Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Lights Out' on an MMA career

Options
  • 14-08-2011 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

I know there is a UFC on versus 5 thread but I felt this deserved a thread of its own.

Chris Lytle is retiring from MMA after his upcoming fight to spend more time with his family. Good luck to him. I remember seeing himself and Marcus Davis fight in the point and it was a hell of a fight. Thanks for the memories.

http://mmaweekly.com/chris-lytle-retires-from-mma-dan-hardy-honored-to-be-his-last-opponent
    After 13 years of professional competition, UFC on Versus 5 main event fighter Chris Lytle is retiring from the UFC and mixed martial arts.

The fighter informed NBCSports.com of the news and MMAWeekly.com later confirmed the information through an independent source.

Lytle, who is still scheduled to face Dan Hardy at UFC on Versus 5: Hardy vs. Lytle in Milwaukee, has fought professionally since 1998 and cites feeling guilty for being away from his children as one of the reasons why he is calling it a career.

“I feel like I’m not being the type of dad I want to,” Lytle told NBCSports.com. “I got four kids and lots of time I feel just an immense sense of guilt for not being there in times when I should.”

Dan Hardy found out about Lytle’s intention to retire straight from his opponent at the weigh-ins. The British fighter was surprised Lytle informed him of the plans to call it a career, but feels honored to be his last opponent.

“Obviously, he wants to go out with a good, hard fight instead of his last one where he really didn’t get to engage much,” Hardy told MMAWeekly.com on Saturday night. “And what he said to me at the weigh-ins, he said, ‘this is my last one, so let’s make it a good one.’ And I said, ‘it will be a good one… we’ll have a great fight.

“He wants to go out on a good fight and I’m honored that he’s picked me to do it.”

Hardy sees the main event for UFC on Versus 5 as an opportunity for both fighters to showcase their stand-up abilities. “The Outlaw” is known to stand and trade with fighters and feels Lytle will want that kind of fight.

Having a “Chris Lytle” kind of fight is the perfect way to close the book on a career.

“I think, more than anything, he wants to have a… ‘Chrs Lytle fight to finish his career,” Hardy explained. “And I think he knows that I don’t mind standing and trading punches with him and I don’t mind a fast-paced fight.

“I certainly think that he’ll come out with all guns blazing because of it and I think might make for a very great fight.”

Lytle will go into UFC on Versus 5 with a record of 30-18-5 and will surely look to end his career on a winning note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

A true legend of the sport. Very under rated fighter. He was hugely exciting and in a division rich with wrestlers his scraps will be greatly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Always found his fights entertaining and he seems like a sound bloke. 16 of his 18 career losses have been by decision (lots of split-decisions) and his 2 tkos have been by doctor stoppage. pretty impressive.
    Will Hardy be able to Knock him out in his final fight? Hope not, but if anyone can it'll be Hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Thank you Chris. I'm tearing up at the post fight interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Farewell to a great fighter, and impressive to see him do what GSP couldn't and tap out Hardy!

He also left with an extra $130k in bonus money and a new Harley courtesy of the event sponsors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Always found his fights entertaining and he seems like a sound bloke. 16 of his 18 career losses have been by decision (lots of split-decisions) and his 2 tkos have been by doctor stoppage. pretty impressive.
    Will Hardy be able to Knock him out in his final fight? Hope not, but if anyone can it'll be Hardy.
    Great way to go out with a win !!! And indeed could it be done to a nicer fella than mouthpiece Hardy :). Impressive stats, I think he also has got a few UFC KO of the night, submission of the night and maybe 2 fighter of the night awards also. We're lucky those of us who got to see him fight Marcus Davis in the Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

HellsAngel wrote: »
    We're lucky those of us who got to see him fight Marcus Davis in the Point.

Insane atmosphere in that one. The noise of the place singing "Fields of Athenry" during the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

HellsAngel wrote: »
    We're lucky those of us who got to see him fight Marcus Davis in the Point.

One of the main reasons i went was to watch Lytle fight. Been one of my favs since i saw him fight Lawlor way back in the day. Still one of my favourite fights, especially when he actually claps on the way down after Lawlor stiffs him.

Dude always seemed quite down to earth and passionate, very classy in his behaviour before and after fights.

Loved his style, just getting out and going for the W, 10 Fight Bonuses in 20 fights tells it's own story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was delighted to see him go out on a win, deserves all the praise he gets. Careers don't finish much better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It was a shame to see him go. Very hard not to like the guy as both a fighter and personality.

I remember cursing at Ebersole for beating him (whom I am now also a fan of) but I was delighted to see him go out with a bang against Hardy

Advertisement