Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prestel terminals - do you remember then + public domain photos

Options
  • 09-06-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

Do you remember Prestel terminals? Sth. similar to teletext or simple internet allowing two way communication using phone line? Who used this and what were your impressions?

Btw, does anyone saw somewhere any public domain photos of Prestel terminals? I need them and it's awfull to find any. There are many public domain photos of French Minitel (similar solution) but with Prestel it's so challenging...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ollie, a user on here, as well as Kerbdog know about these things.
    The former, coz he's French, the latter because someone gave him one to fiddle with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a Minitel terminal which came from a company who imported product from France, got it years ago and did test it to hear the question from my parents a few weeks later of 'who called France?' :D
    I think the UK Prestel system had higher resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭itguyinaction

I would be interested also to learn more. Concerning resolution I can only guess that either Prestel had lower resolution (as it was few years older) ether probably the same (as both systems were quite similar and limitations being result of using telephone lines were also similar).

Advertisement