Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA counselling CIT

Options
  • 30-01-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I'm really interested in the BA in counselling and psychotherapy in CIT and would love to get feedback from past or current students of the course.
    Hope someone can help,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sergeyevitch

it really depends on what you're looking for. As I understand it the BA is accredited by IAHIP or IACP, which is good.

I did the 1st year of the course and I found it excessively humanistic and touchy-feely. I also found it frustrating that there was a lot of theory being bandied about without any indication of whether there was any research evidence supporting them - especially when I knew that there is not really much.

In addition, the head of the course took a very schoolteacher approach to the classes and as an adult I found that pretty inappropriate and insulting.

At the end of 1st year about half the class are culled and the same happens at the end of 2nd year.

I could go on but as is probably pretty obvious I was not a fan of the course. However that is only one view, and I know there are plenty people who have completed the course and really liked it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I also found it frustrating that there was a lot of theory being bandied about without any indication of whether there was any research evidence supporting them - especially when I knew that there is not really much.

If you want evidence, you'll like CBT - the only therapy that has been investigating and researching itself. Without evidence, all you have is a belief system.

But other therapies are beginning to see the light and are starting to do research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sergeyevitch

If you want evidence, you'll like CBT - the only therapy that has been investigating and researching itself. Without evidence, all you have is a belief system.

But other therapies are beginning to see the light and are starting to do research.

absolutely right! person-centred, gestalt etc have pretty much no basis in research but CBT does work in a lot of cases. Worth asking whether the CIT BA covers it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 123apple

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, humanistic is exactly what I am looking for as well as a course that is experiential with plenty of group process and an emphasis on personal therapy. Unfortunately i am not a fan of CBT and see that it only contains some elements of it later in the course. I am happy to take an integrative approach but my own interests lie mainly in the person-centred approach. Unfortuately I haven't seen that it is accredited with the iahip only the iacp. I would very much like to be accredited with the iahip - again the humanistic approach! I can see that you weren't a fan of the course, but I think probably for the very reasons that it would appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

absolutely right! person-centred, gestalt etc have pretty much no basis in research

I'm not sure that's entirely true, there have been several large scale studies which support the effectiveness of person centered therapy. Rogers himself documented much of his work. CBT can be just as effective initially, particularly for practical minded people, but its long term effectiveness is also called into question.. which is why i think fields like person centered CBT etc are starting to incorporate the best of both.

i certainly don't advocate one over the other, they all have meaningful applications, not every individual experiences the world the same way. im currently studying holistic counseling and psychotherapy in galway with ICPPD and have found it very interesting and beneficial. sorry i cant give you any info on the course in CIT but it's definitely a worth while field to study if you are interested in personal growth etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 milliemurphy

Hi dyer I was wondering if you could tell me how you got on with the holistic councelling and psychotherapy course...how are you using it now? I'm thinking of doing it as a means of extra income or even going down the councelling route and changing jobs but I don't want to spend money on another course and have no work at the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

123apple wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Funnily enough, humanistic is exactly what I am looking for as well as a course that is experiential with plenty of group process and an emphasis on personal therapy. Unfortunately i am not a fan of CBT and see that it only contains some elements of it later in the course. I am happy to take an integrative approach but my own interests lie mainly in the person-centred approach. Unfortuately I haven't seen that it is accredited with the iahip only the iacp. I would very much like to be accredited with the iahip - again the humanistic approach! I can see that you weren't a fan of the course, but I think probably for the very reasons that it would appeal to me.

IAHIP only accredit Master degrees now as I understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

absolutely right! person-centred, gestalt etc have pretty much no basis in research but CBT does work in a lot of cases. Worth asking whether the CIT BA covers it?

It's the common factors which account for most change in therapy, generally

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrWorf

"In addition, the head of the course took a very schoolteacher approach to the classes and as an adult I found that pretty inappropriate and insulting."

I am starting third year this year and over the last two years I have not hear one single word of criticism about the head of the course ever.
    He is the only lecturer I have encountered in my many years of study in different institutions to hold a class's interest every time for three hours and he has years of practical experience to draw upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

You do realise this thread is two and a half years old, MrWorf?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement