Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Hey - interesting thread... I am thinking of moving to greystones with my gf. I work in the city center and was wondering what the commute would be like. I work about 25 mins walk from pearse street. Does anyone do this commute? What do you do, drive, take the dart? How busy does it get on the 8am-ish darts? Any advice much appreciated...

Cheers,
    -mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

You will always get a seat on the DART in Greystones in the morning. I used to get the 8:05, but now I get the 8:30 and have never seen anyone have to stand. I only go to Dun Laoghaire so I cannot tell you how things get nearer to town but when you get on you should be okay.
    The feeder bus to the DART is the lifesaver - it means you don't have to drive to the DART station, or even god forbid have a 20 minute walk morning and evening.
    It was very busy around the showhouses yesterday again - looks like another new release of units. We are delighted our house is now costing €360 where it cost us €335 - and we only moved in at the end of June!!
    MPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

Hi folks- I think Charlesland is going to be the friendliest estate in Ireland! Everyone seems so nice! Myself and boyf have bought in Charlesland park - still in the early stages - completion date is Feb 06 - which (hopefully) means May - more time to save!! Does anyone know the cost of the park and ride facility in the Dart station (for those of us who miss the feeder bus) and is there lots of parking available too?

I'm sooooooooooo excited!!!!

The Park and Ride Car Park in Greystones is FREE :D
    I used it a few times when I was going for interviews. What did you buy in Charlesland Park?
    MPA

wow that's cool that it's free! We got a two bed townhouse - the 3 beds are fab too but a bit too pricey for first timers! Really looking forward to it now, it's great that they are going up in value so fast too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

it's great that they are going up in value so fast too!

The "rise" in value is only what the builder is trying to sell them for. Case in point, ours cost 390k, but next phase is being sold for 450!! Looks good, but I doubt very much anyone other than somebody who does not have to pay stamp duty would shell out that much.

That said, in a year or two when the business centre goes up and the link road is completed, you should see a real rise in prices, not what Durkan is trying to sell them for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

daveco23 wrote:
    but I doubt very much anyone other than somebody who does not have to pay stamp duty would shell out that much.

I thought all new houses were exempt from stamp duty, even if you aren't a first time buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah yes, charlesland. The town 'just beside' Greystones.

Known locally as "Tallaghtfornia" :D

I would not even say it is "Just beside" Greystones to be honest. It is a good 20 minute walk. I am sure Charlesland will become its own little village in time. The only "locals" I have not heard complaining about the place are the ones who own businesses in the area - they are the ones who are doing very well :rolleyes:
    I suppose the real people who love Greystones are more worried about the harbour development than all the bodies moving in up the road.

On another note we have mice in our duplex!! I spotted one last night while making dinner - needless to say we then went to the chineese. We have the plug in unit thing to stop them and he literally ran right under it. We set 4 traps last night but no sign of him. My husband thinks my screaming (it was loud) might have frightened him out through the pipes.
    MPA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

MrsA wrote:
    I suppose the real people who love Greystones are more worried about the harbour development than all the bodies moving in up the road.
    As a resident of Greystones, i think the proposed harbour development cannot come soon enough. It's desperately needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

As someone who was born in g'stones (moved to kilcoole though cos I wouldn't pay over 300k for a box in Charlesland) I think the Charlesland development is awful. Those flats have ruined the view from the top road (60% of which are apparently bought but investors who _will_ sell eventually -> that's from the estate agents by the way, not local gossip), your overrun by rodents HAHA (will happen in any development on farmland) and you all think it is going to look like it is now in 5yrs time.

Personally I call it 'The Ghetto' :)

As for the dart, it is still the quiet time now. During the winter, the 08.30 dart will have ppl standing from g'stones, the 08.05 depends on what dart type they put on, if it is the new ones, some will stand, if it is the old ones, usually no one will.

As for the pubs, f**king disgrace and always has been. A family called the Byrnes own the Burnaby in the main street, the Beach House down at the harbour and also the Wicklow Arms in Delgany. Rumour is that their ol' man bought all 7 licences originally for the town (greystones) years ago (the hotel used to have a couple I think aswell). Dunno what is going to happen with the one in De Ghetto but the sooner there are more pubs the better. Kilcoole has 3 on the mail street for a population of about 1/3 of Greystones, Delgany also has 3 for a smaller population.

As for the harbour development, hope it falls into the sea.

I'm not against new developments as long as they are in keeping with the rest of the area, De Ghetto isn't, absolute disgrace, love to know that the councillors are doing with their brown evelope money they received to allow that to go ahead.

At least I just drive through it and don't have to stop :)

I honestly don't care what people think of the development, I am happy there and that is pretty much all that matters to me. Selfish I know but that is life!!
    As for the view from the top road being ruined - you cannot protect views forever, we have a view of the sea currently as well as a view of the sugarloaf, but it would not be the end of the world if we lose them.
    We are not overrun with rodents, one mouse - a field mouse at that!!
    I am from a small country town a fishing village actually not unlike Greystones. Every town is pretty much the same. The publicans have it sown up.
    Also I am pretty sure I will not be there in 5 years this is not my forever home so I suppose I am only thinking in the short term.
    MPA

wowser wicklah you're pretty negative! Obviously you don't like change. I think they have done a great job on the development - it's one of the few places where you can actually buy a house on the southside of dublin (and yes i know it's in co. wicklow before you start) for less than half a mill - and judging from the threads from those who have purchased/live in the area they all seem pretty nice and very un-ghetto like.

I'm not being negative at all. That is just fact, it has changed the look of the town and is only set to get bigger if rumours are to be believed (developers have bought the golf course and are relocating them to somewhere else and building on the course - which means that a lot of your views will also go :).

Also, there are the 2 roundabouts on the way in and the one up at the gym where the exits are not in use at the moment but obviously they were built for a reason, it can only become more built up. Another rumour is that the development is going to stretch along the rail track to kilcoole which will be massive (and horrible).

If they had built a couple of estates down there I don't think people would have cared a whole lot, newer decent builds are Burnaby Mill and the one next to it and the development built near the driving range. Following the likes of those, why not, ppl need houses to live in. Charlesland is a whole different animal.To build about 10,000 units in one area one on top of the other, beggars belief. I've also spoken to people who have worked on the development and they have said that they would personally never purchase one because of the methods use to construct them. Again, that is up to ppl to believe and I don't want to rain on any new purchasers party, welcome to greystones, it is a lovely area (don't litter :) and I hope you thoroughly enjoy living there. I also hope that it doesn't become a ghetto, but if the majority of purchasers are hoping to live there for a couple of years and make a quick buck, they might find it hard to sell if there are 3,000 other ppl selling at the same time in 3yrs (and with 60% investment there will be a heap of houses on the market in the next 3yrs).

These are just my opinions, personally I didn't even go for a tirekicking to check them out as 2 miles down the road you can pay a lot less money for a house with garden and drive for 2 cars and have heaps of change compared to the money that ppl are spending on 2 bed apts in Charlesland. But that again is up to individuals.

Just so you don't think I am picking on Charlesland, I also think that Eden Gate project a) has a silly name :) and b) is also a bit big (although apparently better quality houses but you are paying through the nose for it). And interestingly, the address of them is Delgany HAHAHAHAHA, it is yeah!!

Wicklah

wicklah wrote:
    (developers have bought the golf course and are relocating them to somewhere else and building on the course - which means that a lot of your views will also go :).

Wicklah

You claim not to be negative but then why are you smiling about people losing their views?
    MPA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

wicklah wrote:
    And interestingly, the address of them is Delgany HAHAHAHAHA, it is yeah!!

Wicklah

That bit is a joke alright, and a pet peev of mine.

There's this development in LUCAN called Laraghon or something which is just over the bridge beside Lucan village, literally 3 minutes walk and the people there all say they're in "Strawberry Beds" The beginning of Strawberry beds is about 3 miles away!

MrsA wrote:
    You claim not to be negative but then why are you smiling about people losing their views?
    MPA

A smiley face is hardly negative now is it. :)

And to answer a previous post, possibly before you moved in, there were regular weekend protests from residents who were 'overrun' with rodents.

^^

Sorry - I am not in the best form today(awake all night after seeing the mouse run across my kitchen counter) - probably looking for a fight if anything!! So I apologise to you for that one :o

I did not know people had problems with mice - or did they have bigger rodents than that?

We are moving out tomorrow week anyway. We are off to Melbourne for 2 years so I am sure we will be pretty shocked/surprised :eek: at the changes we find when we get back.

I might just keep checking in here to see how things are going.

MPA

wicklah you have officially rained on my parade. booooooooooooo to you. >:(

Development is going to happen no matter what you say or do - it is a fact of life. I understand that you are a tad annoyed (!) that it is having an impact on the views/landscape etc but it's definitely a lot nicer than some other suburban sprawls out there. At the end of the day - if there wasn't a demanding market for the houses - they wouldn't sell - the fact is that this development has allowed alot of people (like me) the chance to get on the property ladder in a market where 300k doesn't get you much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

SJ wrote:
    wicklah you have officially rained on my parade. booooooooooooo to you. >:(

And this thread was going so nicely before now... Seriously, don't let a couple of nay-sayers spoil anything for you. I am quite sure that Charlesland will not become a ghetto, and that the roofs will not fall in on our heads, and that WW3 will not originate there, or whatever else negative comments may be spewed out.

Everyone I have spoken to who is moving there (luckily for me, that includes 3 other couples from my original locality of Blackrock) is really nice and positive about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I doubt the rooves will fall in on your heads whatever the hell they are. :D

Look, I not out to spoil anything, just give an opinion of someone from the area. No one minds new developments, but any new development should be in keeping with the existing town. Charlesland is not, imho, in keeping with how Greystones was, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it bar moan on sites like this :).

I sincerely hope that everyone who buys in Charlesland enjoys living in Greystones because it is lovely place to live. It will also increase (hopefully) trade in the town thereby keeping existing enterprises alive (I recommend the Happy Pear for excellent smoothies).

I also use Superquinn because it is on my way home from the Dart, I've also bought a pizza in Godfathers, so it is not like I boycott the place, the road through is also handy for me.

One of my friends has also bought a place down there but I think he was nuts, considering what he could've got for the same money just down the road.

Anyway, enjoy it and I hope I'm not sitting here in 5 yrs with a smug grin on my face thinking "told you so". :)

eoin_s wrote:

Everyone I have spoken to who is moving there (luckily for me, that includes 3 other couples from my original locality of Blackrock) is really nice and positive about the whole thing.

That's great Eoin - I'm also from blackrock and i know loads from there that are buying or have already bought and they all are ridiculously happy :D in charlesland!! - So I'm getting back on the positive vibe now! yaaaaaaaaaay!!! :p

eoin_s wrote:
    I thought all new houses were exempt from stamp duty, even if you aren't a first time buyer?

True, but people looking to buy in charlesland as second hand homes in years to come will have to pay stamp duty as they will be no longer new homes.

Wicklah - Development of rural areas is inevitable. Appreciate the points you are making and they are quite valid, but describing charlesland as "The Ghetto" will not win you many friends on this thread.

I for one see the area being populated by people who all have a common goal - to make life in Charlesland as fun and comfortable as possible. People on this thread have common objectives - buying a place they can call their own, starting / raising families, and making new friends. Unlike many other developments in Dublin / North Wicklow, Charlesland / Greystones is not an urban sprawl with no facilities - everything you want is at your doorstep.

As far as further development is concerned - its going to happen. I was raised in Cabinteely and over the past 25 years I have seen it go from boardering the countryside to becoming a fully fledged suburb of dublin. The same thing will happen to greystones - as more residential development comes on line, so too will business development.

No new development is perfect, but compared to what I see in west - north Dublin, meath, and kildare, I`d rather be in Charlesland.

Sermon over, go in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boloney

Not particularly liking the negative tone of threads at the moment!!!Wont let the begrugers bring me down though!!!What we have all achieved (buying a home or a rentable propery!!) should be congradulated!!!So well done everyone...
    On an even more positive note I collect my keys today!!!
    Mrs. A., hope everything works out in Melbourne. I lived and worked in Oz and have only returned in the last couple of months and throughly enjoyed it...Stay in touch and keep your positive vibe going on the threads...

Boloney wrote:
    Mrs. A., hope everything works out in Melbourne. I lived and worked in Oz and have only returned in the last couple of months and throughly enjoyed it...Stay in touch and keep your positive vibe going on the threads...

I second that - My wife is from Melbourne and we are over there next month for a hollier. Lived there for 3 years and had a ball.

Thanks a million guys - this opportunity sort of came totally out of the blue after we had purchased in Charlesland. We had to take it and we are so looking forward to it. This time next week we will be checking in our bags!!
    MPA

daveco23 wrote:
    As far as further development is concerned - its going to happen. I was raised in Cabinteely and over the past 25 years I have seen it go from boardering the countryside to becoming a fully fledged suburb of dublin. The same thing will happen to greystones - as more residential development comes on line, so too will business development.

And now the Park in Cabinteely is one of the most sought after estates around. I rented there for a year, and the houses for sale sold very soon after hitting the market.

MrsA - best of luck down under, and everyone else - see you in Charlesland soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Hi

Would anyone happen to have an electronic copy of a map of the overall Charlesland development?

I've inquired with Magnet Networks about their supplying fibre optic broadband service there (they are interested in new developments). Their fibre to the home service delivers very high speed broadband, digital TV and phone over the same line.

Anway, they're interested and are asking for a map for their engineers.

John
    PS - my wife and i have a deposit down on a 4-bed duplex and hope to move in next May

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Hi
    We've been living in Charlesland Court for 10 months now, nice place.
    We're both new to area, but it seems lovely. Not much to do though??
    Anyone know of any clubs to join, like book club or something???
    Still waiting to get into Tennis club, they said two plus years!! pity.
    Delagny, horse and hound is great for a cheap pint! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oeod

Ann77 wrote:
    Hi all,

I just found this board and will be moving into the Crescent shortly, our final snag is Friday and hopefully we'll get our keys next week!

Charlesland is such a beautiful place so I'm so excited about moving into it. Does anyone when the road to the M11 is opening up - I heard someone messed up on the planning and it's been held back a couple of years! I don't know how true that is though so can anyone enlighten me? :)
    They found an illegal dump when building the road so it was stopped, the road is just about finished its about 1k to go but they cant go any further cause of the dump, there is plans to go around it but it will take a few years I hear!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement