Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

/dev/random/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ibuUF.jpg

5Vyc1.png
    I don't have a screenshot, but there was also a head with "Owen Harper" written on it (as well as Inara Serra - a character from Firefly) It wasn't as obvious as the Amelia Pond one though.

Gotta love new episodes of futurama though; new Who and new Futurama? Truly we live in a blessed age!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Doctor appears in Futurama again this week:

fmo3.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For your sewing needs:
    tardis_sewing_kit1.jpg
    tardis_sewing_kit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

convention.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

tumblr_llqkswPhXD1qdd8wro1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

?

http://www.tehsmarty.com/2011/08/machinimist-doctor-who-machinima-series.html

Give it a couple of minutes if it isn't making any sense. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

But what is with the Doctor's giant hand?

And why does he look like a cross between Rodney from Only Fools and Horses and the ".Okay :(" guy?

okay-meme-face-t10150.jpg

http://urban-bohemian.tumblr.com/post/8992939049/mirrored-model-of-tardis

tumblr_lpitlio1kf1qhbkduo1_500.jpg
    This is Mark Wallinger‘s “Time and Relative Dimensions in Space 2001″, a life-sized mirrored model of the TARDIS from “Doctor Who,” which at certain angles seems to blend into its environment. It was exhibited at The Hayward Gallery in February 2009.

Sharrow, this one's for you:

72_1313186198.jpg?1313527474
    When finished, it’ll have lights, sounds, and a key. The phone door will be white, and will open. And yes, you ARE bigger on the inside. (Petrichor Perfume not included).

http://www.mayfairemoon.com/gallery/image.php?page=1&gallery_id=11&image_id=72

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

sDfkU.jpg

staberind_01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ImageDoctorWhoCats082411-thumb-550x359-69247.jpg

Thought cats only had 9 lives... :p

6014762015_ee3d506945_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh this is very well done!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Combining two of my favourite things!

172964.jpg

• Advertisement

djVeH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just keep staring at the screen and everything will be okay!

Y9rqZ.gif

drwho-simpsonfied.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1314984799824

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

matthewsmith_grande.jpg

Sylvester McCoy gives the Stonehenge speech (starts about 40 seconds to a minute and a half in, depending on how much faffing about about it you want to see).

doctor-doom-doctor-who.jpg

The Doctor vs the Doctor, posted by the Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

You should really rehost images before posting them on a forum. Not only is it rather nasty to leach people's bandwidth but the image can disappear without warning as it has now.

That's not Eleven's theme! I'm rather disappointed now.

ríomhaire wrote: »
    That's not Eleven's theme! I'm rather disappointed now.

:) Little too much from the original back track at times, but still impressive enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Another Who T-Shirt, this time on Jinx.com

2788p_81c_1b.jpg

MkUmz.png

Rob Hull - in the Guinness Book of Records for owning the biggest Dalek collection:
    article-1316017088521-0DE2EEDA00000578-495040_636x380.jpg

ood-couple.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just got the sound track, have to say "I am the doctor" is one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard (even if a version of it is in almost every episode nowadays).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just got the sound track, have to say "I am the doctor" is one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard (even if a version of it is in almost every episode nowadays).

Still not enough, I've taken to internally playing it over every slightly dodgy scene of 'Fear Her'. You'd never guess how profoundly it improves affairs.

CramCycle wrote: »

The same version, all too frequently. Gold is, unfortunately, reusing a lot of the series five soundtrack when new music would be better.

The second I heard I am the Doctor I fell in love with it, it pretty much covers all my bases.

I never get sick of I Am the Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Or "Amy in the Tardis".

Why is Murray Gold's music suddenly so awesome? I mean, it was always good, but it wasn't... perfect, like it has been the last few years.

I can't remember it, but 10 had this "sad womany voice" Dr theme, and it was good and spooky, but it wasn't a patch on I am the Doctor.

I suppose many of his latest themes are based upon or intentionaly resonant with his 11th Doctor theme (Is it called "I Am The Doctor"?) which is, in itself, AWESOME. I mean with that reference point you know it's gonna be good.

Does the studio version also have the Stonehenge speech latched onto the end? I've been obsessively listening to the Proms version, and it's made all the more awesomer with the barking of 'Hello Stonehenge!'.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Does the studio version also have the Stonehenge speech latched onto the end? I've been obsessively listening to the Proms version, and it's made all the more awesomer with the barking of 'Hello Stonehenge!'.
    My favourite bit of the Stonehenge scene is the "Oh sorry. Dropped it" at the start. I think it's hilarious coming just before such an epic speech :)

also: http://soundcloud.com/stevexr1p/i-am-the-doctor-nintendo-remix

My favourite bit of the Stonehenge scene is the "Oh sorry. Dropped it" at the start. I think it's hilarious coming just before such an epic speech :)

also: http://soundcloud.com/stevexr1p/i-am-the-doctor-nintendo-remix

I know! It's also the cutest thing ever, which is odd considering what he's about to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

I suppose many of his latest themes are based upon or intentionaly resonant with his 11th Doctor theme (Is it called "I Am The Doctor"?) which is, in itself, AWESOME. I mean with that reference point you know it's gonna be good.

11's theme is pretty awesome alright. I just hope it doesn't get over used. I like to think that when you hear the theme, you know something epic is happening. I liked Ten's "action theme" (as opposed to what Doctor Doom describes as the 'sad womanly voice theme', which was still ok), but 11's theme would have to be my favourite. Strange thought maybe, but I can imagine "I am the Doctor" (or is it "Every star, every planet"?) playing when he finally regenerates (hopefully a long while away yet), arms out stretched, brave and triumphant. A great example of how a good theme can really add to a character.

Why is Murray Gold's music suddenly so awesome? I mean, it was always good, but it wasn't... perfect, like it has been the last few years.

I can't remember it, but 10 had this "sad womany voice" Dr theme, and it was good and spooky, but it wasn't a patch on I am the Doctor.

Different direction maybe? I do wonder how composers for TV / film work; do they just go off and do their own thing based on the script or draft-edits, or do they actually get direction from the production team?

I concur though; Gold's stuff has been excellent in series 5/6, the new theme for the Doctor in particular is stirring stuff, it really gets you going. The same though can be said of the visuals too - I don't recall the Tennant years looking so ... cinematic? Epic?

pixelburp wrote: »

Different direction maybe? I do wonder how composers for TV / film work; do they just go off and do their own thing based on the script or draft-edits, or do they actually get direction from the production team?

It depends on the composer, and the amount of free rein the directors and producers are willing to give them. Most films have a producer-inserted sample score which gives an idea of the mood of the scene they're looking for, and then the composer works from there, but some composers (most notably John Williams, who can get away with it because he's famous) refuse to work with sample scores.

I'd guess what happened in Gold's case is that the producers took him into their office and said "right, this is how our new Doctor acts. These are the new companions, and this is what we want the overall feel of the show to be. Write us something that fits that." I wouldn't say his music has gotten better as such - it's still very clearly his in style, but he's struck gold (har har) with a couple of the themes - I enjoy the I Am The Doctor theme, but possibly my favourite from season 5 was the classic-sci-fi-esque Silurian theme - and he's writing less of an action score now, which suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

• Advertisement
Advertisement