikely they were friends travelling together but the daughters would be approximately the correct age. Would they be referred to as "Lady" though? Any thoughts on where I could determine if Lady Peel studied nursing and/or music. I've found absolutely nothing on Lady Peel's 3 daughters, although lots on their son.

Excellent, thank you Cesar Microscopic Housetop.

Advertisement