Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjust radiator temp vs hot water temp

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering if someone can give me some pointers on adjusting the temperature of heating in the house vs water heating temp? My housemates are still putting on the heating constantly (in our already very warm, well-insulated house!) and if it has to be on I want to at least bring down the temperature a bit as the bills are ridiculous.

We have a dial thing on the wall and a digital display on the boiler unit and I'm not sure what either of them do exactly as this was never an issue before lockdown. I don't want to reduce the water heating temp tho, and don't know if reducing one affects the other.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

You should not adjust the water temperature (i.e. the temperature of the water being circulated around the radiators). The thing on the wall, I presume that is the room thermostat. That sets the air temperature the central heating is trying to achieve. If the boiler is turned on then it will continue to run as long at the room temperature is below what is set on the thermostat. Once the air temperature reaches the set point on the thermostat you'll hear the device 'click' and turn off the boiler. Heat has a huge lead and lag so typically a boiler will cycle on and off throughout the day.

Everyone is different, but around 21 degrees C is a good set point for a living room and around 18 degrees C for a bedroom.

Advertisement