Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm after falling in love with Martha Well's Murderbot Diaries. What a charming character development and writing style and so up my street its unreal. Have read all 5 novellas and Network Effect twice now and have to stop myself starting over again. Feck it. Why would I stop myself? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nearly finished book 3 of the Harry dresden files by jim butcher.

Nice easy read... Wizard private dick stories set in contemporary Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nearly finished book 3 of the Harry dresden files by jim butcher.

Nice easy read... Wizard private dick stories set in contemporary Chicago.

They are good craic. Some of them are very good. The last two have been dreadful though, hope he returns to form whenever the next one arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Finished the three books in the poppy war trilogy. Would recommend, but wouldn't rave about.

Now onto "under heaven", to keep with the chinese theme. I love Guy Gavriel Kay and so far it is very good, but not far into it.

I find reading on a kindle I tend to rush books sometimes when i know i have a good book to move onto next, so I did kind of push through the end of the poppy war trilogy quickly. Other thing with a kindle is that you can miss the title of books you are reading, I actually don't remember what the title of the third book was, even though i finished it a day or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All the Cradle books are free, today only, thats the deal of the year!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753FP6SP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"The Human" by Neal Asher, the final book in his 'Rise of the Jain' trilogy. Wasn't a big fan of this - it felt like one OTT over-powered battle sequence, where Asher just spewed a load of pseudo-technical science. There was next to no character development as everyone "evolves" into a sort of battle machine - it's somewhat the point but it doesn't make for interesting reading where you don't really care about any of the characters. The whole trilogy could easily have been condensed into two, maybe even one, book and cut out on some of the detached battles. Perhaps time for a little break from Asher after 25+ books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

ixoy wrote: »
    "The Human" by Neal Asher, the final book in his 'Rise of the Jain' trilogy. Wasn't a big fan of this - it felt like one OTT over-powered battle sequence, where Asher just spewed a load of pseudo-technical science. There was next to no character development as everyone "evolves" into a sort of battle machine - it's somewhat the point but it doesn't make for interesting reading where you don't really care about any of the characters. The whole trilogy could easily have been condensed into two, maybe even one, book and cut out on some of the detached battles. Perhaps time for a little break from Asher after 25+ books.

Have to agree, disappointing streak from one of my favourites. Having said that Lockdown Tales is a good read

I've finished "under heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay.

It was beyond excellent, do yourself a favour and read this book if you haven't yet.

Based on these historical events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Lushan_Rebellion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Finished the first Expanse novel, Leviathan Awakes. Halfway through I thought it was the best SF I'd read in years, than it went all aimless for a long while until a decent ending. It redeemed itself enough to make me read the second at some point.....

Think I'm on the third. I'm taking a break though. Quite dense and as you say often rambles. I'm very impressed with how they made the TV show script.

I'm back reading some of the lost stars series. Very simplistic in many aspects (and annoyingly so) but the ship combat and tactics in space is really why you'd read them.

Annoying part is the Kindle interface. It's just so bad. There's is no way to know which book follows another. Collections are not that much help. Also why can't publishers put the dang number in the title.

Read Project Hail Mary, not as irritating as the Martian and it had a good premise but still a very annoying writing style, smug geek saying I did this, then I did this, then I did this.

Moved on to A Memory Called Empire now and loving it, reminds me of The Culture.
    Fian wrote: »
    I've finished "under heaven" by Guy Gavriel Kay.

It was beyond excellent, do yourself a favour and read this book if you haven't yet.

Based on these historical events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Lushan_Rebellion
    The sequel is just as good, an amazing pair of books.

• Advertisement

Oh yes, new Adrian Tchaikovsky time. Trilogy practically finished by the sounds of it...

udRNKgA.jpg
    Shards of Earth, book 1 of the Final Architecture series, is out in the UK today! (US readers will see their edition in August, so apologies for that.)

This is the start of my space opera series, meaning it's SF where I get to play with toys that probably couldn't exist under real physics, such as FTL travel and artificial gravity. Given that it's me, of course, the precise parameters for how all this works in the book got pretty intricate and expanded to become the core of what's going on

In Shards of Earth, the aforementioned Earth got twisted into an avant-garde sculpture by a moon-sized entity known as an Architect, prompting a centiry long 'war' that was mostly just humans fleeing across the galaxy as their colonies were served similarly, one by one. Humans developed a secret weapon known as Intermediaries, people whose surgically-mauled brains were able to reach out and contact the Architects. And as soon as they managed that, the Architects just… left.

Fifty years later, Idris, one of the last of the original Ints, is keeping his head down on a tatty old salvage ship known as the Vulture God. Ints are also able to navigate ships through unspace without having to stick to the existing pathways between star systems, making them fantastically valuable to commercial and military traffic. Hence, from being war heroes, Intermediaries are now a commodity, made wholesale out of convicts and undesirables in a ruinously wasteful process. Idris, who has neither aged nor slept since the war, just wants to stay under the radar. Until, on one of their deep-space salvage jobs, the crew of the Vulture God find fresh evidence that the Architects are back…

The universe of Shards of Earth was (and continues to be, as I'm currently working on the third and final volume) enormous fun to write. It's full of alien cultures, weird planets and outrageous characters. A couple of my favourites amongst the supporting cast include Aklu the Unspeakable (the Razor and the Hook) an alien gangster… or maybe gangster, because it's sufficiently alien that what it thinks of its role in events is entirely opaque; and Trine, a colony of cybernetic insects (of course!) originally created as a records repository for archaeologists which has, through dint of just existing for decades longer than intended, become a self-proclaimed expert in the field.

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yes, new Adrian Tchaikovsky time. Trilogy practically finished by the sounds of it...
    I'm 26% in and very much enjoying it so far :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Priory of the orange tree - loved it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished the fourth book in the Bobiverse series, light enough but really great fun on audible for when your doing chores around the house. Not exactly Sci-Fi / Fantasy but just started into The Windup Bird Chronicle by Murukami and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Thargor wrote: »

Currently relistening to children of time. One of my all time faves so might have to check this out. But also trying to get back into reading reading over the summer and am about 10% into House of Leaves, my fourth attempt at reading it so it might have to wait..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smacl wrote: »
    Finished the fourth book in the Bobiverse series, light enough but really great fun on audible for when your doing chores around the house. Not exactly Sci-Fi / Fantasy but just started into The Windup Bird Chronicle by Murukami and loving it.

Love Murakami

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Just finished book 2 of Miles Cameron's Cold Iron trilogy.

These are real page turners, reminds me of Wheel of Time but faster paced.

Starting book 3 tonight, eager to find out how this will all end.

* 'Shards of Earth' by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the first book in his 'The Final Architects' trilogy. I really enjoyed this space opera. The author, as stated above, had a lot of fun writing it and it shows because it's a lot of fun to read. Good characters, an interesting plot, strong pacing, good worldbuilding, etc. It's short too - which is the only downside as I've to wait now for the next book. It being Tchaikovsky he'll probably publish 24 more works in the interim.
    Oh and a strong way for me to finish this year's "Goodreads Reading Challenge" (yeah, I think I underestimated the books I'd get through...).

* 'Crowfall' by Ed McDonald, the final book in his Raven's Mark trilogy. A solid end to the series. For me it helps that each book is somewhat standalone but builds on the foundations of the previous ones. This one is a little bit more different than previous ones (for spoiler reasons) but it helps remove the chance of what might have been a tad repetitive as a result. A good series, if not an outstanding one.

Finished "river of stars" guy gavriel Kay.

Excellent, though I preferred "under heaven" tbh.

Now onto "Klara and the Sun", Kazuo Ishiguro. That book is starting slowly but we will see.

Finished "Klara and the sun."

"strange but good" is probably the best description I can give of it.

Not as moving as "never let me go" imo, but it did have a similar sort of poignancy, could see it being made into a tearjerker type film.

I am going on holiday in a month and am kind of keen to save some good books for that rather than starting them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Rereading The Vor Game by Bujold - space opera at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Piranesi, Susanna Clarke. Absolutely loved it. Very different in plot, structure, etc. to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, but maybe not in tone, now that I think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Xofpod wrote: »
    Piranesi, Susanna Clarke. Absolutely loved it. Very different in plot, structure, etc. to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, but maybe not in tone, now that I think about it...

I didn't care for it much at all, saw a lot of signs that Clarke was ill during its writing. To each their own, obviously, glad you enjoyed it.

Reading "Cold Iron" by Miles Cameron. Good stuff though I'd say he's one of many writers that lack "the gift of names," his character names are, well, meh. But the story line works and the slow drip of 'what's happening in the world' is interesting.

Also just finished "The Expert System's Brother" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Nice read, predictable but well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Back to the Dark Tower for me with Book 6- song of susannah. Must be a short enough book, only started yesterday and already 33% complete. Going to finish dark tower series and maybe read some more from King.

Dark Tower reread in my near future aswell. Pity about the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Glebee wrote: »
    Back to the Dark Tower for me with Book 6- song of susannah. Must be a short enough book, only started yesterday and already 33% complete. Going to finish dark tower series and maybe read some more from King.

The Talisman is on my re-read pile at the moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Approx 30% through Becky Chambers' latest The Galaxy, and The Ground Within. A marked improvement on her last, and while there's still that slow & ambling pace, it's not as narrative inert as her book aboard the Exodan fleet was. The alien characters remain a joy to read, empathic but complex and thoroughly engaging (though her insistence on using the contrived "xyr" pronoun frustrates and confirms to me how utterly ungainly it is among prose). She really finds that balance between magnetic and totally alien: these aren't just human beings with funny heads, but are also distinctly alien in their perspectives too. Apparently, this is to be her last set in this universe ... ... her agent might have other ideas though :D

Also reading A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe; again about a third through it. It's OK, you can sense the author really wants to write that sassy, snappy dialogue popular with 'de kids. I like the premise though; what if Space civilisations, but magic was real, just another tenet of science, and thoroughly industrialised at this point in the future? It's debatable the idea is just some pointless window dressing mind you, given it immediately makes a PoV character someone who doesn't have this genetic ability to cast. I suspect if I sat back and trotted through the story in my head, the fact magic is just another resource in this world doesn't really have an effect on the plot or characters.

Finally, about a tenth into Tiamat's Wrath, the 8th and second last novel in The Expanse series. It's so jarring to read a series that uppends its universe's status quo this definitely. Im not sure scattering the Rocinante's crew to the winds is a great idea but at this stage I'm all in on their respective fates. As I read I keep thinking of the TV show ... ... and how ending on season 6 is going to be a very tricky needle to thread - to the point of being impossible IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »

Finished up Book 6, very underwhelmed overall. All just a bit mental at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pixelburp wrote: »
    Approx 30% through Becky Chambers' latest The Galaxy, and The Ground Within. A marked improvement on her last, and while there's still that slow & ambling pace, it's not as narrative inert as her book aboard the Exodan fleet was. The alien characters remain a joy to read, empathic but complex and thoroughly engaging (though her insistence on using the contrived "xyr" pronoun frustrates and confirms to me how utterly ungainly it is among prose). She really finds that balance between magnetic and totally alien: these aren't just human beings with funny heads, but are also distinctly alien in their perspectives too. Apparently, this is to be her last set in this universe ... ... her agent might have other ideas though :D

The book was interesting but like one big long interlude. I only way to describe it. Xyr was doing my head in

Reading the new Tchaikovsky and enjoying it Shards of Earth
    Maybe one day I'll give Dogs of War another go, I didnt get into it at all

• Advertisement

* 'A Veil of Spears' by Bradley P. Beaulieu, the third book in his 'The Song of Shattered Sands' series. Another installment in his sword'n'sandals desert-based epic. It suffers a little from being the middle book in his series (there's six in total!) but the various plots were nicely tied together in the finale for a set up for the final book.

Next up: some new Malazan-based work from Erikson with 'The God is Not Willing'. Only been waiting for this for over a decade.

Advertisement