Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha, spotted what may be a super subtle Back to the Future nod in episode two; when
    in the 1950s scene while older Regina(?) digs the hole to bury the time machine, there are two lone pine trees sitting in shot. A callback to the Twin (later, One) Pine Mall from the 1980s film perhaps?
    :D

Are you Winden us up? :pac:

Though, thinking about it; Noah, going back to Adam... that could be ..
    the trees symbolize the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden
    "It's all connected." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. I had to watch the recap after watching the first episode (didn't help that I split up my watching the first episode with season 3 of Stranger Things in between :))

3.1: Alright, looks like .. well I'm not exactly sure. The
    Future feels fine. They've got drones and some kinda strange new light. Not unbelievable. Feels odd in that .. is the entire world gone except Winden? which itself was the centre of a nuclear catastrophe?

Not sure about
    Jonas wandering through the power plant with the geiger counter making so much noise
    after seeing Chernobyl

2.2: Looks like everyone is mostly
    upskilling to time traveller. I'd guess this season is going to show what each believes is going on, then separate plans forming up and then a cliff hanger to a more time-travel-plans-in-motion season 3. There's gotta be a big event though. Enough people have been hinting and there's the apocalypse we keep getting reminded of
    Slydice wrote: »
    3.1:

Well.. I guess I was still recovering from my Stranger Things binge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Binged on season 2 today. It's a fairly big mind f**k alright. Season one is different class imo.

I'm going to revisit it again soon as it's one that gets better on a few viewings.

2.3: So some clarity from
    Claudia that there's a game going on and she and adam are part of it.

After that, the overall story still filling in for me

• Advertisement

2.4: Again, filling in the gaps, getting people informed
    about the time travelling and then the reveal that Adam is Jonas. I'd been wondering.
    Linking the two never occured to me though

2.5: Well, that's
    Ulrich gone mad!

For the ending,
    It's some sacrifice for Jonas/Adam to make.. but I'm not sure it'll work with this version of time travel.

It looks to be
    creating a paradox. Like:
    1. They get created because of some origin event.
    2. They stop the origin event.
    3. They don't get created.
    4. Restart loop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Absolute mindfúck of a show but love it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished episode 4, and it definitely feels like events are ramping up and characters overtly engaging with the premise. Yet even then, it's a testament to the shows strength: sometimes, in other series, when characters realise the situation they find themselves in, all the mystery dissolves from the story, delicately crafted tension disappearing once threats, alliances and antagonists are recognised. Not so here; given how "timey wimey" the machine seems to be in its entirety, the meetings of episode 4 just adds to the sense of ... "ominous complexity" that seeps through the show's pores.

The final scene didn't come as quite a big shock as perhaps the script intended, I had wondered and guessed correctly, but again it's a sign of Dark's smarts that pulling off a surprise like that doesn't diminish or cheapen the plotting, it only enriches.

3.6: So.. but.. I .. well
    that's me lost
    *hops* on the rollercoaster for the next few episodes!

• Advertisement

2.7: Right, I'm totally lost. Well.. except for a guess that
    Hannah is gonna shack up with Egon
    Slydice wrote: »

Dammit, not again! Maybe next time around I'll get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I enjoyed S2 as much as 1, but it nearly lost me in the middle with the convolutions it did to avoid actually explaining anything. At one point someone said Noah was killing all the boys and the other person didn't ask why. Claudia went around saying sorry to everyone and once again nobody asked why.

Still good stuff though.

Finished! Good season!
    Season 3! Give! Give! When? Want!

2.8: Now that's an ending! So many intertwining stories from all over the place! So messed up! So much
    more to explore! What's even going on?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Rewatching season 2 again, this is like a album, gets better on repeated viewing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just finished Season 1 !!!

Wow ... This helped recap it for me before starting S2 later
    https://www.bustle.com/p/the-dark-season-1-recap-you-need-before-the-ultra-confusing-netflix-show-returns-18015644

This is a proper quality show, Stranger Things is a poor poor version of this....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stranger Things and Dark are nothing alike, beyond the occasional 80s setting of the latter. I don't get why this comparison keeps popping up every now and again. One is a (sometimes subverted) homage to 80s filmmaking and nostalgia, the other an intense time-travel thriller, with quintessentially German philosophising.

If Dark shares any genetics, it's more akin to Twin Peaks and the whole "small town whose residents harbour dark secrets"line of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

Very good show, but that last part when
    Martha appeared from a different world ??? - so they are going alternative dimensions now ?
    I know its a far fetched show but that was a bit too much tbh.

Very good show, but that last part when
    Martha appeared from a different world ??? - so they are going alternative dimensions now ?
    I know its a far fetched show but that was a bit too much tbh.

Wait a minute. You were ok with time-travel, but not this ending? One is no more believable than the other. :D
    Actually, there is a logical line of thinking that
    time travel, if possible, can occur, but only as part of the many-worlds theory i.e. paradoxes of time travel are resolved through the many-worlds paradigm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm just going to leave this here.
    WARNING SECOND SEASON SPOILERS
    all over the place with this one....
    (just in case it still needs mentioning.... safe to be sorry....)

SECOND WARNING - don't watch this if you're trying to shut down for the night. It's a bit of a headwreck even by Dark standards

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wait a minute. You were ok with time-travel, but not this ending? One is no more believable than the other. :D
    Actually, there is a logical line of thinking that
    time travel, if possible, can occur, but only as part of the many-worlds theory i.e. paradoxes of time travel are resolved through the many-worlds paradigm

Problem is the different timelines then solves the paradoxes, it makes it too easy to explain away things.

I can see season 3 descending into a mess, hope I'm wrong tho...

• Advertisement

I can see season 3 descending into a mess, hope I'm wrong tho...
    Dark is based on a web series, so I'd say they have the storylines already sorted out. Probably using quantum computers to work everything out.:p

Finally got around to the last episode, and yowsers; how gloriously head-melting. An easy show to get completely lost in - but the important difference is that the script is fair; it's convoluted by design, but if you step back and follow the threads, the structure and shape is there. It all links up, unlike actual bad writing where the writers might make it up as they go along. The twist reveal that
    Elisabeth is her own grand-mother
    felt a little out of nowhere, but doubtless there were clues throughout seasons 1 & 2 I simply missed.

I guess given the emphasis on everything being inevitable meant that the only way the writers could possibly give themselves some narrative wriggle room was via that last moment; I would stop short of calling this show "Hard Sci-Fi", but it has often made enough nods towards real scientific concepts that the new inclusion of
    the many worlds theory
    didn't feel like cheating. Season 3 is obviously going to spend some time in
    the alternative universe(s), likely allowing characters otherwise stalled (eg, Ulrich) a chance to participate once more

Easily one of Netflix's best shows, if not one of the best & more underrated shows on TV, period.

It's also a palette cleanser: it's often easy to forget just how Americanised the TV content we consume has become, both tonally and in approach. Dark's mood and tone is so unmistakably German/European; there's no way you could transplant this story to an American setting without losing some of its essential essence, if that makes any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished season 3 - who knew that the lizard people were behind it all the time!

Skerries wrote: »
    just finished season 3 - who knew that the lizard people were behind it all the time!

My heart skipped a beat when I read those first few words, ya b*st*rd!:D
    (apparently it was co-written by David Icke:p).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Skerries wrote: »
    [IMG]https://ext ernal-preview.redd.it/TTvO0T-JAbI4UR8Kq1yVKiHx6rKiml-Cs2ZlQrD0Vzc.jpg?auto=webp&b17d15bb[/IMG]

Nuh uh. Not going there. No sirreee bob. Not even for a hint of anything. I'm going dark with Dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Looking forward to the final season but it is surely one of the most hard to follow series that I ever watched.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Looking forward to the final season but it is surely one of the most hard to follow series that I ever watched.

I imagine that after season 3, it will become even more complicated! :)

Del.Monte wrote: »

The mental gymnastics required is better than any mind-training game. It's great to be able to give oneself a mental pat on the back after being able to keep up. I'm half-way through my Masters in Darkology, in preparation for season 3. :p
    Definitely- along with The Expanse- one of my favourite sci-fi series ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Aneedoo

Not watch it yet goona watch and I will give my opinions and discussions about it thanks for recommendations

Advertisement