Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

route to clinical psychology

Options
  • 05-02-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm a 3rd year psychology student and I'm hoping to eventually get into clinical psychology, it seems to have the most demand and has many different area's of work so its the most appealing area of psychology for me. i've a relatively good pga, i think its almost 3.5 so far. From my understanding of clinical psychology, you need to have studied a masters program in a relevant subject. I'm hoping to get advice on what masters program to choose that will best enable me to eventually become a clinical psychologist.

The open university offer a 3 year masters in general psychology, this course involves 60 credits on brain and behavior and the same in understanding childrens development and learning. This does seem relevant to the clinical program but it doesn't include any research project which i understand is important.

The open university also offer a 3 year msc in psychology research methods, again this module doesn't require a dissertation and rather than a research masters its a taught masters on research methodology.

Trinity and University of Ulster offer a course in applied behavior analysis which are 2 year long courses and involve placement work which could give me experience in working with children with id.

Finally University of Ulster and nuig also have courses in health psychology that are 1 year long which would over lap with aspects of clinical psychology.

Sorry for such a long winded post but if anyone has any information on any of these courses, or even in general about getting into clinical I'd appreciate it a lot.
    Thanks very much
    Tom

Comments

Advertisement