Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste pipe repairs - is quote reasonable?

Options
  • 18-05-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Looking for some advice on whether a quote I've got sounds about right or not. It's from one of the bigger/ better known drains/waste firms around Dublin.

Bought an older 2 story house a year ago and started having rouble with the downstairs toilets and shower backing up after about 6 months. Got this crowd in to clear the drains and all's well for another couple of months. Happens again and called them back in, got CCTV and they identify a couple of problems:

First, we have two separate waste pipes/ exits from the house, one from kitchen and upstairs and one from the two down stairs bedrooms that runs from the back of the house (how we can still use the toilet and shower upstairs!). The one from the downstairs toilets is giving problems is because the pipe is crushed before it gets to the main line and it seems to have happened on the back neighbours property.

Also, the second waste pipe goes from the side of the house around the back. They identified an open and displaced joint that needs to be fixed but this pipe is flowing through to the main line. They think they may also be able to join the other waste pipe to this and avoid the crushed pipe which is apparently pretty deep. Would have to dig to be sure as it would depend on relative levels of the pipes and then they'd put in a manhole.

Upshot of all this is they reckon it will take about 3 days at 3,000 +VAT to make all the repairs and put in a manhole where the two pipes would meet.

Not particularly technical so the above may or may not be a good description! They guy that came round seemed to know what he was at and I'd rather get it done properly but just wanted to check if this seemed reasonable or not as its a fair amount of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Not exactly comparable, but I'll offer it anyway. Had to replace the subsurface drain pipework running along the gable wall of my parent's house (found a hole in the pipe and it had completely blocked and couldn't be freed). Man came in and dug up the pipework by hand (just below the surface), plumber replaced the pipework, including few tees and connectors, plus put in a 'rodding point' so that I could free it up more easily in future. No concrete works. Total cost €320.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bubbatj

Thanks youtheman, they do have to go down through concrete and like I said it does seem like the pipes go fairly deep. Does make me think I'd be better off getting a couple of quotes for the job. Probably too eager to get going after a couple of month of only one useable jacks in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get a few quotes anyway. Don't go with the first that passed your door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It depends on the groundwork. Sounds like a lot of digging to get to buried services and labour.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that in the original post, he thought it would be 2 people over 3 days to make the repairs and put it back as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats acces like to the area.
    what is the ground. soil, tarmac, concreete, patio etc

do you know where the issue is so you can dig accuratly.

There's a side entrance beside the house thats narrow enough, you can get a wheelie bin through but not much wider than that. There's two points where they'd have to dig and I'd say you could get it within a meter or so in the first spot but the other one is a bit less clear and may have to dig further to get the level right for the two pipes to be joined. Theres patio slabs over the first area and about a inch of concrete over the second (but its broken up in places).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Would you do the digging yourself.. You would get a better idea of whats needed and more clued in to ask the right questions.

whizbang wrote: »
    Would you do the digging yourself.. You would get a better idea of whats needed and more clued in to ask the right questions.

I could dig down a bit but not sure I’d have a clue what would need to be done once I get down to the pipes.

I think I’m allowed to ask for recommendations by PM so if anyone knows a plumber/ drainage company in Kildare/ West Dublin area that would be good let me know!

Advertisement